2 of 2
Raspberry buttercream cake (problem)
Posted: 11 April 2014 03:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2014-04-08

Ah, this could have been the problem. My raspberry puree came straight from the fridge. Perhaps I’ll give this BC another try this weekend, with lemon curd instead of puree. Wish me luck smile

Posted: 11 April 2014 10:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  597
Joined  2007-11-27

Yes it is possible to add too much puree, curd, nut paste, chocolate, whatever you are adding as flavoring to meringue buttercream; I’ve had it happen and once that emulsion breaks, there’s not a lot you can do to fix it.  Because we always have lots of buttercream in the shop, usually I take half of the broken BCRM and add some fresh stuff to it and that helps a lot.

If you noticed some “weeping” with the buttercream when mixing or spreading it, then that would be another indication the emulsion was out of balance.

When we’re working with a cake that has a buttercream finish that I need to “texture” (like stucco or horizontal or vertical lines), I will crumb coat the chilled cake (usually I build a cake and then let it sit in the cooler overnight and crumb coat it the next day) and let that chill for 45 minutes then go over the crumb coat with a second layer of buttercream and chill again.  Sometimes I need a third coat, sometimes not.  You need to make the lines or stucco before the buttercream firms up obviously but if the room is cold, that can make the buttercream firm up more quickly and throw your timetable off.  Or if it is too hot, the buttercream gets very very soft and that is also a challenge.  You could also pipe lines on the cake (using a rose tip, and the turntable, to make a horizontal line) and that could help in this case.

Welcome to the forums!  Keep baking and telling us about your adventures!!

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 12 April 2014 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2012-10-14
Mango83 - 11 April 2014 03:53 AM

Ah, this could have been the problem. My raspberry puree came straight from the fridge. Perhaps I’ll give this BC another try this weekend, with lemon curd instead of puree. Wish me luck smile

Good luck!!
Hope you’re BC will work out. Let us know.
Yummie with lemon curd.

Posted: 12 April 2014 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  673
Joined  2012-01-12

I remember in class we made raspberry whipped cream and it was called “Fool”. We used fresh respberries, pureed them and folded it into the whipped cream and used it as frosting and also piped some of it. But I have not done it w/ buttercream although I made buttercream w/ jam / fruit preserves that i put in the coffee grinder, the kind used on crackers and the buttercream came out great spreading and piping and all that. Good luck.

2 of 2