1 of 2
Bucket Lists?
Posted: 21 January 2013 12:14 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1179
Joined  2009-11-24

Do you have one?.  I do, although, not referring to it this moment.  Here are some on my list. 

1.  Master Gumpaste and modeling chocolate roses
2.  do other gumpaste flowers
3. Try more cakes and recipes in TCB (Creme Ivoire and some of the show cases). 
4.  Try more chocolate cakes (still looking for better than FW and RHC DCP. 
5.  Hummingbird Cake
6.  Sweet Potato Pound Cake (debating starting with Rose’s Pumpkin cake as guide)
7.  Do some meringue flowers (I think I can use Meringue mushroom instructions and just pipe differently). 
8.  Do a Rum Cake from scratch (most recipes use box, the ones that do not vary much).
9.  test chocolate buttercreams
10.  Find bearable non-egg buttercream
11.  Repeat and take heavy notes on Lemon Layer
12.  Considering comparing Rose’s carrot cake to my own
13.  Royal icing pipiing
14.  cover a cake in fondant (fo the skill…. not because I like it). 
15.  Make cakes that look like the ones pictured
edit 16.  creative ways to write on cake.  perfect writing on gumpaste or modeling choc plaque

Image Attachments
choccaketier.jpgchocolate-wedding-cake6.jpg
 Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 21 January 2013 12:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2011-10-15

CRenee, may I say that based on your your previous post for the chocolate roses, you’re well on your way to being able to create the cakes you have pictured!

My bucket list is in my head and changes often. Currently at the top is croissants, which I’m working on right now (butter is chilling and dough is fermenting as I write this)!

Posted: 21 January 2013 01:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

Those roses and cakes are absolutely stunning!

Posted: 21 January 2013 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-03-14

I agree with Flour Girl and enjoyed reading your bucket list.

I have a bucket list in my head, as well, and someday I would like to be making beautiful decorations like those you displayed—absolutely beautiful.

The sweet potato cake would be one I’d like to bake and eat.  Let us know how it comes out.

Good luck with all your dreams.  grin

Posted: 21 January 2013 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  910
Joined  2009-05-25

In no particular order
1.  Croissants
2.  Perfect my family’s recipe for Cream Apple Kuchen.
3.  Perfect cinnamon bun recipe.
4.  Perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe.
5.  Make chocolate plastic drapery for cakes.
6.  Love to make a wedding cake in Lambeth style…just for fun and out of buttercream and not royal icing…pipe dream!!!
7.  Baguette….my last attempt shattered when my hubby put the bread in the oven without allowing it to heat properly—couldn’t stand to see me waste “energy”....so he thought he’d put them in the oven!  After two days of nursing these breads along, I wasn’t very happy!!
8.  Dacquoise
9.  Make a charlotte
10.  The ethereal Pear Tart from PPB
oh there are others as well…

Posted: 21 January 2013 05:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
chef - 21 January 2013 06:01 PM

I agree with Flour Girl and enjoyed reading your bucket list.

I have a bucket list in my head, as well, and someday I would like to be making beautiful decorations like those you displayed—absolutely beautiful.

The sweet potato cake would be one I’d like to bake and eat.  Let us know how it comes out.

Good luck with all your dreams.  grin

My Super Secret Sweet Potato Layer Cake is very popular.  But it would be nice to have a pound cake version.

Signature 

Posted: 22 January 2013 10:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Love this thread smile  Nothing better than dreaming about baking projects!

@Sherrie- so, so sorry to hear about your baguette’s premature trip to the oven- after several days of tending dough, it must have been such a disappointment for a mishap to happen right at the end of the process!  shock 

@CRenee- sweet potato pound cake sounds great- I make a potato starch and almond torte that has a pound cake (dense) texture, so I’m imagining your sweet potato version will be delicious.  It might be fairly simple to substitute some cooked sweet potato for some of the flour, sugar and milk in Rose’s pound cake. You might also need to switch to all-purpose flour (bleached) and omit the leavening.  When I do this type of substitution I rely on the USDA nutrient database- so helpful- it tells you how much water, fiber, sugar, and starch are in a cooked sweet potato, etc.  It’s here: http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/

Hmmm, my bucket list has so much on it, but some of the simpler things that have eluded me for a surprisingly long time are:
1. the perfect (for me) peanut butter cookie
2. a terrific boozy chocolate bundt cake
3. the perfect sourdough pizza (actually, this one I may have just about reached last weekend- just a few more test bakes this week should get me the rest of the way there.)

