5 of 11
bundt cakes, glazes and fillings
Posted: 09 April 2013 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1651
Joined  2011-02-17
eag - 09 April 2013 06:53 AM

Those sound interesting.  Could you tell me more about them?  I presume they aren’t for bundt cakes?

Rose has a line of silicone bands that, when placed around pans, inhibit the formation of a mound and create more-level layers. I have 2 of them

http://www.amazon.com/Rose-Levy-Beranbaum-Bakeware-Heavenly/dp/B000YHJJPQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365519088&sr=8-1&keywords=rose’s+cake+strips

I also have these strips:

http://www.amazon.com/Magi-Cake-Set-Cake-Strips-Medium/dp/B002U0LE4O/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1365519149&sr=1-1&keywords=magic+cake+strips

These come 2 to the box. They need to be soaked before applied to the pan. The 2 bands can be combined, by clips, to form one band and go around large pans.

Rose’s are made of silicone and are applied like a rubber band to the pan. Actually, it would be worth trying on bundt pans. I can do that the next bundt I make and let you know. I believe Rose’s bands are for 8-9 inch pans

Posted: 09 April 2013 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  780
Joined  2007-11-15

I hope you don’t mind me chiming in on this discussion, but I have been interested in reading about your bundt cakes and variety of tins as I like them too!  I have a set of Rose’s silicone bands which work very well, but I don’t think you can buy them in the UK, a friend ordered mine for me and we shared the postage/shipping which was quite expensive actually.  You can buy something similar in Lakeland though, and I have one of these too, it is a silver fabric of some sort which does a similar job to Rose’s , but is not quite as easy to use, but it works out less expensive.  I haven’t tried mine out on Bundt tins, I’m not sure it would be suitable because of the shape.  Worth a go though.

Posted: 09 April 2013 12:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
jeannette - 09 April 2013 03:23 PM

Worth a go though.

Thanks Jeanette. I agree. I sometimes get a mound on the end of the bundt. I hope the strips help. Definifely worth trying.

Posted: 09 April 2013 02:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  67
Joined  2013-01-24

Many thanks for information, both of you.  I’ve looked at the Lakeland ones now, Jeannette, but I might just see about ordering Rose’s from the US.  Somehow it seems like the sort of thing one should be able to make oneself by cutting down a cheap silicone pan, they do turn up in charity shops sometimes…!

Yes, I wonder if they would work on bundt tins?  I also get ‘domes’, though usually not excessive.  Baking at a lower temperature than specified seems to help a lot.

Btw, you know I posted a picture of a bundt that had split slightly, the one in the ‘Blossom’ tin?  I think it does have to do with fillings, because I just made a bundt (different tin - one of the Kaisercast ones) with a jam filling - ‘Ruby cake’ - where the same thing happened though not so much, as the cake batter was much firmer.  I think what happens is that fillings are more liquid than the baked bundt so the cake collapses in on itself a bit.  Leaving it in the tin a bit longer until the filling cools and thickens,  is the solution I’m sure!

Posted: 09 April 2013 10:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

I didn’t notice a split in the Blossom pan cake. I did notice how beautiful and inviting it looked. 

I have never filled a bundt, other than the Chocolate Streusel Coffee Cake in RHC on page 55. It uses a 6-cup tin

Posted: 10 April 2013 04:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-24

I just did another ‘blossom’ one with filling - an ‘inside-out’ carrot cake.  This time I did leave it in the tin for longer and it turned out perfectly.  The ‘cheesecake’ type filling is delicious.  Though I find carrot cake a bit too sweet these days.  Next time I think I’ll cut down on the sugar.  My audience raved about it however!

You have now decided me, that chocolate streusel cake will be the next one I try from RHC!  I’ve been eyeing it up and I will use one of my ‘new/old’ 6 cup tins.  I’ll post a picture of that and the latest ‘blossom’ once I’ve done it.

Posted: 10 April 2013 11:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
eag - 10 April 2013 07:29 AM

I just did another ‘blossom’ one with filling - an ‘inside-out’ carrot cake.  This time I did leave it in the tin for longer and it turned out perfectly.  The ‘cheesecake’ type filling is delicious.  Though I find carrot cake a bit too sweet these days.  Next time I think I’ll cut down on the sugar.  My audience raved about it however!

You have now decided me, that chocolate streusel cake will be the next one I try from RHC!  I’ve been eyeing it up and I will use one of my ‘new/old’ 6 cup tins.  I’ll post a picture of that and the latest ‘blossom’ once I’ve done it.

Great!

I’m looking forward to pictures grin

Posted: 18 April 2013 04:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-24

Well, here are the pictures!  I’ve been busy…

The first one is the orange cake I mentioned in one of the ‘new/old’ tins.  A good turn-out, I must have remembered to knock the tin on the counter!

The next one is the ‘blossom’ cake, inside-out carrot cake.  The cake recipe is almost exactly the same as Rose’s in RHC except with wholemeal flour and light brown sugar.  Plus I didn’t add any nuts, raisins, etc.

I’ll send the others in separate messages.

Image Attachments
005a.jpg007a.jpg

Posted: 18 April 2013 04:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-24

and more -

The first one is the inside of the ‘inside out carrot cake’ plus a leftover piece of the ‘Ruby’ cake - two filled ones!

And a third filled one, the RHC ‘chocolate streusel’ cake which came out very well, in the regular 6 cup Nordic Ware bundt tin.

Image Attachments
009a.jpg010a.jpg

Posted: 18 April 2013 04:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-24

Finally, a couple in some recently-acquired tins.

