Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes
Posted: 11 December 2012 08:45 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  124
Joined  2010-01-18

Haven’t seen this trick addressed here - so I will ask - have any of you tried to make those Cupcakes baked in Wafer Ice Cream Cone Cups? Most of the info available online is based on using Cake Mixes which I refuse to do. This will be my first attempt for a Rudolph Birthday Party on Sat. Questions: Can I make them ahead - do they freeze? Or will the process result in condensation that will ruin the cones? I am planning on doing a white cake (probably Buttermilk White - as Rose’s recipes are too rich and crumble too easily with kids), and frosting with a chocolate frosting. Antlers of chocolate dipped pretzels, and ears & face detailing done in Choc Fondant with the Candy Red Nose - of course! Any ideas for a nice, not too killer-sweet frosting that will not turn rock hard in the cold and fall off (it is an outdoor event)? Thanks and I look forward to hearing lots of great ideas soon!!

Posted: 12 December 2012 11:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16

Two thoughts- consider coating the inside of the cone with something to moisture-proof it, i.e., a little egg white with a short blind bake to set it.  Second, if you want to serve them cold, consider pastry cream, whipped cream or chiboust for the frosting.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 12 December 2012 08:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2009-05-17

Used to make those for the kids years ago   lol   Never coated them with anything but try sticking a cone in the freezer overnight and then sit on the counter to thaw and see what happens. You could use the Italian Meringue Buttercream with chocolate or Cream Cheese Buttercream and they would be fine. If you need to coat the inside, brush it with chocolate, white or dark. Just paint it on.

Posted: 07 February 2014 02:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  124
Joined  2010-01-18

I just realized that I never posted a final reply and pictures of how these turned out! I ended up baking them with Canadian Living’s Buttermilk White Cake (uses A/P flour, less delicate for kids to munch!), and weird but terrific Family recipe of a Dark & Milk Chocolate “Buttercream” made of eggs and melted chocolate. Anlers of hand-dipped pretzels, little Muzzles of moulded Fondant, with chocolate clay features and red candy noses. They turned out fantastic and everyone loved them! The only problem was they kept tipping over on the bed of rice I stood them in… but otherwise a huge hit! This year I made Angry Bird Cake Pops…. stay tuned for those! smile

Image Attachments
Reindeer_Cupcakes_sm_file_2.jpgReindeer_Cupcakes_sm_file_1.jpg