11 of 13
bundt cakes, glazes and fillings
Posted: 16 July 2014 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 151 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  367
Joined  2011-12-25

Here’s the pic of the blueberry cake. I’m telling you that everyone liked it, loved it, made noises and commented on how good the blueberries smelled and tasted. It’s a big-time winner and I’m glad I found the time to make it. I needed it and so did everyone here at work.

I did as you suggested and put some batter, sans the berries, in first, then mixed the berries in the batter. You can see the pic shows that most of the berries are on the lower part, or upper, ha!!,, which is probably a good thing so they wouldn’t stick to the pan.

Thanks eag. What a nice treat.

Image Attachments
bbcake.jpgblueberryc.jpg

Posted: 17 July 2014 08:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 152 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  86
Joined  2013-01-24

So glad it worked for you, taste-wise!  And thanks so much for the photos.  They really add to the exchange of information, don’t they?  I find myself increasingly getting recipes from image searches on the web, because at least I know it did work that way.

About berries in ‘bottom’ (top) -  at least it does show they don’t sink!  So maybe you could just use less berryless batter to line the curvy bit, or maybe even not bother.  When I made the minibundt I didn’t bother, and it came out fine and didn’t stick.

I’m about to try a recipe with morello cherries and chunks of marzipan.  Marzipan is VERY sticky so this will be a test.  I don’t think I will try to do this with one of the really elaborate pans!

Posted: 17 July 2014 10:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 153 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Hmmm. Marzipan—sounds interesting. Kind of like almond paste but not, right? Used as fondant or candy? So you will just add it in to sweeten up a cake?

Tell me more!! smile Please!

And thanks for the help with the blueberry cake. That was a mazing, really!

Posted: 06 January 2015 03:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 154 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-24

Hello all,

Don’t know if I am allowed to revivify this thread after so long…here goes anyway.

How is everyone?  I have managed to break my ankle, the talus bone which is apparently very unusual….Non weight bearing for 8 weeks, over halfway gone now.  The one thing I’ve managed to do is keep baking bundt cakes, can you believe??  A major effort to do this using a walker, have to rest afterwards!

In my enforced laziness I’ve read some past threads on this forum.  One is about the use of fruit purees in cake recipes.  This fascinates me.  I’ve tried a few recipes with varying success.  Cakes do tend to come out ‘clooty’ or cludgy.  Without huge benefits in flavour.  I’ve come to thinking best to try and put purees in fillings, as we’ve discussed before.  But if one wanted the flavour throughout, one suggestion struck me, the addition of gelatin to the puree, I can imagine that might stabilize the structure of the cake.

Bundt adventures - I’ve made an ‘avocaat cake’ in the lovely fir tree Nordic Ware pan.  This is a cake using a technique similar to genoise, beating room-temp eggs and powdered sugar together until greatly expanded and firmed, about 10 min in stand mixer, then folding in cooled melted butter and avocaat (a type of liqueur like eggnog), then finally, cake flour and leavening.  Beautiful texture and flavour.  No picture unfortunately.  All activities I never gave a second thought to, require major effort.  Carrying things, like cameras - I never realized how many daily activities involve being able to carry things.  I put a lightweight cloth shopping bag round my neck, but then I have to remember to put the bag within reaching distance.  etc etc.

I’ve also read various threads about cake flour etc.  Over here in the UK I’ve taken to buying ‘heat-treated’ cake flour from Mathews.  The disadvantage of this for me is that I have to buy a 16k bag all at once.  But so far, our house being quite dry, no problems with vermin etc.  It seems to work exactly as the bleached flours Rose recommends in her recipes.  I do feel more comfy using it than I would using a bleached product.  Did I hear that bleached was on its way out in the US? It is illegal here.  I guess the disadvantage of the heat-treated for manufacturers is the possibility of overdoing it and ending up with toasted flour, not the same thing at all!  Plus in the UK it’s probably quite expensive to produce, since fuel is expensive.

Posted: 07 January 2015 01:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 155 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1677
Joined  2011-02-17

I’m sorry to hear about your injuries. I hope you aren’t in any pain and on the road to recovery.

The avocation cake sounds fascinating. I’ll have to look into that as it is the first time I ever heard of it.

