salted butter and soda bi carb = Bitter sweets?
Posted: 20 November 2012 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  47
Joined  2012-11-12

In a cake recipe, cookie recipe (any sweet recipe) If I replace the unsalted butter with salted butter.. will it react with the soda bi carb in the recipe and make the cake bitter? (since too much salt could make sweets bitter).

Another question, If I use less salt butter (not salted butter..highly/normally salted butter), will it be okay if I dont add any salt to the recipe at all?
There is a butter brand which says it has the least proportion of salt in it (Nutrilite). Will the cake/cookie taste good. What am I supposed to do in a situation like that?

Posted: 20 November 2012 01:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1329
Joined  2008-09-27

As far as I know, salt doesn’t react with baking soda. Using salted butter is usually discouraged because 1) it makes it more difficult to assure a known quantity of salt in the recipe since the amount of salt in butter varies, and 2) salted butter can be less fresh than unsalted butter.

As for whether the reduced salt butters will be ok, it depends on your definition of “ok”. If you don’t have the quantity of salt called for in the recipe, your baked items will have less flavor.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 20 November 2012 02:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-11-12

Trust me, Charles.. im not keen on using salted butter.. but i have not choice downer

I will not settle for less flavor though!  lol   smile

Posted: 20 November 2012 02:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

If you want to be exact and know it will turn out, you’ll have to figure out a sodium equivalent.  That is, find out the amount of sodium in your butter, and then calculate how much more you’ll need to come up to the amount of sodium in the teaspoon (or whatever the measure) of salt in the recipe.  Nutrition labels have sodium content, and you can also use the USDA database: http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 21 November 2012 02:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-11-12

ok..i just found out..

my salted butter has 836mg Sodium
unsalted butter has
amul lite 650mg
nutralite 786mg

I will obviously be going for amul lite since it has the least amount of sodium..