Omitting the almonds in the Grand Marnier Wedding Cake?
Posted: 16 December 2012 11:21 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2012-12-16

I am making this cake for an office function, but someone is allergic to nuts.  Any suggestions on how to omit the almonds from the 6” and 9” layers?  Should I increase the flour a certain amount?  Baking tomorrow night, thanks in advance for the quick help!

Posted: 17 December 2012 12:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  687
Joined  2012-01-12

In my most honest opinion,  I would not worry about it UNLESS everyone in the office is allergic..  that is not your problem..  Or maybe if you really want to look like a hero (excuse the expression),  then make one cupcake for this person w/out the nuts in it.  That is what I would do.  I wonder if this person goes to every party that would serve everything w/ out nuts in all the food prepared.  I’m just wondering.  To me majority wins..you can’t baby sit everyone.  sorry.

Posted: 17 December 2012 02:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-01-24

You can leave the nuts out of this recipe without other alterations.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 17 December 2012 08:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1184
Joined  2009-11-24

Really? Gene? Without other alterations?

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 18 December 2012 12:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12

if the person who is allergic is the groom,  then yes omit the nuts,  if not then I wouldn’t…  UNLESS the wedding is ALL about this person and not the bride and groom..really.

Posted: 18 December 2012 05:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-01-24

Unless the almonds are reduced to a paste they don’t contribute anything significant to the chemistry of the cake. The recipe calls for a fine meal which probably inhibits the structure of the cake a bit. You may find the cake rises more and the layers might dome slightly. I wouldn’t hesitate to move ahead with the recipe without them. In fact I seldom care for nuts in cakes and I leave them out most of the time.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 18 December 2012 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12

this is a wedding cake and not a birthday cake for one person only… IMHO,  I think it would be selfish.  Ask what the bride and groom think since it is THEIR cake for their most special occasion ?  would they be happy about you changing the cake because one person ?

Posted: 18 December 2012 07:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4797
Joined  2008-04-16

Some cakes formulas treat ground nuts as part of the flour/structure, while others treat the nuts as an “add-in,” so that they are not part of the structure of the cake.  My recollection is that the golden almond cake (and the grand marnier cake that is modeled after it) use the nuts as part of the structure portion of the cake, but that the pistachio cake in RHC uses the ground pistachios as an add-in.  I’m not sure about the wedding cake version, but I’ll try to take a look and post back.  If the nuts are an add-in, they can be omitted with no problems.  If they are part of the structure, then they would need to be replaced with something like half their weight in flour, and the fat portion of the formula would need to be checked to see if any increase is necessary.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 19 December 2012 12:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-12-16

I appreciate those of you that answered the question that was asked.  Everything turned out beautifully.

Posted: 19 December 2012 01:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12

I only saw one question..

Posted: 19 December 2012 10:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4797
Joined  2008-04-16
extraNrG - 19 December 2012 04:48 AM

Everything turned out beautifully.

Glad it came out beautifully, would love to see a pic if you happen to have one smile
Did you omit the almonds, or replace them with flour (and if flour, how much)?

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 19 December 2012 06:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1184
Joined  2009-11-24

Yes do tell….

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 06 January 2013 10:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-12-16

I did omit the almonds, and increased the flour by 1/3 cup.  I’ll check and see if anyone took pictures…  They started eating it almost as soon as I brought it through the door.

Posted: 07 January 2013 04:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12

What kind of wedding was this ? Usually wedding cakes are set up on a nicely decorated cake table hours b4 the wedding takes place and is cut and served after the first dance and introduction of the bride and groom and bridal party. Was it a miniature wedding and somewhat generic or “organic”? The wedding cake is usually delivered even before guests arrive and way before the ceremony. I’m confused. Sounds like in this case the cake came after the ceremony.