1 of 2
Jack is One birthday cake
Posted: 22 December 2012 05:51 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  129
Joined  2011-01-21

Greetings everyone!
  As everyone is making cakes for the holidays, i was asked by a good friend to make their son’s first birthday cake.  The party was at a restaurant and she invited 50 people.  This is the biggest cake i have made to date - 14x14x3 inches.  I know this size can feed up to 72 or 96 people depending on how the cake is cut - well i didn’t know how the restaurant was going to cut the cake - so i played it safe and made bigger.

The cake was to match the theme of the invitation (which can be seen directly in back of the cake).  It was Rose’s Yellow Butter Cake with Chocolate Buttercream (also Rose’s).  Everything on the cake is fondant and made by hand - this way everything is 100% edible.  Since this was the biggest cake i have made to date, i wasn’t sure how much batter to prepare - so i prepared 6x recipe - and i really only need 5x.  The hardest thing to make on the cake - was the elephant head - i am not a sculptor so this was really difficult for me.  I was able to do the body of the elephant - but the head was so challenging.  I added a birthday hat so it won’t look so “alienist” (LOL).
  My friend loved it and i was happy that i was apart of such a special day!

Image Attachments
Jack is One front copy.jpg

Posted: 23 December 2012 03:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

It’s gorgeous! I love it. I am actually making this Roses’s yellow cake and chocolate buttercream for Christmas. Did you put fondant over the buttercream or is it just between the layers?

Posted: 23 December 2012 08:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-21

Thank you Flour Girl -
I usually put the buttercream between the layers and over the top and sides when using fondant.  The buttercream acts like a glue and the fondant adheres to the cake.  I would love to see a photo of your completed cake!  Good luck and merry christmas!

Posted: 23 December 2012 09:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Thank you! I never used fondant. That is good to know because I had no idea as to how it was done. I will try to post a picture. I’m going to bake that cake Monday. Merry Christmas

Posted: 24 December 2012 06:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

What a beautiful cake!  Your fondant work is lovely- the little gifts, the lettering (perfect details on the font!) and especially the cute elephant, which you managed to make look not only like an elephant, but a baby elephant with floppy ears, big eyes and big “puppy” feet.  Very nice!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 24 December 2012 07:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  185
Joined  2012-05-23

Beautiful cake, i like that decoration idea! Good work.

Signature 

The way to man’s heart is trough his stomach!

Franchise Takeaway

Posted: 24 December 2012 05:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3147
Joined  2010-04-25

Beautiful cake, and the head came out great!  I love the little heart by the “Jack is One.”

Posted: 25 December 2012 11:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-21

Thanks Julie, Cookie Monster and Anne! 
I hope everyone had a nice holiday!

Posted: 26 December 2012 08:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-05-23

You ‘re welcome and happy holidays to you too!

Signature 

Franchise Takeaway

Posted: 26 December 2012 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2012-10-14

Lovely cake and I love the elephant!
It suits the invitation perfectly!

Posted: 26 December 2012 12:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-21

Thank you Hieperdepiep - the head of the elephant was very challenging for me - at first it did look a little like an alien…LOL.

Posted: 27 December 2012 09:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-05-23

Hahaha imagine it without nose and there is alien! It is little bit difficult to make a good shape. And hat work is good too!

Signature 

Franchise Takeaway

Posted: 27 December 2012 11:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-21

@ Cookie Monster - LOL - yes without the nose it is an Alien!  I have to work on my sculpting skills wink
But i guess that is why everyone has their own style - maybe mine does not incluede elephant heads…LOL

Posted: 27 December 2012 12:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
littlelottie - 23 December 2012 12:25 PM

Thank you Flour Girl -
I usually put the buttercream between the layers and over the top and sides when using fondant.  The buttercream acts like a glue and the fondant adheres to the cake.  I would love to see a photo of your completed cake!  Good luck and merry christmas!

Hi littleottie..I hope you had a Merry Christmas.

This is my cake. I wanted to take a picture of the cut cake but my husband was so anxious to try it he butchered the slices! I told him not to cut it while on the cake dome but did he listen????

I made 1.5 recipe of the milk chocolate buttercream. I could not get the sides smooth so I shaved a chocolate bar to camouflage it.

I sure wish I could decorate like you do.

Happy New Year

Image Attachments
IMG_5728.jpg

Posted: 27 December 2012 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-21

HI Four Girl!
  My holiday was nice - I hope you enjoyed yours!

The cake looks good!  Did everyone enjoy?

When i started decorating in buttercream - i to was unable to get the sides smooth…but i kept practicing!  Keep it up and soon you will see how good you will be.  I also found a trick for smoothing the sides of the cake along with the top…after you glob on the buttercream - dip your metal flat spatula (make sure the spatula is at least the height of the cake - makes it easier) in some warm water and then go around the cake in smooth motion.  Once i did that a few times, i go the hang of smoothing the cake without the water. 

It takes time to learn but if you are having fun - it will be alot “smoother” learning journey.  Keep up the good work and definitely post your cake photos and your questions - I to am still learning.

When i make the classic egg white chocolate buttercream - i always increase the amount chocolate - i don’t want the butter taste to “come through”.

Happy New Year!

Posted: 27 December 2012 05:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Everyone loved the cake! I did put the frosting on a little heavy handed..some had to scrape it off. But it was fabulous.

Those are great ideas. I would never have thought to do that. I don’t make layer cakes as frequently as I make cakes which require no adornment but I should! They always steal the show regardless of the occasion. 

Thank you for your suggestions. I will use them next layer cake I bake.

Our holiday was perfect. We had a white Christmas and it was beautiful.

Happy New Year to you and thank you very much.

1 of 2