2 of 2
Bucket Lists?
Posted: 11 February 2013 06:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  339
Joined  2009-01-22
CRenee - 10 February 2013 03:23 AM

Improve our decorating skills??  What I saw last looked great.

If you’re referring to the last cake I posted, then thank you very much. While my skills have improved over the years, I still have a lot of room for improvement. Just like item 15 on your list, I would also like to be able to make my cakes (and other food items) look like what they look like in their pictures.

CRenee - 10 February 2013 03:23 AM

Yes, more standing mixers would be nice…. if only a place to put them.

Well, there is that issue. If I could afford them I would make the room. I often find myself daydreaming about my ideal kitchen with lots of space, multiple ovens and stove tops, a walk-in freezer and walk-in refrigerator, and a two huge pantries (one for equipment and the other for food).

I forgot to mention in my first post that I also want to learn how to use an airbrush for decorating cakes, purchase a guitar candy slicer, and purchase a large slab of marble to make working with chocolate easier. The marble slab won’t be too hard to get, but those guitar slicers are really expensive, so that will remain on my bucket list of things to acquire for a long time.

Posted: 11 February 2013 07:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1179
Joined  2009-11-24

Well, there is that issue. If I could afford them I would make the room. I often find myself daydreaming about my ideal kitchen with lots of space, multiple ovens and stove tops, a walk-in freezer and walk-in refrigerator, and a two huge pantries (one for equipment and the other for food).

Funny, I dream of the same thing…..with lots of counters with some of each type, butcher block and marble. 

...purchase a guitar candy slicer.

Now this is big thinking.  I had to google this…. you need the huge kitchen with equipment pantry first.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 11 February 2013 07:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  339
Joined  2009-01-22
CRenee - 11 February 2013 11:21 PM

Funny, I dream of the same thing…..with lots of counters with some of each type, butcher block and marble.

I’m guessing that you and I are not alone in dreams like these.

CRenee - 11 February 2013 11:21 PM

Now this is big thinking.  I had to google this…. you need the huge kitchen with equipment pantry first.

Well, this isn’t something I need by any means, but it would make some projects in the kitchen a bit easier. I often find myself wanting things I have no real need to own since I am not running a confectionery shop out of my house.

Posted: 01 July 2013 09:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
CRenee - 21 January 2013 04:14 PM

Do you have one?.  I do, although, not referring to it this moment.  Here are some on my list. 

1.  Master Gumpaste and modeling chocolate roses -
2.  do other gumpaste flowers
3. Try more cakes and recipes in TCB (Creme Ivoire and some of the show cases). 
4.  Try more chocolate cakes (still looking for better than FW and RHC DCP. 
5.  Hummingbird Cake
6.  Sweet Potato Pound Cake (debating starting with Rose’s Pumpkin cake as guide)
7.  Do some meringue flowers (I think I can use Meringue mushroom instructions and just pipe differently). 
8.  Do a Rum Cake from scratch (most recipes use box, the ones that do not vary much).
9.  test chocolate buttercreams
10.  Find bearable non-egg buttercream
11.  Repeat and take heavy notes on Lemon Layer
12.  Considering comparing Rose’s carrot cake to my own
13.  Royal icing pipiing
14.  cover a cake in fondant (fo the skill…. not because I like it).  14. 
15.  Make cakes that look like the ones pictured
edit 16.  creative ways to write on cake.  perfect writing on gumpaste or modeling choc plaque

July 1, I cannot believe it was 6 months ago..  I thought I would update whether I was making any progress. and where..  How is your effort going? 
1.  been practicing, mostly taking online class,  2.  signed up for classes 6.  tested—needs retest and adjustment 10.  Complete 12. done… need another test.  14. started practicing 15.  practicing and taking classes - coming soon 16.  also practicing and taking classes

How is your effort going?

Signature 

Posted: 02 July 2013 08:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16
Julie - 22 January 2013 02:39 PM

1. the perfect (for me) peanut butter cookie
2. a terrific boozy chocolate bundt cake
3. the perfect sourdough pizza

Great idea to update this thread!  I’ve been re-focusing on several of these lately, would love to squeeze in another iteration or two and maybe knock one more off the list smile

Progress to date:
I’ve got the SD pizza crust down pat, have served it to a lot of different people and they all rave about it.  I developed different time schedules (for serving at lunch or dinner) as well as a number of great topping combos.  Make this for company often.  It has been very interesting to me see how people react to a selection of different pizzas- they all seem to love the crust, but after that there isn’t any consistency as to which topping combos are the most popular- different strokes and all that.

