Awesome Sticky Buns?
Posted: 12 December 2012 03:13 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2011-05-05

Hi, I’m looking for a sticky bun recipe in which the dough part stays moist for a couple of days. I used to have a recipe with sour cream in the yeast dough, and enjoyed that, but no longer have it…
Also, I recently made my first batch in years where one mixed melted butter and brown sugar in the pan before nestling pieces of dough on top. It did not come out as well as hoped. The goo was sugary rather than gooey. red face
Any advice in time for Christmas would be awesome (even for an alternative sweet yeast-dough breakfast offering). Thanks!

Posted: 13 December 2012 09:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

Hi.  I am actually typing from work…(I don’t have a computer at home) and I don’t have my books with me…but there is a book by Cooks Illustrated.  I believe it is simply called “Baking”.  It is large and orange.  There is a recipe for sticky buns and for cinnamon rolls, both of which are wonderful. I make them all the time. If I can remember to bring the book with me to work…I’ll type out the recipes for you (But I know me…I won’t remember). If you don’t have the book, perhaps you can get it at the library (or even find the recipes on line).  I would recommend the book, as I have had great success with this book.  Next to Rose’s books, I use this book most often.  Rose does have a sticky bun recipe in both the Cake bible and the pie and pastry bible. I’ve never tried it since I’ve had such good success with the one in Cooks Illustrated.  Here’s the thing, yeast dough products, in general, don’t seem to keep that well. I do find that these are best right out of the oven…but i have kept them a day or so and not had a huge problem with them.  One of the things I do is prepare them the night before, and once cut and in the pan, I put them in the fridge over night.  I take them out in the morning, let them rise a bit and then into the oven. Works like a charm.

Posted: 13 December 2012 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1370
Joined  2008-09-27

If you mean moist a few days after baking, your best bet is to freeze them after baking.  They warm up well. The higher the fat content, the better.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 14 December 2012 05:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2011-05-05

Thanks! I found the Cooks Illustrated recipe along with a brief essay on how it was devised! So high fat content, buttermilk, and freshness are what I’ll rely on. Thanks, again. BTW, I have made Rose’s sticky buns using brioche dough, and they are yummy, too. But I wanted to try a more sweet-roll-like dough. Happy celebrations of the season to you both,

Posted: 16 December 2012 09:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

KateyLou:
Cooks Illustrated has a couple of stickybun recipes.  I think the one you are looking at uses a biscuit dough…not sure but the buttermilk comment leads me to believe that’s the one you found. the one I usually use also uses a brioche dough.  Good luck either way, they are both good.