One or two ovens/shelves for Rose’s Classic Carrot Cake?
Posted: 19 November 2012 03:42 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-11-17

Hi all,

I am new to this group! I am about to make Rose’s Classic Carrot Cake with Dreamy Creamy White Chocolate Frosting for my mother’s 75th birthday celebration.

Her recipe says to set the oven rack in the lower third of the oven. But in the beginning section she says if your oven is tall enough to stagger the shelves above and below the middle shelf.
1) I have two ovens - wouldn’t it come out better and more even to bake each layer in a separate oven?
2) If I use one oven should I bake them both on the same shelf (in the lower third) or stagger the cakes above and below the middle?

Please help!

FYI: I will be posting this recipe and Rose’s tips on my new baking blog: http://www.OrnaBakes.com
I am hoping that I can help other newbie bakers like me out with the kind of questions I have (like this one) that always make me nuts while I am in the middle of baking something!

Any advice, feedback, recommendations will always be welcome - and I will of course give due credit!

Thanks,

Orna

Posted: 20 November 2012 02:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

I find that the position that works best for oven racks is the one that puts the cake itself in the middle of the oven.  This usually means that the rack is in the lower third of the oven, or a little lower than the middle position.  Each oven is different, but when I bake two layers it works out best in my oven if they are both on the same rack.  They don’t bake nearly as well if they are on different shelves.

Although many bloggers do seem to post recipes from books, Rose (and many other authors) hope that you won’t do that, as she and her publishers believe that it discourages people from buying the book.  It is no problem to post a recipe if she or her publishers have already posted it somewhere, and she has many recipes on this site, also a few on Amazon.com with her book, Rose’s Heavenly Cakes.

Good luck with your new blog!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe