Fondant Rolling Pin?
Posted: 23 November 2012 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  129
Joined  2011-01-21

HI Everyone -
  Since you all know i am a beginner cake decorator - i thought i would ask all the “pros”.  Currently i am using a small wooden rolling pin for rolling out fondant.  While it is ok, i would like to use something that is larger and made for fondant.  Does anyone have any suggestions? Should i purchase a polypropylene or a silicon rolling pin?  I have heard and read pros and cons for both.
  Thanks for your advice!

Posted: 23 November 2012 05:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  671
Joined  2012-01-12

I always use that big white one made by Wilton.  It is very thick plastic and it is about 18 inches long.  I use this when I need to roll out a big piece of fondant to cover a cake.  For trimmings and decorations,  I have textured ones that is made of clear thick plastic.  I also sometimes use that marble one that is very heavy.  I helps flatten the fondant.

Image Attachments
rollingpin.jpgtexturedrp.jpgmarblerp.jpg

Posted: 23 November 2012 05:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-21

Thank you for your advice prettycake!

Posted: 24 November 2012 08:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  596
Joined  2007-11-27

A heavy rolling pin will help you manage larger amounts of fondant; at work we have 3 18” heavy duty pins that really help make quick work of rolling out more than 5# of fondant (we roll ours on stainless steel tables dusted with cornstarch); we also have the large plastic pin from Wilton but a lot of the staff prefer the wooden ones, it just depends on what you like and how it feels in your hands.  With a heavy pin, the pin is doing most of the work; with a lighter one, your strength is what is doing the most work.  For rolling pastry, my favorite pin is a french pin but I don’t like it for rolling large amounts of fondant because I can control the pin with handles better (for small amounts it’s fine).  We also have the small plastic ones (about 8” long) for small detail pieces; as well as a shorter, smaller wooden pin. Fpr me, I found the biggest difference in how much easier it was to roll, was when I was helping a fellow pastry chef and she rolled hers out on the stainless table with the heaviest pin I’d ever lifted!  After that, I bought my own heavy duty pin and started to use the stainless steel table rather than a counter top.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 25 November 2012 08:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-21

Thanks Jeanne for your detailed input…i was thinking of getting a heavy pin because of the amount of effort that is needed to roll larger amounts for fondant.  I did hear good things about marble - The reason i asked is because i am making my friend’s son’s firth birthday cake for 50 people.  I was going to do a 14x14x3 cake (everyone likes big slices of cake) and i thought i should get a better pin for the project.  Thanks again!

Posted: 07 December 2012 10:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2010-02-24

I use an 18 inch aluminum rolling pin.  I love it.  You can get it on Amazon.

Posted: 09 December 2012 03:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-21

Thanks Kathy1