Mocha Pecan Loaf
Posted: 14 December 2012 10:44 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4816
Joined  2008-04-16

Here are a few recent baking projects- didn’t manage to get pictures of some of these in their “whole” state, only leftover slices.

First up is a Mocha Pecan loaf, made from components in RHC.  The cake is Sybil’s Pecan Torte, which I baked in a half sheet pan (400F for 10-12 minutes).  Because I wasn’t going for a strong coffee flavor, I replaced the coffee in the cake formula with 1/2 tsp vanilla and a bit of salt.  I liked the pecan sponge a lot, it was very moist, even without syrup.  The filling is mocha light whipped ganache, which for me is one of the highlights of RHC.  Every time I serve a cake with any kind of light whipped ganache, everyone loves it.  The outside was frosted with dark ganache.  The pecan sponge and the dark ganache were laced with bourbon, but it stayed in the background as an enhancer.

Image Attachments
Mocha Pecan loaf.jpgMocha Pecan slice.jpg
 Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Three New Takes on a Classic Fall Dessert

Posted: 14 December 2012 10:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Next is the chocolate oblivion, which I laced with brandy, frosted with dark ganache with brandy, and topped with chocolate shavings.  For the shavings, I used my folding proofer to bring the block of chocolate up to the right temperature.  Haven’t quite perfected the process yet as these were still a tad cool- the curls have a darker color when the chocolate is a little warmer.

The last shot isn’t even a whole slice, it is just the top layer of a slice.  Wasn’t sure whether it was worth including, but at least the color of the ganache can be seen (not pictured in RHC).  It was the white velvet cake with milk chocolate ganache.  For the white velvet, I creamed the butter and sugar before adding the rest of the dry ingredients, then continued with Rose’s regular mixing technique.  It produces a bit more volume and fluffier texture.  The filling is vanilla pastry cream.  The cake was large and tall, two 10” rounds, each split and filled with pastry cream, then the two layers were stacked with Milk choc ganache in the middle and all around the outside. 

I did have some issues with the ganache, my milk choc was higher % than the recipe called for, and I tried to make the right adjustments, but my mixture seized when adding the cream.  It did smooth back out as I continued to stir in more cream, but there were a few lumps that never did come out.  Other ganache recipes taste like chocolate mixed with cream, but this one tastes more like you’ve frosted the cake with a softened chocolate bar- the exact flavor of the bar really comes through.

Image Attachments
Oblivion.jpgBoston cream cake.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 14 December 2012 11:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Julie,

I am tripping at how beautiful that unsliced Mocha Pecan Loaf is.  I’m so glad you took a picture of it!  I am sure I wouldn’t have let it be cut without one!  The flavor sounds declicious, too.

I would like to second the light whipped ganache praise!

Thanks for the mixing technique pointers on the white velvet and on the ganache, as well.  I wonder why the milk chocolate seized?  If dark chocolate doesn’t seize, and milk chocolate doesn’t seize, I wonder why a higher % milk did seize?

—ak

Posted: 14 December 2012 02:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

Julie, the pecan loaf looks amazing! How creative!

Posted: 14 December 2012 03:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

This is why I I have to stay away from this site. Looks delicious,!

Posted: 14 December 2012 05:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2012-10-14

O dear, your pictures looks so beautiful and diliscious!
The textrure of your white velvet is just like a teddy bear.. hmm…perfect!  I’m now forced to make it myself. As well as the mocha pecan loaf!

Posted: 15 December 2012 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Thanks so much, everyone for all the kind words! 

Just had a leftover slice of the mocha pecan cake and I think it only needs a slight tweak- next time I will omit the very top layer of LWG- need to tip the balance of cake: filling just a bit smile

Also wanted to note that the white velvet/milk choc ganache combination is well balanced, neither component dominates the others, just as Rose writes in her headnote.

Signature 

Posted: 17 December 2012 10:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  185
Joined  2012-05-23

Wonderful looking Mocha Pecan loaf, very nice!

Signature 

The way to man’s heart is trough his stomach!

Franchise Takeaway