Freezing of cakes?
Posted: 27 December 2012 04:09 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  129
Joined  2011-01-21

HI everyone!

Lately i have been getting alot more cake requests (not complaining at all wink ) but i have a habit of wanting the cake as fresh as possible so i make the actual cake day or two before the actual delivery date - which means i fill, coat and decorate the cake all in the same day.  I make the fondant decorations ahead of time and keep them in an air tight container.  Since i am getting more requests for cakes and i do have a day job (which pays for the baking - LOL) - i would like to make the cake itself in advance to have enough time to full-fill all the requests.

I have tried to freeze cakes (test runs)  before by triple wrapping in saran wrap and then double wrapping in tinfoil.  When i thaw the cake i keep it wrapped as i read somewhere to prevent the condensation from adhering to the cake.  My problem is when i do freeze/thaw the cake - it tastes like it was “frozen” if you know what i mean.  It loses the moistness and the flavor a bit also.

After my long story - my question is - what am i doing incorrectly to prevent my cakes from tasting like the freezer and losing the moistness?  Is there another way to freeze cakes that someone knows of that i am not doing?  How do big bakeries freeze the cakes for weddings - i know they don’t bake and decorate the cake a day before - not for 200 people.

I woud appreciate the suggestions…thanks.

Posted: 28 December 2012 06:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  339
Joined  2009-01-22

Hello littlelottie,

I can’t help much with your question about freezing cakes, but what I can tell you is that I have also made some of my cakes a day or two in advance before actually assembling and decorating them. In my experience I have never had a problem with freshness or overall integrity of the cake (structurally or in terms of flavor). What I’ve done is bake the cake following the instructions in TCB and then let them cool completely on a cooling rack. Once they’ve completely cooled I wrap them in Saran wrap and just leave them on my kitchen table. Bear in mind that I usually keep my house around 65F-70F, so it’s never too hot or too cold in my house. It’s also never too dry or humid in my house, either.  Under these conditions I have never had a cake “go bad” before I assembled and decorated it. I’ve never made a cake more than two days in advance, so if you’re going to be making one more than two days in advance, then maybe freezing it is a better option. Sorry I couldn’t be of more help here, but I thought it was worth mentioning my own experience with making cakes a day or two in advance. I’m sure there are others here who will be more helpful with freezing advice. Good luck and have fun with your cakes.

MP smile

Posted: 28 December 2012 08:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  129
Joined  2011-01-21

Hello Monsieur Patisserie and thank you for your experiences…i am glad to know that i am not the only one who bakes the cake the day before and stays up putting everything together   It is actually funny- i do the same steps as you - i bake the day or two before and cover the cake in saran wrap when remove from the pan and post “cooling”.  To date, that is the best way for me to maintain the freshness and the flavors, that is why i consistently bake and decorate in that fashion.
Thank you again and happy new year to you! smile

Posted: 30 December 2012 01:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  339
Joined  2009-01-22

No problem, littlelottie. I’m glad this helped. Happy New Year to you, too! smile

‹‹ Geniose      wite buttercream ››