Caso Baking Scale - New at Williams Sonoma
Posted: 20 January 2013 08:26 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2012-12-30

I recently replaced an old set of electronic scales with a new product at Williams Sonoma - the Caso Baking Scale. I chose this product because of its functionality and the fact that it measures in half grams. I decided to be a guinea pig since I was the first to purchase the product at a local W-S store and there are no reviews on line that I could find.

So far, I like the Caso. The first thing I did was weigh a set of brass weights, from England with official certification, ranging from 1/4 oz. up to a pound. They were very accurate. I also did some testing to see if the half gram was consistent - so far not bad but the testing is incomplete.

I have a three month period to return the product and I am wondering if anyone else has tried these scale and would like to report back on them? And if anyone has different, currently available scales that they recommend for baking.

Thanks.

Posted: 22 January 2013 03:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1419
Joined  2007-11-15

Doesn’t the lift that holds the reading panel get in the way when you weigh with a large pan?  Lets say with a large bowl, a cookie sheet, or a sheet pan.

IMO, there is zero need for a .5 gr precision.  1 gr precision is ABSOLUTELLY fine.

Small ingredients such as baking powder, are mostly measured with spoons, and if you dare by grams I would recommend a scale with a .1 or .01 gr precision, small scales that usually don’t measure more than 300 or 500 gr

I prefer the myweigh kd scale, it is very fast reading.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NE0FU2?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creativeASIN=B001NE0FU2&linkCode=xm2&tag=myyelkit-20

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 22 January 2013 07:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-12-30

Weighing with a large bowl is not a problem - for example a 12 inch bowl fits on easily. But you are absolutely correct about a baking sheet.

I’ve looked at the Myweigh scales you recommend and they look excellent. My question is the automatic shut off time which they say is one minute. DO you find that a problem or do you turn that feature off - which in itself, being able to turn it off, is a remarkable feature?

The price of the Myweigh scales is less than half the W-S product, and the guarantee on the W-S is only one year in North America compared to lifetime/30 years with the Myweigh product. Interestingly, I did quite a bit of research but never came across the Myweigh brand before you mentioned it.

Thanks.

Posted: 22 January 2013 07:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

The KD 8000 and I believe the KD 7000 as well has a switch to disable auto shut off.  It also has optional
AC adapter.  Ros? uses the KD!!!

placing a sheet pan is a must, that is the only way I can measure evenly the amount of batter when baking cupcakes and individual cheesecakes.

The feature I love most on the KD is how fast it reads, almost instant.

Signature 

Posted: 22 January 2013 09:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1352
Joined  2008-09-27

Williams-Sonoma is overpriced on just about everything they carry. While their scale is very attractive, I have a hard time imagining a more convenient scale than the KD 8000, at a fraction of the price. I was a bit concerned about some of the Amazon reviews that said that the boot-up time was excessive, but even though I tend to be impatient, I haven’t found this issue to be any greater than on any other electronic scale. Nor is timing out a problem.

I agree with Hector that the 1/2 gram accuracy isn’t much of an advantage. You don’t need that kind of accuracy for flour, and the accuracy isn’t sufficient for baking powder or salt. I have a smaller jeweler’s scale I use for that, good down to .01 grams.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 22 January 2013 09:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

regarding the boot up time, it is true, seams to take longer for the digits to stabilize and appear as 0.  but not until i read about this “complaint” that i ever noticed.  i have not found ANY SCALE that reads as fast as the KD.  don’t you hate when you weight something and the digits just scramble like Las Vegas slot machines, up and down for many seconds?  the KD does not.

the KD isn’t flat or low profile, and it was a concern for me since space is an issue and since i like to bake with beautiful tools.  so, i ventured and own other myweigh models, the low profile ones, as well as a very expensive alessi all steel scale.  guess what, it is the KD the one that i recur more!

