trouble with grainy ice cream
Posted: 24 November 2007 04:33 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-11-24

I recently made the Triple Vanilla Ice Cream from the Pie and Pastry Bible, with the creme fraiche variation, and the ice cream turned out really grainy - not ice crystal grainy, but it was as if the custard was grainy (though I don’t recall the custard being very grainy before I froze it). This has happened before with this recipe, using the creme fraiche variation ( I omitted the Cobasan, and didn’t put in the requisite amount of alcohol - which I have done before in other recipes, and not had a problem with the texture).

Any ideas? It seems to be related to using the creme fraiche (home made), but I am not quite sure yet. Has anyone else experienced this same problem?

Posted: 24 November 2007 05:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-11-24

I do strain it before freezing it. It doesn’t feel grainy after I strain or cool it, but it does turn grainy after freezing. It’s so weird!

Posted: 25 November 2007 08:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  124
Joined  2007-11-18

Is the custard cooked?  Might it have to be pulled off the heat a bit earlier?

Signature 

“There is no such thing as reconstituted lemon juice, only reconstituted taste buds.” - Bert Greene

Posted: 25 November 2007 01:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  67
Joined  2007-11-22

sounds like you’re right about the creme fraiche being the culprit…  but , one more thing, is that the alcohol would keep it from freezing.  Maybe what you’re seeing as grainy,is that it’s able to freeze more solid, without the addition of alcohol.??

Signature 

If chocolate were a friend it’d be one needing compliance:
but bread on the other hand is a cahtartic, soulful blend of commraderie, chemistry , and respect.