It’s so nice to chat with you again.

Feel better soon.

Posted: 07 January 2015 09:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 156 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-24

No pain at all, weirdly, so long as I completely stay off that ankle.  Just fatigue because I can only use my right leg/right side and arms, should be good for upper body strength I guess!

I see I said something about cherry and marzipan.  Maybe that will be my next project.  I managed to cook lunch all by myself today!  Except dear hubby poured the hole into the toad in the hole (will explain if need be…!)

The advocaat bundt cake recipe is here. http://joblogsjobakes.wordpress.com/2011/12/21/511/

I made two changes which seemed to work brilliantly and meant having to prep one less ingredient.  Because I have proper cake flour, I used 250g of that instead of the recipe’s mix of plain flour (AP) and cornflour/cornstarch.  And instead of caster sugar I used powdered sugar, to get the lightness the cornflour might have given.  I think I also used a bit more sugar, say 220g, because I think powdered sugar has a bit of cornflour mixed in.  But not a big difference.  (I had loads of powdered sugar and not much cornflour…!) Also I cooled the melted butter in the fridge for a few minutes so it was kind of lukewarm.  I feel using hot butter can make the cake a bit gooey.  Finally, get the eggs up to room temp before starting to beat eggs and sugar together.  I do this by simply filling a smallish bowl with very hot water from the tap and putting all the eggs in it, in their shells, straight from the fridge, and letting them sit for 5 or 10 minutes.  That seems to do the trick nicely.

One obvious change those of you on the other side of the pond could make:  Advocaat is basically alcoholic eggnog.  So I’m sure you could just use bought eggnog in a carton and just sub a few Tablesponnsful of the measured amount, with a mix of rum and brandy, or whatever other alcohol you’d normally put in eggnog if you were making it alcoholic.  I think I might do that even with the Advocaat, which is only about 17% alcohol (Similar strength to sherry).  Or simply use the eggnog, it would work fine I’m sure, if you didn’t want any booze at all, though it would taste a bit different.  But you’d still get the wonderful texture and ‘feel’, which I think has as much to do with the method as the ingredients.

Posted: 11 January 2015 12:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 157 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
eag - 07 January 2015 09:30 AM

No pain at all, weirdly, so long as I completely stay off that ankle.  Just fatigue because I can only use my right leg/right side and arms, should be good for upper body strength I guess!

I see I said something about cherry and marzipan.  Maybe that will be my next project.  I managed to cook lunch all by myself today!  Except dear hubby poured the hole into the toad in the hole (will explain if need be…!)

The advocaat bundt cake recipe is here. http://joblogsjobakes.wordpress.com/2011/12/21/511/

I made two changes which seemed to work brilliantly and meant having to prep one less ingredient.  Because I have proper cake flour, I used 250g of that instead of the recipe’s mix of plain flour (AP) and cornflour/cornstarch.  And instead of caster sugar I used powdered sugar, to get the lightness the cornflour might have given.  I think I also used a bit more sugar, say 220g, because I think powdered sugar has a bit of cornflour mixed in.  But not a big difference.  (I had loads of powdered sugar and not much cornflour…!) Also I cooled the melted butter in the fridge for a few minutes so it was kind of lukewarm.  I feel using hot butter can make the cake a bit gooey.  Finally, get the eggs up to room temp before starting to beat eggs and sugar together.  I do this by simply filling a smallish bowl with very hot water from the tap and putting all the eggs in it, in their shells, straight from the fridge, and letting them sit for 5 or 10 minutes.  That seems to do the trick nicely.

One obvious change those of you on the other side of the pond could make:  Advocaat is basically alcoholic eggnog.  So I’m sure you could just use bought eggnog in a carton and just sub a few Tablesponnsful of the measured amount, with a mix of rum and brandy, or whatever other alcohol you’d normally put in eggnog if you were making it alcoholic.  I think I might do that even with the Advocaat, which is only about 17% alcohol (Similar strength to sherry).  Or simply use the eggnog, it would work fine I’m sure, if you didn’t want any booze at all, though it would taste a bit different.  But you’d still get the wonderful texture and ‘feel’, which I think has as much to do with the method as the ingredients.

I guess your ankle is telling you to give it more time to heal. I hope you have a speedy recovery eat!