Happy to hear recommendations if anyone has a candidate for best peanut butter cookie or boozy choco bundt cake!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 22 January 2013 02:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

Thanks for sharing the database, Julie!  I didn’t know that existed and a huge collection of information is on it!!  Awesome!!!

Posted: 22 January 2013 04:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1421
Joined  2007-11-15

The ethereal pear charlotte is a dream.  it isn’t as difficult or you make the components ahead of time and freeze, such as the roulade and assembling the case and freeze til ready to use.  The poached pears can be made 1 week ahead of time and kept refrigerated in its syrup which indeed enhances the flavor.

I decided to make it because Ros? said:  if there is one cake to taste, its the EPP.  The filling is heavenly, you can always just make that and skip the roulade.

My bucket list:  do a Hector’s take for every recipe on Cake Bible.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 22 January 2013 05:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26
hectorwong - 22 January 2013 08:01 PM

The ethereal pear charlotte is a dream.  it isn’t as difficult or you make the components ahead of time and freeze, such as the roulade and assembling the case and freeze til ready to use.  The poached pears can be made 1 week ahead of time and kept refrigerated in its syrup which indeed enhances the flavor.

I can second Hector that the Ethereal Pear Charlotte is heavenly. So is the Apple Caramel Charlotte from RHC. They are not hard, just requires some time commitment. But it is worth it as the bavarian cream is super delicious.

I’ve blogged about them here and here.

My baking bucket list would be to bake through The Bread Bible.

Image Attachments
Apple Caramel Charlotte 2.jpgEthereal Pear Charlotte.jpg
 Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 22 January 2013 09:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

Hmnnn…I really have some motivation…perhaps I have my names wrong…there is a pear tart in the PPB that I want to try, but for my charlotte attempt I will have to try the pear one too!!  Thanks for the confirmation, Jenn and Hector, that these are exceptional desserts!

Posted: 22 January 2013 10:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16
Sherrie - 22 January 2013 06:04 PM

Thanks for sharing the database, Julie!  I didn’t know that existed and a huge collection of information is on it!!  Awesome!!!

You’re most welcome smile  The substitution goes something like this:  water in sw pot gets subbed for water in milk (normally the liquid is the limiting factor in how much sw pot you can use), sugar in sw pot gets subbed for granulated sugar, and then fiber, protein and carbs combined get subbed for flour.  I’ve done it with other fruits/veggies, it works well.

re: pear tart vs. pear charlotte, I think they are quite similar, except that one is encased in sponge cake and the other, in a crisp crust.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 22 January 2013 11:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24

Okay ... you all are just making my list longer.
@Flour Girl - Yes, that is why I aspire to copy them (in some way)
@Chef - dreams is right!!!
@Julie - boozy chocolate bundt cake?!!!  sounds interesting.  Thank you for the database. I really just need it to be a bundt cake…not necessarily pound.  I will get to this soon. 
@Hector - every recipe in TCB - WOW!!!  Get going!!  LOL - I just want to see that. 
@Sherrie - plastic drapery for cakes, cinnabon buns perfected - definitely yes…and now I have to consider EPP. 

so little time

Signature 

Posted: 09 February 2013 03:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Jenn - 22 January 2013 09:17 PM

My baking bucket list would be to bake through The Bread Bible.

Jenn, I missed this before….bake through the Bread Bible.  That would be a lot of fun.

Signature 

Posted: 09 February 2013 08:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  339
Joined  2009-01-22

I really like this thread a lot, too. My bucket list of things I want to accomplish seems endless, and it doesn’t help that I keep adding things to it. Even if I just limit it to cooking and baking projects it’s fairly long, but if I consider everything on that list it would take me more time than I have to list them all.

Here are a few of the things I can think of off the top of my head (not particularly in order of importance):

- work my way through as many of the cakes in TCB
- purchase a copy of every other book Rose has published, especially RHC
- improve my cake decorating skills, especially my piping work
- do more work with fondant and gum paste
- continue to develop my skills working with chocolate
- purchase at least one chocolate warmer (I’d prefer to have two)
- purchase an extra mixing bowl and attachments for my KA
- purchase two more stand mixers (one for smaller batches and one for larger batches)
- develop my own recipes for various pastries

There are so many more things to list here, but these are the ones I could think of right now.

Posted: 09 February 2013 11:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24

Hey MP - baking more cakes in TCB is also on my list. I think I would like to have Rose’s cookie books.  Improve our decorating skills??  What I saw last looked great.  Yes, more standing mixers would be nice…. if only a place to put them. 

Have fun.

Signature 

1 of 2