1 of 2
Cupcake questions
Posted: 28 December 2012 06:03 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  339
Joined  2009-01-22

Hi everybody,

Lately I’ve been wanting to try making cupcakes. I’ve found several different recipes for cupcakes out there, but I love the cakes from TCB so much, so my questions is this: can I just make the batter from any of Rose’s recipes and bake it in cupcake pans instead of the cake pans her instructions call for? If I can, do I need to make any adjustments to her recipes to account for the difference in size of the baking apparatus?

Also, most of the recipes I’ve found out there don’t specify what size of muffin tin to use. At best, they will tell you to use a 12-muffin tin, a 6-muffin tin, etc., or to fill the well 2/3 full with the batter, but nothing about the well size. How do I know what well size is best for the recipe if it’s not specified in the instructions? I don’t own any muffin pans yet, so I have no idea what size(s) I need to purchase.

Thanks in advance for any help you folks can offer.

Happy holidays,
MP

Posted: 29 December 2012 12:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1376
Joined  2008-09-27

People here have reported using the recipes unchanged. I would suspect they’d dome a bit. Given that any cupcake size is vastly smaller than the normal pans used, I don’t think it matters much which well size you use.  The larger, Texas-sized ones would probably be too big for comfortable eating, IMO.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 29 December 2012 08:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  129
Joined  2011-01-21

Hello Monsieur Ptatisserie -
I have used TCB cake recipe as cupcakes once - i was trying all different flavors of fillings - to see what combo i liked, i thought that would be the best way.  I didn’t have an issue with the recipe.  I used a regular 12 cupcake pan filling the pan the normal 2/3.  I hope this helps…

Posted: 30 December 2012 01:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

Thanks for the answers here, you two.

littlelottie, I was wondering if you had problems with your cupcakes doming when you did this? Thanks.

MP

Posted: 02 January 2013 05:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  640
Joined  2008-01-24

I just used the All Occasion Downy recipe for cupcakes and it worked great. There was only slight doming which I consider a good thing. I think cupcakes with a dome are pleasing.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 02 January 2013 06:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

Thanks for sharing that, Gene. I don’t have a problem with a little doming, either. I was just concerned about it being really severe thereby making it difficult to decorate. I was thinking about using the recipe for the All American chocolate buttercake, but knowing it worked so well with the yellow downy cake makes me think I should try that recipe first. Thanks again for sharing. ‘

- MP

Posted: 02 January 2013 01:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4838
Joined  2008-04-16

I’ve used a lot of the butter cakes plus the chiffons from TCB to make cupcakes, and they have all worked out fine without modification.  The butter cake fomulas have come out gently domed for the most part.  Cupcakes seem to be fairly sensitive to oven temps, so if your oven is running hot or cool, the shape may suffer.  Chiffons bake up flat, and the domingo seems more prone to a little cracking on the top than other formulas, so those need to be decorated to cover up any flaws.  My understanding is that cupcake molds are generally about 1/2 cup per well, and while there are plenty of sizes that are different than that, you’ll have more issues with finding paper liners, figuring out how long to cook them, etc. with the non-standard sizes.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 02 January 2013 03:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  142
Joined  2010-01-18

Further to this thread - does anyone else have a huge problem with Rose’s cake recipes used in cupcakes separating from the paper liners !? This has been the bane of my baking career of late! And it does not seem to matter at all what liners I use! Help!

Posted: 02 January 2013 04:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2013-01-02

Great timing! I committed this morning to bake yellow butter cake cupcakes for a friend’s birthday and just read the recent posts. I have made the All-Occasion Downy Yellow Butter Cake several times to great reviews and was wondering if it would make cupcakes as tasty. Sounds as if it will (I am okay w/ the doming). The question now: My friend’s favorite combo is yellow cake w/ MILK CHOCOLATE frosting (or icing). What does everyone think about using the Milk Chocolate Butttercream from TCB? If so, can I make the cupcakes a day before the party? If not, any other suggestions for a milk chocolate topping? Thank you.

Posted: 02 January 2013 09:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

Julie, thanks for the additional information here. I still haven’t purchased a muffin pan yet, so I’ll keep paper liner sizes in mind when I look for a pan.

kuchenbaaker, I can’t help with this problem, but if you figure something out so it isn’t a problem for you anymore please let us know. I’d like to avoid this problem in the future if I can.

roxann,  welcome to the forum. In my humble opinion, you can’t go wrong decorating the yellow downy cake with a chocolate frosting. I think yellow cake and chocolate frosting are the perfect combination, so I think your idea of decorating your cupcakes with the MCB will work well. Also, I see no reason why you can’t make the cupcakes the day before the party. As long as you cover them with some saran wrap or put them in an airtight container, then things should be just fine. I’ve not done this with cupcakes, but I have done it with regular cakes and had no problems with the cakes being made and wrapped the day before serving them. Good luck with your cupcakes!

