9 of 11
bundt cakes, glazes and fillings
Posted: 14 July 2013 04:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 121 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  67
Joined  2013-01-24

Just had to post this picture of latest baking, not exactly bundt but using Nordic Ware pan and Rose’s pineapple upside down recipe.  Absolutely delicious!  I didn’t have a sqeezy thing though for the pineapple caramel topping so it doesn’t look quite so good as the picture in the book.  I absolutely love the pan and the little pineapple leaves at the top came out beautifully!  (Sorry about quality of picture though.)  I used the method you told me about Flourgirl of putting the pan on the scales and weighing and taring after filling each hole of the pan.  Rose actually helpfully specifies exactly how many grams of batter to put in each hole.  It came out exactly right, and the batter did not rise to a hump in the middle as it so often does.  Really the stroke of genius here is using fresh pineapple, what a difference it makes!

Posted: 14 July 2013 04:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 122 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-24

(Also I finally used Rose’s buttercake method, it works really well doesn’t it.)

Posted: 14 July 2013 05:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 123 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4839
Joined  2008-04-16

Those look amazing, you did a great job!  I made them once for my sister-in-law, whose favorite cake is pineapple upside down, and she just about had a conniption because they were so darn good smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 14 August 2013 02:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 124 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1651
Joined  2011-02-17

Eag,  I can’t find the picture you are talking about. It sounds great though.

Sorry I haven’t seen this thread sooner. This is my first day back. I have been gone a while because I broke my arm disco roller skating and have not been able to bake. I baked my first cake yesterday and I realize how much I missed baking.

I know my family would love that upside-down cake you are talking about. Thanks for the info.

Posted: 15 November 2013 03:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 125 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-24

Hello flourgirl and all,

I certainly hope this finds your arm well-healed, Flourgirl.  Disco roller sounds a great way to go, but bad luck to have broken your baking arm.  Here is pineapple upside down picture.  Daughter, son-in-law and baby now safely ensconced in Indiana after some ups and downs all seems well and happy!  And hubby is fine too, touch wood.

My husband’s department now has an official ‘bake for charity’ day, Friday (today), so I must get going!  Of course since folk will actually be PAYING for the privilege of eating my efforts I don’t feel I can happily send off the remains of our experiments.  But there are so many takers now maybe that just means I need to bake twice a week!

Image Attachments
007s.jpg

Posted: 15 November 2013 02:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 126 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-24

Also today is National Bundt Day…

I made Rose’s Pumpkin Cake recipe and it was delicious.  I baked it in the Kaiser Classic bundt pan and did not put any icing on and used pecans instead of walnuts.  Perfect!  Alas no picture.

Posted: 16 November 2013 11:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 127 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
eag - 15 November 2013 03:37 AM

Hello flourgirl and all,

I certainly hope this finds your arm well-healed, Flourgirl.  Disco roller sounds a great way to go, but bad luck to have broken your baking arm.  Here is pineapple upside down picture.  Daughter, son-in-law and baby now safely ensconced in Indiana after some ups and downs all seems well and happy!  And hubby is fine too, touch wood.

My husband’s department now has an official ‘bake for charity’ day, Friday (today), so I must get going!  Of course since folk will actually be PAYING for the privilege of eating my efforts I don’t feel I can happily send off the remains of our experiments.  But there are so many takers now maybe that just means I need to bake twice a week!

Hi eag!

Thank you so much. I am mending slowly. Still wearing an arm brace 5 months later but I see I am making baby steps toward a recovery. I’m glad everyone is good in your family.

Your Pineapple Upside Down cakes look seriously yummy! Thanks for the pic.

I just love the idea of a bake for charity day. Please keep us informed about what you are baking for this worthy cause.

Posted: 16 November 2013 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 128 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
eag - 15 November 2013 02:54 PM

Also today is National Bundt Day…

I made Rose’s Pumpkin Cake recipe and it was delicious.  I baked it in the Kaiser Classic bundt pan and did not put any icing on and used pecans instead of walnuts.  Perfect!  Alas no picture.

I agree. That is one good cake. I love the idea of baking it in the Kaiser Classic Bundt. I have got to get that pan.

Posted: 08 February 2014 07:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 129 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-24

Hello everyone,
‘s
Long time no ‘see’!  How is everyone?  I think I read elsewhere Flour Girl that your arm may still have some problems, I really hope that will sort itself out.

I’ve continued to bake bundts and had a real landmark recently.  I believe there is a contributor who is a professional baker, Hector Wong, who inspired me to try something I’d been longing to do for ages.  That is, bake a cheesecake in a bundt pan.  He posted some beautiful photos on his own blog and said he’d used Rose’s recipe for coconut cheesecake in HC.  I decided to use her recipe for Ginger Cheesecake, except that I actually used more cream cheese and less sour cream as I was anxious about the cake being too delicate to depan.  But all was well!  What inspired me to try it was that Hector actually used a beautiful pan I already have, the Wilton Cascade pan.  I do have a picture but haven’t gotten it from camera to computer yet.

