Lacey Susan’s Failure
Posted: 26 November 2012 12:34 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2012-03-07

Lacey Susan’s from Rose’s Cookie Book.  I had a failure yesterday because I did not follow Rose’s instructions.  Rose says to use a non-stick cookie sheet or Aluminum foil.  I used my old warped but very practical aluminum insulated cookie sheets.  I baked the first batch until they were very golden.  I even turned the cookie sheet around when the rear cookies started to turn golden before the front row.  After they were out of the oven, after two minutes, I could see they were sticking.  All we could do was scrape them off in gooey lumps.  But we all had fun because they tasted warm and good. 

I thought the trouble must be that I didn’t let them get brown enough, so I let the second batch get very brown.  This made it worse, they were very difficult to even scrape off into a lump for a bite.  And I feared I had ruined the cookie sheet, but the brown carmel disolved in warm water and lots of elbow oil. 

Ah - we live and learn.  I like Rose because she explains things to novices like me, but I just did not notice that non-stick cookie sheet part.

Next weekend, I may try baking them on my non-stick pancake grill!

Posted: 26 November 2012 01:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-03-07

CharlesT, Thank you, I will try Parchment.  It will be very interesting to see how golden or brown to bake these so the parchment will peel off and so they are a little stiff instead of just limp and gooey.  Do you have a recommendation for a brand or type of parchment paper?  I will experiment with this.  But I have to admit, I am skeptical because this recipe is really like carmelized epoxy!

Posted: 26 November 2012 02:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-03-07

CharlesT, I will try it.  Stay tuned here for latest developments with pictures within one week.

Posted: 26 November 2012 03:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-03-07

CharlesT, Thanks for your tips.  If I remember correctly, Rose says to take them off the cookie sheet or parchment in about 2 minutes out of the oven.  Yes, I can imagine that there is a certain point that is the best temperature and best pliability to peel the parchment.  I will learn.

And I just looked up something you said: Silpat

Of course!  A Silpat will solve everything!  Plus, it will make all our other cookie baking easier too.  Decisions, decisions, Do I need two?  Can I afford two Silpats?

And for any others who do not know what a Silpat is, here is an informative video from Bed & Bath http://video.bedbathandbeyond.com/liveclicker/fb/?ref=aHR0cDovL3d3dy5iZWRiYXRoYW5kYmV5b25kLmNvbS9wcm9kdWN0LmFzcD9TS1U9MTE1NTYxNjc=&widgetid=6291&aid=64&playlist=6291&overlay_type=6&dim1=11556167&dim2;=&dim3;=&component_id=296&width=548&height=319&LCTB_iframe=true&tb_height=419&tb_width=550

Posted: 26 November 2012 04:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-03-07

Thanks Jenn, I will look out for those 20% off Coupons.  But I want to look for a silpat that will cover a cookie sheet, I am not sure if Bed and Bath has one that big.

Posted: 26 November 2012 05:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-03-07

Jenn, As you can tell, I am a complete novice.  I must look into this.  I just read that a Silpat is good for 3,000 times in the oven.  It looks pretty versatile to me.  But now I must go look up “Baking Sheet”  !!  Ok. Do you have a reccommendation about what kind of finish on a baking sheet?  - and thanks.