Posted: 03 January 2013 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2013-01-02

Thank you very much for your advice! You did not mention whether or not I should refrigerate the cupcakes; I think not but just want to confirm.

Posted: 03 January 2013 04:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  105
Joined  2010-12-29

Pulling away from the liner happened all the time with me.  What I found to work was to really smooth out the batter into each cupcake liner and then bang it on the counter.  The batter is really thick and doesn’t spread out on it’s own.  I also overbake them a bit.  They don’t seem to pull away as much then either.

Posted: 03 January 2013 06:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22
roxann - 03 January 2013 04:24 PM

Thank you very much for your advice! You did not mention whether or not I should refrigerate the cupcakes; I think not but just want to confirm.

Oops, sorry about that, roxann. I don’t think it’s necessary to refrigerate them the night before. When I’ve made cakes a day in advance I just wrapped them in cling wrap and they were just fine the next day. If you leave them in the cupcake liner and decorate them the day before then I would think storing them in an airtight container would be fine. If you are decorating them the next day then consider wrapping them in cling wrap until you’re ready to decorate them with the frosting. Good luck!

moderncake - 03 January 2013 08:08 PM

Pulling away from the liner happened all the time with me.  What I found to work was to really smooth out the batter into each cupcake liner and then bang it on the counter.  The batter is really thick and doesn’t spread out on it’s own.  I also overbake them a bit.  They don’t seem to pull away as much then either.

Thanks for the tips, modercake. Do you bake them for the same amount of time and at the same temperature as you would for baking a cake, or does it need to be a different time and temperature for cupcakes? Thanks.

Posted: 04 January 2013 11:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2012-12-27

What about the baking times?  I get more than two pans of cupcakes out of most batter recipes so how much to adjust the time in the oven?

Posted: 28 January 2013 02:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2010-11-29

I had a cupcake disaster using this all occasion downy yellow cake recipe this weekend. TCB says use a half recipe to make 9 (nine) cupcakes and if you do this, use X amount baking powder (more than for the regular cake recipe.) So I thought I’d just double it and get 18 cupcakes - regular size, so I also doubled the baking powder. Recipe said fill muffin cup liners 2/3 the way full. There was more than enough batter for two whole pans of cupcakes (12 muffins each…24 muffins/cupcakes).

I did fill them too full so they spread all over the place and of course stuck together and I had not sprayed the PAN since I used liners. What a mess.
They did NOT dome.

I had to cut them apart, then cut the extra edge off each cupcake. I thought, no problem, I’ll just frost them and who cares if they’re ugly underneath?
I HAD sprayed the muffin liners with non stick spray.
They stuck anyway but not on the bottom.

But worse, they fell apart when I tried to eat them.

Is that because I used too MUCH baking powder AND overfilled the cups?

I had made this cake the day before and it was wonderful with a chocolate buttercream frosting, but I noticed when I cut each slice, the small end didn’t come out cleanly, but instead “tore” a bit.

This cake as a “cupcake” just wouldn’t hold together -  it’s just too tender.
Someone please diagnose my problem! Thanks.
Also why would RLB say that a half recipe makes 9 cupcakes? Those must be some very large cupcakes.
thanks so much.

Posted: 29 January 2013 08:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4838
Joined  2008-04-16

So sorry to hear your downy yellow cupcakes didn’t work out! 

re: the baking powder, that amount is to create flat-topped cupcakes.  I normally leave the leavening unchanged when making cupcakes from Rose’s layer cake recipes because I like a gentle dome, and that’s what happens with the lesser amount.  Rose’s cakes are quite tender by design, so the higher amount of baking powder would definitely create a very tender, barely-able-to-hold-together cupcake. 

re: the size of the recipe, I haven’t made the downy yellow as cupcakes, but my notes say that both the sour cream butter cake and golden almond make 16-17 cupcakes as written, and they have 200g of sugar or flour, so it makes sense that the downy yellow, which has half again as much sugar/flour (300g), might make something more like 24.  Before making cupcakes again, you might consider checking the volume of your pans by pouring water into one cupcake cavity, it should hold 1/2 cup of water. 

One other thing to check is your oven temp, cupcakes are best baked at 350F or just a little higher for a dome, anything lower and they will be more likely to spread out over the edges on to the pan.

If after trying it with the leavening unchanged you still want a cupcake that holds together more, the next things to try are using bleached AP flour in place of the cake flour (same weight but different volumes), or mixing using the creaming method, which produces a little less tenderness as compared to Rose’s method.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

1 of 2