help buying choc
Posted: 17 December 2012 08:43 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1184
Joined  2009-11-24

I previously bought and ujsed 11 pound block lof Callebaut choc.  I bought bag of callets…look like chips.  Is this suitable replacement?  The block is so much work and big outlay.  What should I have bought. Do I. Need to stick with the block?

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 17 December 2012 11:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1363
Joined  2008-09-27
CRenee - 18 December 2012 12:43 AM

I previously bought and ujsed 11 pound block lof Callebaut choc.  I bought bag of callets…look like chips.  Is this suitable replacement?  The block is so much work and big outlay.  What should I have bought. Do I. Need to stick with the block?

I use the callets exclusively.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 18 December 2012 07:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4797
Joined  2008-04-16

I would imagine they are interchangeable- the callets are considered convvenient for melting and weighing since they are in small pieces, but they aren’t really small enough to make ganache without additional chopping or food processing so I don’t really have a preference.  Both should work just fine smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 18 December 2012 09:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1363
Joined  2008-09-27

I almost never use the FP on the callets; I only dirty the thing for good reason.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 19 December 2012 10:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1184
Joined  2009-11-24

Thank you all so much.  I paniced when the callets arrived as I expected something the size of a quarter rather than a chip!!  I know there are other good choices of choc but Callebaut is better priced (and available) compared to some and I like consistency.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.