Best KitchenAid Stand Mixer
Posted: 04 January 2013 07:07 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2013-01-04

I?m planning to purchase KitchenAid Stand Mixer. Does anybody recommend me Artisan KSM150 or Platinum KSM156 which mixer which is better? KitchenAid Stand Mixer will cost nearly double in Australia. I?d like to use my saving carefully:)

Posted: 04 January 2013 07:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  598
Joined  2007-11-27

Get the model that has the largest capacity you can afford; I have never regretted buying the 5 quart (or the 6 when it first came out, and now the 7); even though you might not think the extra capacity will be used, there may come a day when you want to make a recipe and you will not have to split the recipe in half to make it.  If you can, buy an extra bowl and an extra beater and whisk if you do a lot of baking.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 04 January 2013 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  904
Joined  2009-05-25

If you are doing large batches the 7qt. is nice, though for smaller batches I still prefer my 5 qt—it really does a great job of getting all the batter mixed up.  I used a two bowl system for a long time and it worked ok, though the larger capacity in one bowl is much nicer than using two bowls.

Posted: 06 January 2013 12:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-01-24

It appears that the principal differences between the two models is that the 156 comes with the scraper blade and the glass bowl. I don’t think the price difference is worth it. Since I bought a ‘beater blade’ a year ago I now consider it a necessity. But you can buy it separately for a modest amount. I kind of like the glass bowl but there are trade offs. It is heavier than the stainless and it can be broken. I would buy the 150 and spend for an extra bowl and a ‘beater blade’.
And wow the Aussie price for these seems quite steep.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 06 January 2013 11:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  97
Joined  2009-07-31

Gene, so are the prices here in Costa Rica. When I bought my humble, 250 W, Classic KA, many
people thought I was being extravagant and wasting money in a luxury appliance.
Perhaps I was!
Now, I wish I could buy an even more expensive one! But for the price of an Artisan here, you could
buy 2 in the USA.

Posted: 07 January 2013 07:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-01-04

Thank you for quick reply. I had a bad cold and couldn’t got up from the bed….

I checked specifications and one model doesn’t have mixing capacity. The Glass bowl is 4.7L and other one is 4.8L stainless steel bowl. I think not much differences in capacity.

If the capacity is the same, glass bowl and stainless bowl which one is better?  What would you think?

Posted: 07 January 2013 02:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  904
Joined  2009-05-25

From a durability perspective, I would go with SS.  Your mixer won’t be of much use if the glass one breaks.  At a store here that carries lots of KA products, they don’t even sell SS bowls or mixers with SS bowls anymore.  The Artisan only has glass bowls at that store…a money making scheme if you ask me!  From a baking perspective, either are fine.

Posted: 07 January 2013 03:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-01-04

That’s make sense. I should go SS then.

Posted: 07 January 2013 10:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1355
Joined  2008-09-27

Unless you’re filming a cooking show at your house, I can’t imagine why anyone would choose a glass bowl.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 10 January 2013 08:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1178
Joined  2009-11-24
CharlesT - 08 January 2013 02:06 AM

Unless you’re filming a cooking show at your house, I can’t imagine why anyone would choose a glass bowl.

Because it is pretty… LOL….. filmining a cooking show is right

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.