The first is really quite small and forgive the bad photo, I was trying to hide where there were a couple of big holes in the cake when I depanned it - my fault, because I hadn’t blended the flour in properly so there were a couple of bits of butter-sugar-egg mix not fully incorporated.  This was another one of my ‘Etsy’ tins (2d hand), a nice small one.  The same lovely orange cake recipe as the first picture in the first message.

The second is actually a new tin, so-called ‘turks head’ which I bought new on amazon.com.  It wasn’t very expensive and the postage wasn’t enormous as it’s pretty light.  It isn’t the quality of Nordic Ware et al, not non-stick either, a ‘formed’ rather than ‘cast’ aluminium tin, but with enough pan goo and spray it worked beautifully.  I used that great ‘one bowl’ chocolate cake recipe that has been floating around the internet since time immemorial, only with more cocoa powder and less oil.  The students loved it!  I think it is an attractive pattern.  it holds a regular ‘big’ bundt pan recipe perfectly.

One thing I can see quite clearly, looking at these photos together, is that I need to remember to bang my tins on the counter several times before I put the cakes in the oven.  There are really big bubble-holes when I depan.  I did so for the very first cake pictured, the orange cake, and I can see the difference!

(I just noticed the first tin, the orange cake, and the last, the chocolate, are basically the same design, only the smaller tin leaves out the bottom tier of the design!)

It is great fun seeing how the different tins turn out.  HOWEVER, enough is enough - I need to call a moratorium on buying them I think.  I have well over 20 now…. red face

Image Attachments
014a.jpg015a.jpg

Posted: 18 April 2013 05:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 71 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

I love your cakes, eag, you have been busy!  I’m sure you won’t be that impressed with the one I made this week, it is the Lemon Poppyseed Sour Cream cake from Rose’s Heavenly Cakes.  It turned out very well, as all Rose’s cakes do, I love the recipes in that book.  I am saying you won’t be impressed because it is the tin that makes it look so good, but it actually tastes as good as it looks and it came out of the tin perfectly.  I have just purchased the Holiday Tree tin, I am looking forward to using it around Christmas time, but I bought it now because I saw it on special offer on a website and couldn’t resist it.

Image Attachments
phpXif84zPM.jpg

Posted: 19 April 2013 05:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 72 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-24

I AM impressed though Jeannette!  Snap - I was literally just looking at the picture of that very cake in RHC and thinking that will be the next one!  As you say, those recipes are so reliable and tasty.  That is such a great tin, isn’t it?  I hadn’t yet decided which tin to use, but it might just be that one!  Your turnout is definitely more bubble-free than mine though - do you have a secret?  Or do you just remember to knock the tin on the counter?

I think you and I must have been looking at the same website - I too just got the ‘tree’ one because it was on sale for around ?18.00?  Plus the ‘dinosaur’ cakelet one was even a bit lower I think, plus postage free for over ?30, so I bit the bullet.  (Both of these are on sale in our local posh cookshop - for ?34 apiece!!)  The ‘dinosaur’ one is for my younger daughter’s birthday - she’ll be 29!!  She has discovered the delights of knitting and made beautiful KNITTED dinosaurs for her niece and nephews for Christmas.!  And she quite likes making cakes, so I think this one would tickle her fancy.  For ?34 I wasn’t willing to get something ‘jokey’ but for ?16, well, I just couldn’t resist!  Though that’s still a lot.

Posted: 19 April 2013 08:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 73 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4839
Joined  2008-04-16

Jeannette and eag, all those cakes look great, I enjoyed seeing all the pan shapes! smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 19 April 2013 10:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 74 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

eag,  so nice of you to reply.  I am fascinated with Bundt tins at the moment, perhaps because I am not very good at decorating cakes, and these don’t need much in the way of extra decoration, they are pretty enough without.  Yes, it must be the same place we got our tins from, because as you say, it was postage free if spending over ?30, so I actually got two of the tree tins, one for myself and one for my daughter who lives in Devon.  She likes baking too!  Less than half the price I’ve seen them elsewhere, so a true bargain.  I am looking forward to using it.
I have no ‘secret’ to turning out the cakes, I just use Wilton Cake Release from Lakeland and a pastry brush.  I make sure of course that I get into all the nooks and crannies of the tin and I sprinkle in some flour as well for good measure.  They have always turned out well for me, but the last two times I used the Heritage tin I did get a line of what looked like uncooked mixture going through the centre of the cake.  It was the Sour Cream cake from RHC.  This time I made doubly sure it was cooked by testing with a skewer and checking that the sides were starting to come away from the tin and it was perfect.  It really is a nice cake and stays nice and moist, I recommend it.

Thank you Julie for your compliments, nice to see that you are still around, so many old members seem to have left ! grin

Posted: 19 April 2013 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 75 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
eag - 18 April 2013 07:35 PM

Well, here are the pictures!  I’ve been busy…

The first one is the orange cake I mentioned in one of the ‘new/old’ tins.  A good turn-out, I must have remembered to knock the tin on the counter!

The next one is the ‘blossom’ cake, inside-out carrot cake.  The cake recipe is almost exactly the same as Rose’s in RHC except with wholemeal flour and light brown sugar.  Plus I didn’t add any nuts, raisins, etc.

I’ll send the others in separate messages.

They are both beautiful eag! I am very fond of the Blossom pan. I don’t think it is scary grin  How do your guests respond to the presentation of cakes in that pan?

5 of 11