Signature 

Posted: 22 January 2013 09:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

regarding the boot up time, it is true, seams to take longer for the digits to stabilize and appear as 0.  but not until i read about this “complaint” that i ever noticed.  i have not found ANY SCALE that reads as fast as the KD.  don’t you hate when you weight something and the digits just scramble like Las Vegas slot machines, up and down for many seconds?  the KD does not.

the KD isn’t flat or low profile, and it was a concern for me since space is an issue and since i like to bake with beautiful tools.  so, i ventured and own other myweigh models, the low profile ones, as well as a very expensive alessi all steel scale.  guess what, it is the KD the one that i recur more!

i have many things from WS, and several are good.  such as the Breville mini toaster oven.  for scale, the KD remains my fave.

Signature 

Posted: 22 January 2013 10:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
hectorwong - 23 January 2013 01:33 AM

don?t you hate when you weight something and the digits just scramble like Las Vegas slot machines, up and down for many seconds?  the KD does not.

I agree that this scale snaps to its measurement very quickly.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 23 January 2013 12:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-12-30

If you place a baking sheet on the scale tray, how can you see the reading display?

Posted: 23 January 2013 01:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

With a half sheet, you do.  I do it all the time.  The display is tilted so even if the pan is over it, you can squat and read the display.  The scale surface is big enough so u can push the pan a little back and will still hold it, no squatting.

Signature 

Posted: 03 February 2013 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

I have the Eascali Pana Baking Scale. It’s accuracy is starting to concern me because when I remove a bowl and then replace it, the weight is a little different. 

I am so glad I read this thread. I want to get the KD 8000 and it is almost half the price I paid for the Escali. Not that the Escali didn’t serve me well; but I bought it when I was brand new to baking and have since learned a lot.

I often go to Williams Sonoma. I was just researching a mandolin. The model they were boasting about had poor reviews on other sources. I, too, find they are more expensive.

It’s good they have a 90 day return policy. I’ve used it often.

Posted: 03 February 2013 04:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
Flour Girl - 03 February 2013 04:49 PM

I remove a bowl and then replace it, the weight is a little different.

If this is new behavior, one thing that can cause it is some sort of goo between the weighing plate the the body of the scale. This so far has never been an issue with the MyWeigh, but it was a factor sometimes on my old Escali and my smaller jeweler’s scale, because the weighing plates didn’t have enough overhang to prevent stuff from getting under it. From the looks of your photo of your scale, I wouldn’t think that one was vulnerable to it, either, but something to check out.

Signature 

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 03 February 2013 06:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Thanks Charles. I just checked-no goo. I always clean the scale after each use. The top easily comes off and I wipe it with a dry microfiber cloth. I do the same to the body of the scale with the top removed. This only happens occasionally but it makes me double check the weight of my ingredients all the time. I noticed the difference a while ago. I’ve been using it because it is so negligible. But, after 3 years, maybe it’s time for the My Weigh.

Posted: 04 February 2013 07:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  596
Joined  2007-11-27

W-S is very overpriced, I agree.  They offer a professional chef discount of 20% so if you show a business card, your tax ID, menu, or other document that shows you are working as a professional chef/baker/pastry chef/cook or are a student, you can sign on for the discount program.  My family likes to give me gift certificates for their store, so it’s made buying some big ticket items (KA 7 qt, a food processor that rivals the robot coupe for size) less painful than it would be otherwise.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 07 February 2013 07:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
CharlesT - 03 February 2013 08:06 PM
Flour Girl - 03 February 2013 04:49 PM

I remove a bowl and then replace it, the weight is a little different.

If this is new behavior, one thing that can cause it is some sort of goo between the weighing plate the the body of the scale. This so far has never been an issue with the MyWeigh, but it was a factor sometimes on my old Escali and my smaller jeweler’s scale, because the weighing plates didn’t have enough overhang to prevent stuff from getting under it. From the looks of your photo of your scale, I wouldn’t think that one was vulnerable to it, either, but something to check out.

I bought the My Weigh. I received it today and it was DOA. The sales staff said it might be the adapter. I asked for a return label. I think, for now, I will stick with the Escali until I am forced to replace it.

Thanks for your help Charles!

‹‹ Best KitchenAid Stand Mixer      Cake Knives ››