Truffle-center ganache won’t set!
Posted: 18 December 2012 09:55 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Please help, any master candy makers out there!!!!!

I finished making my ganache at about 9:15 last night, and as of 8:43 this morning, it’s not set.  I stirred it a bit this morning.  It’s thick, but pourable.  I haven’t refrigerated it, because I feel like I need to know what it’ll be like at room temp, since, ultimately, the truffies will be at room temp, you know?

Here’s what’s in it:

28 oz chocolate, plus *
14 oz of coconut milk “solids” ** - boiled a few secs, left to sit about 15 seconds to settle, then poured over chocolate
2 t. vanilla
2 little bottles of Malibu coconut rum (50 ml each)—those teeny ones ***

Would the best idea be to melt more chocolate and add it?  That’s the only thing I can think of, short of adding cocoa powder. 

Thanks for any thoughts!

—ak

* 4 oz Ghiradelli unsweetened (100%)
  8 oz Callebaut bitter sweet - about 60%
  8 oz Callebaut semi sweet - about 51%
  8 oz Callebaut milk choclate - about 31%

** Refrigerated cans, only took the thick, solid stuff from the top, which is about 1/2 of each of 2 cans.  Normally, it’s about 22%, so I figured leaving behind 1/2 can of water makes it about 35%  I think this is the right about to use, because the “average” truffle recipe seems to be “half” oz of cream to chocolate, so 4 oz cream to 8 oz chocolate, plus alcohol.

*** Even though it seems like a lot, this is about 1/2 to 2/3 the alcohol I found in most recipes.

Posted: 18 December 2012 02:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Well, holy cow, at lunch it was all nicely firmed up!!!!

Posted: 18 December 2012 07:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4838
Joined  2008-04-16

Glad it worked out!  I’m guessing that either your kitchen was a tad warm, or else the coconut oil sets differently than milkfat and just needed a little more time.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 19 December 2012 11:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks, Julie!

OMG, it is the best centers ever.  I did the ultra thin tempered coating and no cocoa powder.  It was my first tempering, and it went great—it was such a thrill to detect that little snap and have the firm coatings!!!! Also, I didn’t refrigerate the ganache to help it set, because I’d heard that refrigerating makes the centers gookie to roll.  I blopped portions onto a cookie sheet and then rolled them, and it went great—very unsticky and little residue on my hands.  Make these truffles today!!!!!!!!!!

—ak

p.s.  I went with coconut rum to compliment the coconut milk, and they are VERY coconutty in a wonderful way.  Much more so than the bit of ganache I set aside for hubby with no rum.  Much tastier, I think, but he loves the non-rum ones.  Decided against my kalua becuase I have two coffee-haters on my list.

Posted: 20 December 2012 03:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  105
Joined  2010-12-29

Do you need me to send you my address so you can mail some to me?  Those sound delicious!!!

Posted: 20 December 2012 10:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks, moderncake!  They came out really good—the combo really worked out great.  Hubby had one of the rum ones tonight, and he likes the non-rum ones better—says they have a bright chocolate flavor like chocolate ice cream, so it seems they work well with and without rum. 

Merry Christmas!