NYE eek! white velvet in a tube pan conversion
Posted: 30 December 2012 06:43 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2012-12-30

My apologies. I have RHC but not TCB. A grievous error that I plan to correct in early the coming year.

I desperately want to bake the White Velvet Cake in my 12-cup tube pan for NYE. And I don’t know how to adjust the baking powder for this.

I also am planning to ice it with a rum glaze. Would it kill the structure of the cake if I soaked it in a rum syrup?

Posted: 31 December 2012 10:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

re: syrup, If you don’t use too much it will be fine.  I have syruped the white velvet before with no problems.  Rose recommends a ratio of 3 cups syrup for every 6.5 cups of sugar in the recipe, yours will probably be smaller than that.

re: baking powder, I would just use the recipe as written, scaled to fit your pan.  Rose has said that any of her layer cakes can be baked in a bundt, as long as you fill it no more than 3/4 full.  No baking powder adjustment is necessary, as long as you don’t mind a little doming on the top crust (which will be the bottom when inverted).

Happy New Year!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 31 December 2012 11:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-12-30

Ahhhhh my baking powder anxiety is gone! All will be well. Thank you Julie.

i am very excited about this NYE cake extravaganza. Am baking the Black Chocolate Party Cake and the White Velvet. The Party Cake will be draped with candied walnuts and the White Velvet with candied almonds.

Happy New Year to you too!

Posted: 02 January 2013 03:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  138
Joined  2010-01-18

Please do let us all know how it turned out! I have three very gorgeous fancy big Bundt pans I’d love to use more often, but most of Rose’s Pound Cakes are formulated to be baked in a 6-cup bundt… :(

Posted: 02 January 2013 04:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-12-30

Thanks for the reminder! The chocolate was popular but my preference was for the white cake. Perhaps it was because I added amaretto to the glaze for the White Velvet…

Image Attachments
IMG_3353.jpgIMG_3352.jpg

Posted: 02 January 2013 04:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-18

Your cakes look beautiful! I’m sure the Amaretto in the glaze mad eit taste superb! Was your Bundt pan a 12-c volume as stated earlier? Did you have to multiply the ingredients of those recipes at all? Thanks so much!

Posted: 02 January 2013 04:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-12-30

Thank you!

I have one 12-cup Bundt pan. One. Bundt. Pan. I need to buy at least one more. It took me all day to bake two cakes.

I doubled the White Velvet recipe and ended up with enough extra batter for 5 cupcakes. But the White Velvet in RHC is formulated for a 9-inch round cake pan.  The Black Chocolate Party Cake was unchanged. It works fine, though, because it’s set for a 10-inch.

I also baked the apple-cinnamon coffee cake for a New Year’s Day brunch. I’ve baked it before and it’s always a huge hit.

Yes, I know, I went a bit crazy with the baking this weekend. I have big eyes. It was so exhausting that I passed out at 730p last night.

Posted: 05 January 2013 03:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-18

Hahaha tdini -you sound like you’re just like me! A little crazy and definitely obsessed with cakes! smile When I read some of the posts on here to DH his response was: “Hmm, and here I thought it was only you that had things happen like that!” (referring to cake-tastrophes at 1 a.m.) YUP! We are special types eh?  One word from experience regarding pans: I made two identical cakes in Bundts for an event (Bacardi Cake using Golden Cake mix) - using one traditional Cast-Aluminium Bundt and one new fangled plastic type Bundt - of the same size. The cakes baked up very differently - the one in the “heavy” pan turning out big and high, and the other small and undersized. So definitely if you want the cakes to look identical you must get two identical pans. Or a second different shaped but same volume Bundt (I now have about 4: a Star, Heritage, Classic and the Cathedral - which I covetted for so long and paid the most for!) Sometimes you’re lucky and find them on the clearance racks at TJMax for $20 - the Nordic one is best but other brands are also good - just avoid Black ones as I find they get the cake too dark. Or borrow one from a friend. BTW -Very lovely presentation you had! Now take a rest from the baking for a while (at least til Valentine’s!).