7 x 3 round cake pan- daughters bday?
Posted: 20 January 2013 10:31 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

I just bought a fat daddio 7 x 3 round cake pan. Reason being, I am making my daughters birthday cake and I wanted a smaller cake.  Here are my questions…
1) how do I know what recipe will fit in this pan to make one big cake (ideally I’d like to fill the pan as much as possible so the cake can be cut in half and layered, opposed to making two cakes and stacking.)
2) I know the butter cakes in tcb have the chart in the back for other pans, but I am not a fan of the butter cakes.  I liked the fudge cake but I’m not sure how this would work. Any opinions on what cake to make?  Or other cake recipes?  I’m looking for choc cake as I am covering with vanilla buttercream and fondant.

Btw, even though its against all opinions I am planning on making and decorating the cake and freezing it. I figure it’s worth w try since this Is just a family cake and worst case scenario I go to wegmans and get my daughter a store bought cake instead. She’s three I’m sure she wouldn’t remember lol!

Posted: 20 January 2013 11:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  904
Joined  2009-05-25

Do you have RHC?  The Miette Tomboy is a great chocolate cake designed for a 6” x 3” pan…you could scale up by 1.36x for the 7”  round and I’m sure it would work quite well.  If I recall correctly, it’s an oil based cake and sort of dense and fudgey—I really like it.  It’s tall enough to cut into 3 layers.  Do share some after pics…I’d love to know how the fondant holds up after freezing!

Posted: 21 January 2013 08:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

I dnt have that book, but maybe I can figure out a way to get it. I think the fondant will hold up fine, I froze it on my cookies and it came out perfect…..well see I guess!