Convection Ovens
Posted: 16 January 2013 10:27 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2013-01-16

Hi Folks, I produce professional convection ovens and I’m available to answer any and all of your questions about cooking with a convection oven.

Signature 

Be well,

Chris

Posted: 17 January 2013 07:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2007-11-27

Welcome!  Sorry to hit you straight off with a question, but you did invite questions wink!!!

I have a double stack Blodgett DFG-100 gas oven; and when I bake french macaron, the shells color ever so slightly…. the medium and pale colors develop a slightly brown tone on the top edge of the cookie.  They seem to color more on the shells piped on the perimeter of the pans.  Any ideas on how to prevent this?  It doesn’t happen in a conventional oven, just the convections… but when I need to bake off 1000 shells in a day, I can’t bake off one sheet at a time (there’s only one rack in the conventional oven).

I had to call for service after the initial installation (16 months ago) because the temperature was off.  I was told the fact that the oven was off by 25 degrees was to be expected and the tech that came out told me all ovens are like that.  I think that’s ridiculous but he did adjust it but the adjustment didn’t last.  I set the dial at 275 and the oven thermometer (in the center of the oven) registers 300 and seems to be 25 degrees off no matter what.  I’m living with it but think that if I paid $8K for a new oven, it should not be off and I shouldn’t have to pay for them to calibrate it.  Any words of wisdom?

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 18 January 2013 03:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-01-16

Hi Jeanne,

Don’t you worry about asking me questions. I signed up for this reason.

If a professional oven is more than 5 degrees off it is not working properly. My ovens have a variation of 2-3% in temperature with a manual control and with a digital control 1-2% variation. Maybe 25 degrees variation in temperature is normal for Blodgett but not for me. You have even baking with your convection oven because of the air flow keeping the temperature even throughout the cooking chamber. For the gas oven problem I don’t have a solution but my buddy produces gas ovens and I will ask him what can be done.

Signature 

Be well,

Chris

Posted: 18 January 2013 08:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-01-16

Jeanne, I spoke to my friend that produces gas ovens and he doesn’t have any good news for you. He said that gas ovens either have a good burner that distributes the heat well or they don’t. He said that apart from buying a new gas oven he doesn’t have any advice to give you to solve this problem.

Sorry.

Signature 

Be well,

Chris

Posted: 19 January 2013 07:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2007-11-27

Thanks for checking on that.  The techs that provided the support on the oven when it was first installed didn’t strike me as particularly knowledgeable; I had them write everything on the service report.  Maybe I’ll contact Blodgett and see what they say about it.

Thanks again!

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 19 January 2013 07:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  161
Joined  2007-11-21

Hi - thanks for being here! My electric oven is being repaired for extreme fluctuation of temp. so I cannot use it at present.
I have had a Breville Smart Oven sitting here for 2 years and finally today I decided to use it to make one of Rose’s recipes for sponge cake. I have spent the most part of the day trying to find out if one can even bake a cake in this machine and I have not come up with an answer. I co not know if I should use the convection feature and lower/higher temp for the convection baking. Also whether to set it on the bottom or middle rack. I guess I could just go ahead and do it to find out, but am just loathe to put time and ingredients to a taste tohat may not even be possible. Do you have an idea?

Signature 

http://bakingsorceressapprentice.blogspot.com

Posted: 22 March 2013 07:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2013-03-22

A convection oven (or fan-assist oven, fan oven) is an oven that has fans to circulate air around food. Conventional ovens, which do not have fans, rely primarily on radiation from the oven walls, and to a lesser extent, on natural convection caused by temperature differences within the oven, to transfer heat to food. In contrast, the fans in convection ovens allow more heat to be transferred via convective heat transfer. Fans help distribute heat evenly around the food, removing the blanket of cool air that surrounds food in an oven, allowing food to cook more evenly in less time and at a lower temperature than in a conventional oven.

Posted: 22 March 2013 03:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  640
Joined  2008-01-24

Jeanne,
I have had pretty good success dealing with appliance manufacturers. Here are a few tips that might help.
Be persistant.
Do not settle for less than your expectations.
Get your supplier involved if you have one.
Be friendly and emphasize how much you love their product but…
Always try to get your case escalated to a supervisor.
If progress is not being made on your case do some sleutheing around the corporate website for CEO contact info and email them directly.
Don’t take a tech’s word for anything. Ask to speak with one of their engineers. That has worked for me several times. They are the only ones who can tell you how your equipment is supposed to work.
Did I mention persistance?

