1 of 2
chocolate cake bake off! what’s your favorite?
Posted: 01 August 2008 09:46 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2007-12-03

Hi Everyone,

I have accepted the challenge of a chocolate cake bake-off with a friend of mine.  I was originally going to do the
Chocolate Oblivion Truffle Torte because I have made it several times and it is beyond awesome.  A wrinkle was added though and now it must be a flour based cake.  So my question to all you awesome bakers and Rose scholars out there is, which chocolate cake from TCB is the best in your opinion? I haven’t tried any of the others in there and would love your advice!

Thanks,

MC

Posted: 01 August 2008 11:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

I love the chocolate fudge cake - it’s dark, moist, and absolutely delicious.  If I’m in the mood for chocolate overload, I’ll fill and cover it with whipped ganache… otherwise, I like chocolate mousseline buttercream (or the chocolate buttercream Bill posted on the blog).

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 02 August 2008 09:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2008-04-24

I love the perfect all-american chocolate torte. It’s delicious on its own (intense chocolate flavor and incredible texture) but I like to cover it with chocolate glaze. Heaven for a chocoholic smile

Posted: 02 August 2008 10:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Chocolate Domingo Cake. It’s the BEST chocolate cake EVER!!!!

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 04 August 2008 04:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  324
Joined  2008-03-19

My favorite is the Fudge Cake on p. 60.

If I may recommend a non-Rose cake, Lisa Yochelson’s book “Chocolate Chocolate” has a recipe for a triple-layer chocolate cake, with sour cream in the cake and in the batter, that is absolutely scrumptious.

Posted: 06 August 2008 03:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-12-03

Hi rozanne,

I was looking at the Chocolate Domingo cake.  Do you glaze it at all or simply leave it on its own?

Posted: 06 August 2008 07:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

On the subject of non-Rose recipes - check out the Death by Chocolate cake in the book by the same name by Marcel DeSaulniers.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 07 August 2008 12:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Matty, Rose recomends a dusting of powdered sugar only but sometimes I do use a very, very thin layer of chocolate glaze on it. This cake really is wonderful even on its own.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 12 August 2008 10:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  49
Joined  2007-11-19

Opinions needed!!

Do you like the Light Whipped Choc Ganache or the Regular Whipped Choc Ganache with the Choc Fudge Cake?

I want to make a choc/choc cake for a co-worker but now sure which to use.  I didn’t want the ganache to overwhelm the cake.  I thought about using the light whipped as a filling and the regular whipped as the frosting.

Also, how long does the ganache last in the fridge?  I thought it was a couple days but I don’t have my TCB at work.  I would like to make it tonight, bake and assemble tomorrow, and serve on Thursday.

Signature 

“If we couldn’t laugh, we would all go insane.” ~ Jimmy Buffett

Posted: 12 August 2008 11:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

The Light Whipped Ganache lasts 1 day at room temp, 1 week in the fridge, and 3 months frozen.  The Dark Chocolate Ganache lasts 3 days at room temp, 2 weeks in the fridge, and 6 months frozen.

Personally, I like the light whipped ganache with the Choc. Fudge Cake.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 12 August 2008 11:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-11-19

Thanks, Patrincia!

Do you use the light whipped as a frosting as well?

Signature 

Posted: 12 August 2008 11:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Yes, I have, but only when frosting the cake “family” style (haphazard swirls).  If you’d like a more professional presentation I’d suggest the Dark Chocolate Ganache.  If that’s just too much chocolaty goodness for your, try the chocolate Mousseline version, which is even lighter in color than the light whipped ganache, but holds it’s shape well.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 12 August 2008 12:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-11-19

Yes, I have, but only when frosting the cake ?family? style (haphazard swirls).

This is a free cake made during the week…so family style (aka quick) is perfect.  Thinking of just using the triangle thingy to make some contour lines and drizzling with some ganache.

Thanks for all your help!

Signature 

Posted: 12 August 2008 01:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-12-03

I’m gearing up for my first run of the Chocolate Fudge cake and am still torn between frostings.  Hearing all this Dark Chocolate Ganache talk makes me curious to try it.  I’ll keep you all posted.

Posted: 12 August 2008 06:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Honestly, I don’t think you can go wrong with any of the above mentioned buttercreams or ganaches smile.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 13 August 2008 10:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16

Matty,

I had a thought- maybe this is too crazy, but what if you bake the chocolate oblivion and use it to fill a chocolate butter cake?  You could try baking it in a 9” pan, so it’s a thinner layer, and when thoroughly chilled just level the top and use it sort of like a charlotte, a single deep layer between two butter cake layers.  When brought completely to room temperature, the oblivion will be soft and delicious!

For the frosting, I love the ganache recipes best, something about how the cream mellows the chocolate.  And if you’re doing either a ganache or the oblivion, be sure to include the optional cognac (or grand marnier), it isn’t very noticeable in the end product, but it enhances chocolate flavors wonderfully. 

Please post again with the finished cakes!
Julie

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

1 of 2

‹‹ bridal shower cake size?      EGGS!! ››