Scaling up genoise?
Posted: 19 January 2013 01:40 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2013-01-19

I was wondering if it is feasible to scale up the white gold passion genoise from Rose’s Heavenly Cakes from the 9 x 2 inch round to a 14 x 3 inch round? Does it follow the same rules for scaling up as other types of cakes (ie working out volume or cups of batter and multiplying ingredients by weight to get to the bigger capacity?. If 14 inch is too big, would 12 inch be an option?
Thanks
Jo

Posted: 19 January 2013 02:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16

In the Cake Bible, Rose says that the texture of a genoise suffers if you make it larger than 12 x 2 round.  I’ve never made one larger than 10”, perhaps others with more large cake experience will chime in.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 20 January 2013 12:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1419
Joined  2007-11-15

I think u may need a mixer larger than 6 qts for this.  But I think it will work.  Beating such large amount of eggs will also need longer than 4 or 5 mins.

Also it will be a good idea to set the oven to 50 degrees hotter, and after the cake has risen but before browning, lower the temp to the normal.  And be sure never to open the oven door nor test it with a pick, somehow by looking thru the oven glass door and by smell know when it is done.  Such wide genoise will easily sink elsewise.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 20 January 2013 02:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  880
Joined  2009-05-25

Hi.  I concur with Julie’s remarks.  If you decide to give it a go, you may wish to use a flower nail (for decorating) inserted upsidedown into the cake batter.  This will help conduct heat to the centre of the cake and help it bake more evenly.  I’ve done this with larger cakes and it does seem to help (though I’ve never made larger than a 14” cake in my oven).

‹‹ Texture of white genoise      large cake pan ››