That looks like a lovely recipe. I wish I had seen it proper to Christmas.  Please let me know if the addition of alcohol can be tolerated by the recipe.

Posted: 11 January 2015 12:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 158 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 16 July 2014 11:17 AM

Here’s the pic of the blueberry cake. I’m telling you that everyone liked it, loved it, made noises and commented on how good the blueberries smelled and tasted. It’s a big-time winner and I’m glad I found the time to make it. I needed it and so did everyone here at work.

I did as you suggested and put some batter, sans the berries, in first, then mixed the berries in the batter. You can see the pic shows that most of the berries are on the lower part, or upper, ha!!,, which is probably a good thing so they wouldn’t stick to the pan.

Thanks eag. What a nice treat.

Abbey I am so sorry I missed your pics. That is what happens when you just answer the last post.

Which recipe did you use? Your bundt looks yummy. We love blueberries in our house.

Thanks!

Posted: 11 January 2015 06:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 159 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Oh My, FlourGirl, that is not a problem. I’m sorry I didn’t get back to you sooner to let you know that you never need to worry about that stuff. I understand completely.

You made me remember that I had some blueberries in the fridge that should be used ASAP and noticed Rose has a recipe in the TBB, similar to the one in her RHC book, that I made and loved, called Blueberry Crumb Party Coffee Cake. Or I could make a BB tart from TBB. Or the French Orange Cream Tart from TBB. Or ? grin I go through this every weekend!

It is always fun to wander through these books and learn something new every time. We’ll see what I produce tonight!!!!

Did you bake this weekend?

Talk to you later, sweet flourgirl. wink

Posted: 12 January 2015 08:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 160 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Thank you Abbey! Whenever I read your posts, I am inspired to bake everything you suggest. I was looking at that new version of the blueberry cake in the BB. I have a lot of frozen blueberries from the summer. I so want to make that recipe. I like that it bakes in a 9x13 pan. Some for everybody.

Yes I did bake this weekend. I baked Rose’s Zucchini Bread which is the variation from the Carrot Bread recipe in The Bread Bible. And I baked Alice Medrich’s Olive Oil Pound Cake (the recipe makes 2 loaves) from her Sinfully Delicious. All loaves went to my father in law. He is a widower and loves my loaves. His very favorite is Rose’s Many Splendid Cake from RHC. I was all ready to bake it and realized yes, I have no bananas. That is how I came to bake the Zucchini bread. I will have to make sure I have bananas on hand and bake him that loaf asap.

I also baked the French Apple Cake from Dorie Greenspan. I found the recipe online. I have none of her books other than Baking With Julia which I don’t consider to be her book since it is recipes of accomplished bakers. I made it only because my husband likes apples; but I am, sorry to say, not a fan of her at all.

I am baking something for me today. It is the Vegan toffee recipe I shared with you.

Have a gr8 day! I can’t wait to hear about your next baking adventure.

Posted: 13 January 2015 10:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 161 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25
Flour Girl - 12 January 2015 08:56 AM

Thank you Abbey! Whenever I read your posts, I am inspired to bake everything you suggest. I was looking at that new version of the blueberry cake in the BB. I have a lot of frozen blueberries from the summer. I so want to make that recipe. I like that it bakes in a 9x13 pan. Some for everybody.

Yes I did bake this weekend. I baked Rose’s Zucchini Bread which is the variation from the Carrot Bread recipe in The Bread Bible. And I baked Alice Medrich’s Olive Oil Pound Cake (the recipe makes 2 loaves) from her Sinfully Delicious. All loaves went to my father in law. He is a widower and loves my loaves. His very favorite is Rose’s Many Splendid Cake from RHC. I was all ready to bake it and realized yes, I have no bananas. That is how I came to bake the Zucchini bread. I will have to make sure I have bananas on hand and bake him that loaf asap.

I also baked the French Apple Cake from Dorie Greenspan. I found the recipe online. I have none of her books other than Baking With Julia which I don’t consider to be her book since it is recipes of accomplished bakers. I made it only because my husband likes apples; but I am, sorry to say, not a fan of her at all.

I am baking something for me today. It is the Vegan toffee recipe I shared with you.

