2 of 2
Making Pastry Flour To Exact Protein Percentages.
Posted: 09 April 2013 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1333
Joined  2008-09-27
Julie - 05 April 2013 11:17 PM

If you?re looking at a recipe that says to knead for 20 minutes, there?s definitely going to be a noticeable level of flavor loss

That is my concern with Rose’s focaccia recipe.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 09 April 2013 08:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2012-11-19
Julie - 09 April 2013 02:27 PM

Your experiment sounds great!  I would suggest mixing up a small batch of lean dough with a medium consistency (soft but not overly sticky) just until there are no dry spots, then divide it in half.  For the “less kneading” half, set it aside to autolyse for 30-60 min, then do a series of stretch and folds every half hour or hour until the dough holds its shape well and feels elastic, this might take 3-5 folds.  For the “more kneading” half, knead without autolysing for a good ten minutes, then leave it undisturbed for rising, doing just one fold or punch down at the end of rising, before shaping.

I was thinking more along the lines of comparing a few loaves that had been kneaded for different amounts of time, just to see if the only technique I altered, time spent kneading (before the 20 minute mark that you mentioned), was actually noticeable in taste. (If the differences were really stark, I might notice a change in color as the flour bleached.) Your suggestion sounds like a good idea too!

Posted: 10 April 2013 01:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16
CharlesT - 09 April 2013 03:40 PM

I’ve made this and I’ll say that on the one hand, it has the most amazing texture of any focaccia I’ve ever had, I love-love-love the texture.  On the other hand, it definitely needs rosemary, salt, etc., or garlic, for flavor.  On my to-bake list is to try to develop a version that has most of the benefits of that wonderful texture but with a pre-ferment and simultaneous overnight autolyse to try to up the flavor in the base dough.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 14 May 2013 02:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2011-12-13
Julie - 10 April 2013 04:06 PM
CharlesT - 09 April 2013 03:40 PM

I’ve made this and I’ll say that on the one hand, it has the most amazing texture of any focaccia I’ve ever had, I love-love-love the texture.  On the other hand, it definitely needs rosemary, salt, etc., or garlic, for flavor.  On my to-bake list is to try to develop a version that has most of the benefits of that wonderful texture but with a pre-ferment and simultaneous overnight autolyse to try to up the flavor in the base dough.

I guess I’ll try this recipe since you are happy of the focaccia you’re made from this. I’m just having a little bit hard time in comprehending all the math in this. I think I’ll need to read all the posts in here to make sure. Wish me luck on my baking.

Signature 

Freeze Dried Pineapple

2 of 2

‹‹ Coconut Cream Pie Help      Egg alternative ››