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 26 March 2013 01:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  170
Joined  2008-04-29

Hi everyone,

This thread is timely for me, and I appreciate the discussion so far! I have been using a 5-rack professional convection oven (in a commercial kitchen), which has worked wonderful for my pies and pastry. I would really love to duplicate the even golden brown crust at home. My home oven does not have a convection feature but I know I can invest in the countertop Breville Smart Oven that Rose featured on her blog as a supplement to my gas range/oven.

However, the Breville is very small (only 12"x 12”) and not large enough for a standard half sheet pan.  My husband also really wants to me look into getting a full-size replacement for our current range & oven that has convection. The only convection ovens I have used in people’s homes were pretty wimpy (nothing compared to the commercial 5-rack wind tunnel).

Does anyone have any recommendations for full size ovens with convection intended for use in a home kitchen?

Your thoughts & advice much appreciated!

Rachelino

Signature 

http://scratch.typepad.com/
http://www.milkglassbaking.com

Posted: 26 March 2013 02:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1376
Joined  2008-09-27

You’ll have to specify what exactly “wimpy” means. Do you mean “doesn’t make a lot of noise”? If so, I’m not sure that’s an important criterion; you really just need a fan that evenly distributes the heat within the oven and I don’t know that this requires a lot of fan power.

My Bosch seems to brown several racks of cookies evenly, and that’s the only thing that I bake that has a large number of identical items.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 26 March 2013 02:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  170
Joined  2008-04-29

Hi Charles! Thanks for your reply! By wimpy, I meant that the oven did not seem to have a very even heat distribution. I could do without the super-load wind tunnel noise.  smileHere’s an example, in my commercial kitchen, the convection oven will brown my pie pastry very evenly, and things usually bake at least 30% faster (more in the case of full-size pies) than in a home oven.

The home ovens I have used with convection features don’t seem to perform better than my home oven (without convection), and I haven’t been gotten that nice, even golden brown crust. But I have only tried a few, and am sure good ones are out there. The reason I am asking for advice in this forum is that I was hoping others might have experience with them.

Signature 

http://scratch.typepad.com/
http://www.milkglassbaking.com

Posted: 26 March 2013 03:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1376
Joined  2008-09-27
StartfromScratch - 26 March 2013 05:41 PM

The home ovens I have used with convection features don?t seem to perform better than my home oven (without convection)

I know that when Consumer Reports tested convection ovens, they sometimes found that conventional ovens performed just as well, at least when looking at cooking evenness. I doubt they tested multi-rack baking though. That’s really the only advantage I’ve seen so far with my convection features, four racks of cookies. There’s really nothing that I cook where I’m interested in greater speed; meats are best cooked slowly, cakes and bread do better with bottom only heat anyway.

FWIW, some home convection ovens have two fans; perhaps this might come closer to duplicating what you’re used to.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 27 March 2013 03:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  640
Joined  2008-01-24

Even distribution is a problem for home ovens. Most home convection ovens have a single fan centered in the back wall. That design helps with stratification but front to back is not so good. In addition you have to be careful with items placed in front of the fan as the sides nearest the fan brown faster. I haven’t seen the two fan design that Charles noted. There is promise that it might perform better. When you think about your commercial design I think you may realize that duplicating it’s performance at home is unrealistic. The comercial designs I have seen have extra space around the racks, many fans, and more powerful fans.
Hopefully Chris the fellow who started this thread has some advice.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 28 May 2013 02:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2013-05-28

I am currently in the process of taking a home bakery business commercial and going to make my big-ticket purchase of a convection oven.  It will be used primarily for cakes, cupcakes and sugar cookies.  Do you have any knowledge, suggestions for particular brands, types, or general guidelines? 
I was also particularly interested in gas vs. electric.  The salesman at the restaurant supply store said that bakers preferred gas, but he wasn’t a baker so I’m asking for the professional opinion!
Any knowledge gleaned would be particularly helpful!
Thanks!! cheese