My Cream Cheese Frosting on a cake
Posted: 05 December 2012 10:24 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1180
Joined  2009-11-24

I posted the cream cheese frosting recipe I am currently using in Kitchen Chatter.  Here it is on a cake… You see I took this opportunity to test piping.  I usually put the frosting in the fridge for a while before I compose but did not have time with this one. 

The cake is Sweet Potato—always a super hit!!

Image Attachments
SwPotSmall.jpg
 Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 06 December 2012 09:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4795
Joined  2008-04-16

Looks delicious, and I can see the texture of the frosting is ideal for piping!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 06 December 2012 10:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  185
Joined  2012-05-23

It looks good and texture too!

Signature 

The way to man’s heart is trough his stomach!

Franchise Takeaway

Posted: 06 December 2012 12:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2011-10-15

Sweet potato cake….sounds delicious and a perfect match for cream cheese buttercream!
The frosting does look like it has the ideal consistency for piping. I’m going to try it next week on a red velvet cake I’ve been asked to make.

Posted: 06 December 2012 01:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24

Thank you Julie and Cookie Monster.
Thank you Sophia.  Do let me know how it turns out.  I do not consider it perfected.  Meanwhile, are you using Rose’s Red Velvet?  I tested those a few months ago and have not yet settled on one.  Her texture is just like a cake should be but not necessarily what people think the texture should be for Red Velvet.

Signature 

Posted: 06 December 2012 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-10-15
CRenee - 06 December 2012 05:45 PM

Meanwhile, are you using Rose’s Red Velvet?  I tested those a few months ago and have not yet settled on one.  Her texture is just like a cake should be but not necessarily what people think the texture should be for Red Velvet.

I compared 4 red velvet recipes a while back and though we here in the “Great White North” are no connoisseurs of red velvet cake, (I really haven’t a clue what the correct texture should be!) it didn’t stop testers from having opinions. They thought that Rose’s cake had the best texture but the recipe from Baked: New Frontiers in Baking had the best appearance and flavour so that’s what I’m making. The other 2 recipes were from Joanne Chang’s Flour and the Cakeman.

Posted: 06 December 2012 02:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Sophia - 06 December 2012 06:02 PM
CRenee - 06 December 2012 05:45 PM

Meanwhile, are you using Rose’s Red Velvet?  I tested those a few months ago and have not yet settled on one.  Her texture is just like a cake should be but not necessarily what people think the texture should be for Red Velvet.

I compared 4 red velvet recipes a while back and though we here in the “Great White North” are no connoisseurs of red velvet cake, (I really haven’t a clue what the correct texture should be!) it didn’t stop testers from having opinions. They thought that Rose’s cake had the best texture but the recipe from Baked: New Frontiers in Baking had the best appearance and flavour so that’s what I’m making. The other 2 recipes were from Joanne Chang’s Flour and the Cakeman.

Thank you!!  This is very helpful.  I think Rose’s has great texture also (as a general cake connoisseur myself).  And, neither do I have a clue as to correct texture, tho’ testers seem to like moist (like Carrot Cake (or sweet potato cake)).  That is interesting.  I have Flour book (but have not tried the red velvet) and have tried CakeMan, and Martha Stewart.  Now that Baked: New Frontiers in Baking gives me an excuse to get another book.  Meanwhile, I am going to reexamine a couple of books I have from the South.  I am still decioding which 3 or 4 to put in side by side test.  “So many recipes - so little time!!”

Signature 

Posted: 06 December 2012 02:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24

Ruh Oh, Sophia, the Baked recipe calls for red gel food coloring.  That is not commonly available is it?  I think at cake supply store, right?  Meanwhile, I have lots of bottles of red food coloring—- thanks to my access to a discount and lots of coupons.

Signature 

Posted: 06 December 2012 03:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-10-15

I think the Cakeman’s recipe has the texture you’re referring to but we found that it tasted very oily; Flour’s was chocolate-y and dry.

CRenee - 06 December 2012 06:15 PM

Ruh Oh, Sophia, the Baked recipe calls for red gel food coloring.  That is not commonly available is it?  I think at cake supply store, right?  Meanwhile, I have lots of bottles of red food coloring—- thanks to my access to a discount and lots of coupons.

We have a chain of stores here called The Bulk Barn with lots of locations that carries Wilton gel food colouring as does Michael’s so it’s quite easy for me to find; the grocery store brand of liquid I’ve tried turns everything magenta instead of red so I’d rather not use it. Personally, I hope the popularity of this cake dies down soon because I cringe every time I add those chemicals to the batter….or perhaps I just need to start testing recipes that use beets for colour wink

Posted: 06 December 2012 07:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Sophia - 06 December 2012 07:54 PM

I think the Cakeman’s recipe has the texture you’re referring to but we found that it tasted very oily; Flour’s was chocolate-y and dry.

CRenee - 06 December 2012 06:15 PM

We have a chain of stores here called The Bulk Barn with lots of locations that carries Wilton gel food colouring as does Michael’s so it’s quite easy for me to find; the grocery store brand of liquid I’ve tried turns everything magenta instead of red so I’d rather not use it. Personally, I hope the popularity of this cake dies down soon because I cringe every time I add those chemicals to the batter….or perhaps I just need to start testing recipes that use beets for colour wink

Yup…I, too, wish Red Velvet would die down…there are so many more options for delicious cake.  I also wish cupcakes were less popular, but that I doubt that will ever happen.

Signature