The peanut butter cookie is making good progress, have gone through maybe four or five iterations since this thread was started, I might clinch it with one more tweak to the baking soda.

The boozy choco bundt cake still needs some work, mostly on balancing the flavor of the cake with the intensity of the booze.  I haven’t made this one very often because I don’t serve it to kids.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 02 July 2013 04:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Julie - 02 July 2013 11:57 AM
Julie - 22 January 2013 02:39 PM

1. the perfect (for me) peanut butter cookie
2. a terrific boozy chocolate bundt cake
3. the perfect sourdough pizza

Great idea to update this thread!  I’ve been re-focusing on several of these lately, would love to squeeze in another iteration or two and maybe knock one more off the list smile

Progress to date:
I’ve got the SD pizza crust down pat, have served it to a lot of different people and they all rave about it.  I developed different time schedules (for serving at lunch or dinner) as well as a number of great topping combos.  Make this for company often.  It has been very interesting to me see how people react to a selection of different pizzas- they all seem to love the crust, but after that there isn’t any consistency as to which topping combos are the most popular- different strokes and all that.

The peanut butter cookie is making good progress, have gone through maybe four or five iterations since this thread was started, I might clinch it with one more tweak to the baking soda.

The boozy choco bundt cake still needs some work, mostly on balancing the flavor of the cake with the intensity of the booze.  I haven’t made this one very often because I don’t serve it to kids.

Pretty cool, Julie, that you have made so much progress.  I am adding pizza to my list….just to make it period.

Signature 

Posted: 05 September 2013 06:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
CRenee - 21 January 2013 12:14 PM

Do you have one?.  I do, although, not referring to it this moment.  Here are some on my list. 

1.  Master Gumpaste and modeling chocolate roses
2.  do other gumpaste flowers
3. Try more cakes and recipes in TCB (Creme Ivoire and some of the show cases). 
4.  Try more chocolate cakes (still looking for better than FW and RHC DCP. 
5.  Hummingbird Cake
6.  Sweet Potato Pound Cake (debating starting with Rose’s Pumpkin cake as guide)
7.  Do some meringue flowers (I think I can use Meringue mushroom instructions and just pipe differently). 
8.  Do a Rum Cake from scratch (most recipes use box, the ones that do not vary much).
9.  test chocolate buttercreams
10.  Find bearable non-egg buttercream
11.  Repeat and take heavy notes on Lemon Layer
12.  Considering comparing Rose’s carrot cake to my own
13.  Royal icing pipiing
14.  cover a cake in fondant (fo the skill…. not because I like it). 
15.  Make cakes that look like the ones pictured
edit 16.  creative ways to write on cake.  perfect writing on gumpaste or modeling choc plaque

clearly progress is slow
1.  acquired more tools, / 6. done/ 8.  tested one recipe twice - good reivew - will do more / 10 - done (cooked frosting) 12 done - jury still out / 14 done and still practicing 16 - using molds ike tappits, etc.

Signature 

Posted: 05 September 2013 08:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  598
Joined  2007-11-27

About your rum cake from scratch… Maida Heatter has a somewhat boozy, delicious version in her book of Great American Desserts; it’s a bundt cake (Key West Rum Cake or something like that) though. But it’s good!  I like a lot of her recipes, have all of her books and they are very well-worn and lots of notes in the pages wink  Just like all my Rose books!

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 05 September 2013 09:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Jeanne - 05 September 2013 08:16 PM

About your rum cake from scratch… Maida Heatter has a somewhat boozy, delicious version in her book of Great American Desserts; it’s a bundt cake (Key West Rum Cake or something like that) though. But it’s good!  I like a lot of her recipes, have all of her books and they are very well-worn and lots of notes in the pages wink  Just like all my Rose books!

Oh Jeanne, thank you so much for that review!!  I have Maida Heatter’s Cake’s and that recipe is in there.  I have yet to bake anything from (tho’ I have had it for months).  She also has a Florida Rum Cake recipe.  Now I am excited to try the Key West Rum and other cakes.  I will give that one a try next!!  This book also has a entire chapter of Chocolate cakes.  And, for a Cake book it is funny she includes ice creams and sauces.

Signature 

2 of 2