Anyway, that’s not really what I’m writing about.  I have a problem with a specific bundt pan, the Nordic Ware Bavaria pan, and I’d like to know if anyone else has encountered this.  I have used this pan about half a dozen times, but recently it has stuck like billy-o.  The first time was with Rose’s whipped cream cake from HC. I had actually done this perfectly before in the Bavaria, last year sometime, and posted pictures of here, further back in this thread.  Then Rose’s lemon almond cake which is illustrated with a Bavaria bundt!  Then a delicious ‘snickerdoodle’ cake.  Admittedly this called for cinnamon sugar to be sprinkled on top of the pan grease (ie before putting the batter in) so I suppose maybe there was a bit too much of that, though I have lined cake tins with sugar instead of flour in the past and it has worked just fine.  All 3 recipes either baked by me in the Bavaria pan or pictured in book or blog baked in the Bavaria pan. 

I’ve been baking nothing but bundts pretty much for the last 2 years, so I don’t think this was my ignorance.  The first time it went wrong, I’d brushed on my ‘pan goo’, equal quantities of peanut oil, Trex (UK version of Crisco) and plain (AP) flour .  So the second time I steered clear of that and used Wilton’s ‘Bake Easy’ spray which has always worked beautifully for me.  Or perhaps I used both which I do sometimes on some of my old ‘vintage’ aluminium or tin pans.  The third time I just used the Wilton spray, in case something was amiss with my pan goo.

The Wilton stuff does have lecithin in it and I know some people say that reacts badly and builds up stickiness with non-stick pans.  But I don’t personally really believe that happens under cake batter, I think it happens where the spray is exposed to high heat without batter or dough on top of it.  I’ve used it dozens of times with no untoward effects.  Oddly, the Nordic Ware website suggests using only a spray with flour in it, on the grounds it has no lecithin - but that particular type of spray DOES have lecithin in it, I believe they all do.  (I know because my Seattle dil had some and I checked the ingredients!)

Has anyone else had a problem with the Bavaria, after using it 4 or 5 times?

Posted: 08 February 2014 11:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 130 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Hey eag! So good to see you! I have read reviews about the Bravia which describe issues with that pan. The crevices are small, as you know. I love the design but I didn’t buy it based on the negative reviews,

I can’t wait to see the pics you’ve taken.

Posted: 10 February 2014 03:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 131 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-24

Well, since I wrote I tried one more time, with the Olive Oil Pound Cake recipe from Alice Medrich (the recipe I used for the very first cake I posted a picture of).  That is a straightforward recipe, rich but plain, producing quite a liquid batter, no extra ‘bits’ to stick - and all was well!  I used BOTH pan goo, slightly melted so it went on smoothly, took my time over it so nothing was missed, and then the Wilton cake spray on top of that.  The recipe filled the pan nicely, including decorative border.  I made sure it was done before I took it out of the oven, then let it sit in the pan on the cooling rack for about 10-15 min, then tilted the pan and knocked it on the benchtop all round to loosen it up - and it came out almost perfectly!  There were a few ‘divots’ but nothing serious.  Though actually even that didn’t used to happen, but it is very hard to take a completely scientific approach to experimentation in baking, isn’t it?  I mean, there are so many variables, it’s not like experiments in the lab with only one or two variables…

So now I am going to try Rose’s whipped cream cake again, I love that cake and since I KNOW I did bake it successfully in the Bavaria I’m sure I can do it again!  Wish me luck.  I will post pictures of the cheesecake and the successful pound cake.  I did not take pictures of the ‘cake wrecks’!! Let’s hope I don’t have another one.

Posted: 10 February 2014 10:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 132 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

I’m hoping with you eag!

I spoke to reps at Nordic Ware and was told to keep the cake in the pan 15 minutes but no more. I wonder if the extra 5 minutes might help. Just a thought but how are you washing the pan? I always put my nordic ware in the dishwasher despite recommendations. My Heritage pan gives my cakes some divits too. I wonder if the dishwasher has anything to do with it?

Can’t wait to see your cakes. Have fun baking!

Posted: 10 February 2014 03:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 133 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  780
Joined  2007-11-15

Flour Girl,  I have a dishwasher but would never put my Nordicware pans in it, they are far too precious and EXPENSIVE for me to risk spoiling their surfaces in the dishwasher!  I know it gets things really clean but it can spoil some surfaces and definitely takes the colour out of some patterned crockery.  I would rather spend a few minutes carefully washing my Nordicware by hand, they will last longer I’m sure!

Posted: 10 February 2014 04:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 134 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Hi Jeanette , you are absolutely right about that. I should try to wash them by hand . There are a lot if demands on me in my house. By the time I am finished baking there are a whole lot of other things to do. No excuse though. I’m going to try next bundt I bake .

Posted: 10 February 2014 04:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 135 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  780
Joined  2007-11-15

I hope you don’t think I was being critical,  just older and wiser!  I know what it is like to have a lot to do in one day, been there, done that!  Some things I’ve lived to regret, just trying to pass on a bit of my experience as an ‘older’ housewife and baker.

9 of 11