Hot-Milk Sponge Cake
Posted: 02 December 2012 08:23 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2008-12-22

I have tried and tried to make a hot-milk sponge cake, but almost without exception, the bottom of the cake seems to have a concentrated layer of greasy butter on the bottom of each layer.  Anyone have any suggestions? I am desperate! Thanks.

Posted: 03 December 2012 12:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4839
Joined  2008-04-16

Might help if you could post a link to the recipe, but it looks like this is similar to a genoise except that scalded, cooled milk is used in place of all or part of the butter.  My first thought would be to check that you are beating the eggs long enough and to also check that you are folding gently and only the bare miniumum needed.  If the problem persists after increasing whipping and decreasing folding, then try increasing flour/eggs until you get enough structure to hold the liquid/butter in suspension (or try a different recipe, a quick search turned up lots).

good luck, and please report back on your results!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 04 December 2012 09:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2008-12-22

Julie, Thank you for your very informative reply.  Your suggestion as to “folding gently and only the bare minimum needed” made me stop and think. I try to fold thoroughly ..don’t really think about folding quickly. I’m going to try your ideas today and will get back to you on the results.  Thanks, again, Julie.  Have a blessed day.