Lacey Susan’s Failure
Posted: 26 November 2012 12:34 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2012-03-07

Lacey Susan’s from Rose’s Cookie Book.  I had a failure yesterday because I did not follow Rose’s instructions.  Rose says to use a non-stick cookie sheet or Aluminum foil.  I used my old warped but very practical aluminum insulated cookie sheets.  I baked the first batch until they were very golden.  I even turned the cookie sheet around when the rear cookies started to turn golden before the front row.  After they were out of the oven, after two minutes, I could see they were sticking.  All we could do was scrape them off in gooey lumps.  But we all had fun because they tasted warm and good. 

I thought the trouble must be that I didn’t let them get brown enough, so I let the second batch get very brown.  This made it worse, they were very difficult to even scrape off into a lump for a bite.  And I feared I had ruined the cookie sheet, but the brown carmel disolved in warm water and lots of elbow oil. 

Ah - we live and learn.  I like Rose because she explains things to novices like me, but I just did not notice that non-stick cookie sheet part.

Next weekend, I may try baking them on my non-stick pancake grill!

Posted: 26 November 2012 01:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1333
Joined  2008-09-27

Just use parchment on your cookie sheets.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 26 November 2012 01:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-03-07

CharlesT, Thank you, I will try Parchment.  It will be very interesting to see how golden or brown to bake these so the parchment will peel off and so they are a little stiff instead of just limp and gooey.  Do you have a recommendation for a brand or type of parchment paper?  I will experiment with this.  But I have to admit, I am skeptical because this recipe is really like carmelized epoxy!

Posted: 26 November 2012 01:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27

Reynolds roll parchment is the best; all stores carry it. I’ve bought the sheet type online, but I haven’t found anything that works as well as the Reynolds roll. I can’t swear to you that it will work for these cookies, but I think you ought to at least give it a try.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 26 November 2012 02:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-03-07

CharlesT, I will try it.  Stay tuned here for latest developments with pictures within one week.

Posted: 26 November 2012 03:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16

Also, it’s really important to remove them while still warm and pliable- if you wait too long it’s like trying to remove hardened caramel.  When I made these I used a silpat which was fine, no problems.  But the parchment should work, too.  Enjoy, they are delicious!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 26 November 2012 03:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-03-07

CharlesT, Thanks for your tips.  If I remember correctly, Rose says to take them off the cookie sheet or parchment in about 2 minutes out of the oven.  Yes, I can imagine that there is a certain point that is the best temperature and best pliability to peel the parchment.  I will learn.

And I just looked up something you said: Silpat

Of course!  A Silpat will solve everything!  Plus, it will make all our other cookie baking easier too.  Decisions, decisions, Do I need two?  Can I afford two Silpats?

And for any others who do not know what a Silpat is, here is an informative video from Bed & Bath http://video.bedbathandbeyond.com/liveclicker/fb/?ref=aHR0cDovL3d3dy5iZWRiYXRoYW5kYmV5b25kLmNvbS9wcm9kdWN0LmFzcD9TS1U9MTE1NTYxNjc=&widgetid=6291&aid=64&playlist=6291&overlay_type=6&dim1=11556167&dim2;=&dim3;=&component_id=296&width=548&height=319&LCTB_iframe=true&tb_height=419&tb_width=550

Posted: 26 November 2012 04:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

I have 3 silpats and they are very useful. I could do with just 2, but the other one was a gift smile. I would suggest getting one first, see if you like it and then you can get another one. If you have Beth, Bath & Beyond in your area, they carry it and you can use those 20% coupons that you get in the mail.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 26 November 2012 04:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-03-07

Thanks Jenn, I will look out for those 20% off Coupons.  But I want to look for a silpat that will cover a cookie sheet, I am not sure if Bed and Bath has one that big.

Posted: 26 November 2012 05:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

Stephen, why do you need a silpat that cover a cookie sheet? Wouldn’t it be easier to buy a new baking sheet? smile

Signature 

Posted: 26 November 2012 05:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-03-07

Jenn, As you can tell, I am a complete novice.  I must look into this.  I just read that a Silpat is good for 3,000 times in the oven.  It looks pretty versatile to me.  But now I must go look up “Baking Sheet”  !!  Ok. Do you have a reccommendation about what kind of finish on a baking sheet?  - and thanks.