Impressive, Flourgirl!!! You were busy. I love to see pics, but I can imagine. Yum!!  That is one CB I don’t have, the Bread Bible. Hmmm smile

The Olive Oil cake sounds interesting; I’ll check that one. Why are you not a fan of Greenspan? I don’t know anything about her but wonder. 

I thank you for sharing your recipes with me. I conked out Sunday night and last night so my plate is bare, but I feel good and will plan ahead for this weekend. The weather is actually supposed to be much warmer and that is something to look forward to after the cold snap we have endured lately. Burrr!! 

I hope you enjoyed your Vegan toffee dessert and I will try to remember to search for the cake I used to make the blueberry bundt cake. I do remember Hector saying it was the perfect texture for adding berries because it let them stay in place. I will look and get back to you asap. Have a grand day !!

Posted: 13 January 2015 08:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 162 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Hi Flourgirl,

I finally figured out which recipe I used. Eag posted it in this thread, on page 10.

I tried to find the one that Hector talked about. I will keep looking.

Abbey smile

Posted: 14 January 2015 05:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 163 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-24

(butting in smile)
That blueberry cake recipe really is a winner I’ve made it several times since, with the full amount of blueberries, and no droppage problems at all!  I don’t even think it’s necessary to put a thin layer of plain batter on the bottom, at least not if you’re using a good, fairly plain bundt pan.  You can use different ‘auxiliary’ flavours with it too.  Lime, lemon, orange, blueberry liqueur, vanilla…probably others too!  Only possible objection might come from people who like their cakes sweetie-sweetie.  Of course you could add more sugar but that would make batter more liquid, so might get droppage.  I adore it just the way it is, after all you can glaze it if you want more sweetness.

Posted: 14 January 2015 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 164 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 13 January 2015 10:43 AM
Flour Girl - 12 January 2015 08:56 AM

Impressive, Flourgirl!!! You were busy. I love to see pics, but I can imagine. Yum!!  That is one CB I don’t have, the Bread Bible. Hmmm smile

The Olive Oil cake sounds interesting; I’ll check that one. Why are you not a fan of Greenspan? I don’t know anything about her but wonder. 

I thank you for sharing your recipes with me. I conked out Sunday night and last night so my plate is bare, but I feel good and will plan ahead for this weekend. The weather is actually supposed to be much warmer and that is something to look forward to after the cold snap we have endured lately. Burrr!! 

I hope you enjoyed your Vegan toffee dessert and I will try to remember to search for the cake I used to make the blueberry bundt cake. I do remember Hector saying it was the perfect texture for adding berries because it let them stay in place. I will look and get back to you asap. Have a grand day !!

Hi Abbey,

The Baking Bible is one of my most-used books. I don’t bake bread, yet, but the loaf recipes are great. I baked the Carrot Bread yesterday. After peeling, I found I was short 50g of carrots. I’m awaiting opinions from my family today. The apple (blueberry) cinnamon cake in RHC is a loaf version in TBB. I think I make that recipe more than any other. I sub pear often and everyone always loves it.

The Olive Oil Pound Cake a good cake and very easy to bake. The recipe has never failed me. It is a good, simple cake.

My Toffee Bars came out delisssssh. I got distracted while letting the flax+water thicken. The result seemed to turn out a lot less crumbly (a good thing). Also, I modified the amount of oil to 74g. That seems to be the ideal amount and influences the bars consistency in a positive way.

How do you like the new BB so far?

Posted: 14 January 2015 12:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 165 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
eag - 14 January 2015 05:52 AM

(butting in smile)
That blueberry cake recipe really is a winner I’ve made it several times since, with the full amount of blueberries, and no droppage problems at all!  I don’t even think it’s necessary to put a thin layer of plain batter on the bottom, at least not if you’re using a good, fairly plain bundt pan.  You can use different ‘auxiliary’ flavours with it too.  Lime, lemon, orange, blueberry liqueur, vanilla…probably others too!  Only possible objection might come from people who like their cakes sweetie-sweetie.  Of course you could add more sugar but that would make batter more liquid, so might get droppage.  I adore it just the way it is, after all you can glaze it if you want more sweetness.

Hi eag!  Is it the cake with the streusel on top in the original recipe?

11 of 13