10 of 10
bundt cakes, glazes and fillings
Posted: 11 February 2014 12:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 136 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1534
Joined  2011-02-17
jeannette - 10 February 2014 04:50 PM

I hope you don’t think I was being critical,  just older and wiser!  I know what it is like to have a lot to do in one day, been there, done that!  Some things I’ve lived to regret, just trying to pass on a bit of my experience as an ‘older’ housewife and baker.

I didn’t think you were anything but helpful! Thank you for the advice. I intend to reap the benefits of your experience. I’m going to wash the bundts by hand. I don’t have anything as detailed as the Bravia so it shouldn’t be that hard.

Thanks Jeannette! I really appreciate your advice. Actually, that is why I am here. grin

Posted: 11 April 2014 03:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 137 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2013-01-24

(Sorry again for long time gap here.  Flour Girl, how is your arm?)

Ladies, I can understand putting Nordic Ware in the dishwasher to make sure it is really clean.  But I’ve never done that,  I think I agree with Jeannette on this one.  But, Flour Girl, I totally understand why you’d do that.  In some ways making sure those pans are really clean after use is the fiddliest part of using them.  Once you have successfully depanned the bundt, it just seems a real hassle to have to spend a fair few minutes making sure they are clean, an anti-climax so to speak!  I have learned to minimize scrubbing by soaking immediately in really hot water and washing-up liquid.  But I still often notice crumbs and grease AFTER I’ve washed and have to do it all over again!  Maybe that’s what happened with the Bavaria pan.

I haven’t tried the whipped cream cake in that pan again, must do so.  But mainly I’m writing because I finally got pictures onto computer.  So I wanted to show you the famous cheesecake, so you know I wasn’t just talking through my bundt pan.  So to speak….

Image Attachments
003.JPG

Posted: 11 April 2014 09:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 138 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2007-11-15

eag, nice to see you back!  Your cheesecake is absolutely beautiful, your heart must have been in your mouth when turning it out, at least mine would have been!  I am not familiar with making cheesecakes, I have made the sort you set in the fridge but not a cooked one, I will have to have a go sometime soon.  Was it as good to eat as it looks?

Posted: 11 April 2014 06:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 139 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2013-01-24

Yes, Jeannette, it was - heart in mouth I mean!  I really went to town greasing the pan, pan goo plus wilton spray plus flour!  I followed Hector Wong’s instructions for turnout - after chilling overnight in its pan, I dipped it in a sink full of hot water as you would with a jello mold.  I also ran a small plastic knife around the top edges, and turned the pan edgewise and tapped it all round on the counter before turning it out.  I also put a sheet of baking paper on the (non-stick!) cooling rack before I turned it out.  So not a speedy procedure!  You can see the turnout wasn’t completely flawless but still a very impressive presentation, I do think.  I believe Hector coated his cake with toasted grated coconut; something like that would disguise any minor cracks etc.  The people in the cake club loved it.

It was absolutely delicious, I think the best-tasting cheesecake I’ve ever baked.  I followed the HC recipe for ginger cheesecake, but used fresh lime juice and grated rind as flavouring instead.  I was nervous about the cake turning out, but didn’t want to put any flour in the mix as I always feel that detracts from the rich creaminess.  That was why I chose that particular recipe.  I used exactly the same total amount of dairy product as the recipe said, but I used much more cream cheese and much less sour cream, to ensure a slightly firmer cake and reduce chances of bundt collapse.

Now I really want to try the ginger one, as I love ginger, but I don’t want to push my luck.  I don’t think I’ll try this with the Bavaria pan somehow!

Making cheesecakes is very easy, actually, if you don’t get silly like me and try and do it in a bundt pan. Using a springform tin, lining the bottom of the tin really well and chilling the cake after baking and before turning it out, are essential with all baked cheesecakes (except those made in bundt pans! : - ))

10 of 10