Posted: 26 November 2012 05:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

Stephen, smile, I didn’t realize you are a novice. I hope my answer is not too rude!

From what I have read and experienced, you want to get commercial quality baking sheet - the ones made from aluminium - which is the same kind that they use in commercial kitchen (bakery, restaurant). Don’t get fancy stuff like non stick or insulated cookie sheet. I have a nonstick Caphalon brand cookie sheet and barely used them. When I put them in the oven at 500 degrees (I use it for breads too), they warp right away. With the commercial quality sheet, this doesn’t happen. I have also read that insulated cookie sheet doesn’t work well. They are thinner and whatever insulate quality they promise does not work well. Plus, why buy a sheet that has no side walls on them and can only be used for cookie when you can get a baking sheet with the side walls and you can use for other things. I’ve used my silpat with baking sheet to roast vegetables as well.

If you can find a restaurant supply store in your area that is open to public, this is a great place to get baking sheets. I found one store where I live and got the baking sheet at $5 a couple of years ago. On Amazon, you can get similar item for a bit more $, here is Nordic Ware half sheet. It is to be rated well (4 1/2 star of over 100 reviewers). I don’t have this exact pan but I have their quarter sheet pan and like it. Btw, I do not work for Nordic Ware nor own their stocks or anything, just believe in their product cheese.

Sorry for the long winded answer. I hope this helps you. Let me know if you have more questions and good luck!
Jenn

Signature 

Posted: 26 November 2012 10:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27

A new cookie sheet isn’t a solution for the sticking problem, unless you buy non-stick, which you shouldn’t.  The Air Bake things with parchment or Silpat are just fine. The half-sheet pans work well, too, but the rim is somewhat of a problem when trying to slide cookies off onto the cooling rack.  The best cookie sheet is this:

http://www.amazon.com/Vollrath-Natural-Finish-Aluminum-Cookie/dp/B000GX8B34

Signature 

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 26 November 2012 10:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
Jenn - 26 November 2012 09:47 PM

I have also read that insulated cookie sheet doesn’t work well.

I used them for many years and they work just fine. I once ran a test comparing them to heavy half sheet pans and the Volrath cookie sheet, and I couldn’t distinguish among the cookies.  That said, there’s no compelling reason to buy them either.  They’re smaller and more expensive than heavy aluminum, and collect water in the interior if you run them through the dishwasher.

Signature 

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 30 December 2012 02:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  339
Joined  2009-01-22
Jenn - 26 November 2012 09:47 PM

If you can find a restaurant supply store in your area that is open to public, this is a great place to get baking sheets. I found one store where I live and got the baking sheet at $5 a couple of years ago. On Amazon, you can get similar item for a bit more $, here is Nordic Ware half sheet. It is to be rated well (4 1/2 star of over 100 reviewers). I don’t have this exact pan but I have their quarter sheet pan and like it. Btw, I do not work for Nordic Ware nor own their stocks or anything, just believe in their product cheese.

I’d like to second this. I also do not work for Nordic Ware or own stock in the company, but I am a huge fan of their baking sheets. They are my absolute favorite sheets to use unless I need one without a lip. I still line them with parchment paper or aluminum foil (depending on what I’m baking on them). What I love is their ability to evenly distribute the heat and nothing I’ve ever baked on them gets burnt.

As Jenn has pointed out, you can get these at almost any restaurant supply store that’s open to the public. However, I’ve noticed that these type of sheets have been growing in popularity and are becoming available in cooking sections of a lot of stores that didn’t used to carry them in the past. I know I’ve seen them at local store here in town that’s not a chain store (of course this doesn’t help the rest of you not living in my town), Ross, and Kmart. They’re a little more expensive than most other baking sheets out there, but well worth the few extra dollars, in my humble opinion. If you can find them at Ross (or maybe even TJ Max) then they’ll be a little cheaper since they’re stores selling the overstock of other stores.

Posted: 21 June 2013 03:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2013-06-21

I don’t try this cookies and i will try read this recipe to make cookies. Thanks for all sharing comments.