6 of 11
bundt cakes, glazes and fillings
Posted: 19 April 2013 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 76 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17
eag - 18 April 2013 07:38 PM

and more -

The first one is the inside of the ‘inside out carrot cake’ plus a leftover piece of the ‘Ruby’ cake - two filled ones!

And a third filled one, the RHC ‘chocolate streusel’ cake which came out very well, in the regular 6 cup Nordic Ware bundt tin.

Your cakes look delicious! I have to make that Chocolate Streusel cake again. Did you like the taste?  I was very pleased with the results when I last made it and I enjoyed using the 6-cup bundt pan. I don’t get to use it too often.

Posted: 19 April 2013 12:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 77 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
eag - 18 April 2013 07:47 PM

Finally, a couple in some recently-acquired tins.

The first is really quite small and forgive the bad photo, I was trying to hide where there were a couple of big holes in the cake when I depanned it - my fault, because I hadn’t blended the flour in properly so there were a couple of bits of butter-sugar-egg mix not fully incorporated.  This was another one of my ‘Etsy’ tins (2d hand), a nice small one.  The same lovely orange cake recipe as the first picture in the first message.

The second is actually a new tin, so-called ‘turks head’ which I bought new on amazon.com.  It wasn’t very expensive and the postage wasn’t enormous as it’s pretty light.  It isn’t the quality of Nordic Ware et al, not non-stick either, a ‘formed’ rather than ‘cast’ aluminium tin, but with enough pan goo and spray it worked beautifully.  I used that great ‘one bowl’ chocolate cake recipe that has been floating around the internet since time immemorial, only with more cocoa powder and less oil.  The students loved it!  I think it is an attractive pattern.  it holds a regular ‘big’ bundt pan recipe perfectly.

One thing I can see quite clearly, looking at these photos together, is that I need to remember to bang my tins on the counter several times before I put the cakes in the oven.  There are really big bubble-holes when I depan.  I did so for the very first cake pictured, the orange cake, and I can see the difference!

(I just noticed the first tin, the orange cake, and the last, the chocolate, are basically the same design, only the smaller tin leaves out the bottom tier of the design!)

It is great fun seeing how the different tins turn out.  HOWEVER, enough is enough - I need to call a moratorium on buying them I think.  I have well over 20 now…. red face

Yum! You are making me hungry!

I like the Turks Head pan. Being lighter, is the baking time effected?

Which glaze did you use on the first cake?

Posted: 19 April 2013 12:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 78 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

The other day I baked these cakes. The recipe is Maida Heatter’s Blueberry Applesauce Loaf Cake. The entire pan is lined with chopped pecans and there are chopped pecans in the batter as well.

I don’t have 4-cup loaf pans so I used this 7 x 2.5 pan

http://www.amazon.com/Parrish-Magic-Line-Removable-Bottom/dp/B001RIY59Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366386372&sr=8-1&keywords=parrish+magic+line+tube+pan

Image Attachments
phpRbZqjtAM.jpg

Posted: 19 April 2013 02:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 79 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  67
Joined  2013-01-24

th

Posted: 19 April 2013 02:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 80 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-24
Flour Girl - 19 April 2013 03:39 PM

They are both beautiful eag! I am very fond of the Blossom pan. I don’t think it is scary grin  How do your guests respond to the presentation of cakes in that pan?

They adore it!  I must admit seeing all these cakes I’ve made together, it really is a spectacular tin - I’m convinced!  smile

Posted: 19 April 2013 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 81 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-24
Flour Girl - 19 April 2013 03:53 PM

The other day I baked these cakes. The recipe is Maida Heatter’s Blueberry Applesauce Loaf Cake. The entire pan is lined with chopped pecans and there are chopped pecans in the batter as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Parrish-Magic-Line-Removable-Bottom/dp/B001RIY59Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366386372&sr=8-1&keywords=parrish+magic+line+tube+pan

What a coincidence!  I have an almost identical pan, for making half-size chocolate angelfood cakes (the only kind of angelfood cake I like).  That recipe sounds wonderful, I have bookmarked it.  I love pecans and my sisters-in-law often send them for Christmas.

Posted: 19 April 2013 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 82 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-24
Flour Girl - 19 April 2013 03:42 PM

I have to make that Chocolate Streusel cake again. Did you like the taste?  I was very pleased with the results when I last made it and I enjoyed using the 6-cup bundt pan. I don’t get to use it too often.

Yes, it was very good, a very nice texture.

Posted: 19 April 2013 02:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 83 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-24
Flour Girl - 19 April 2013 03:45 PM

I don’t think the bake time was appreciably different from the thick pans.  I suspect the thick pans give a nicer even golden-brown finish but this was a chocolate cake so couldn’t tell.  It was absolutely fine.  I’m sure you’d like it if you bought it, I think it’s very attractive.

The glaze for the first cake was caster sugar melted in orange juice and orange liqueur - as in the photo!  Just heated until the sugar melts, then poured and brushed on.

Posted: 19 April 2013 04:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 84 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
eag - 19 April 2013 05:20 PM
Flour Girl - 19 April 2013 03:53 PM

What a coincidence!  I have an almost identical pan, for making half-size chocolate angelfood cakes (the only kind of angelfood cake I like).  That recipe sounds wonderful, I have bookmarked it.  I love pecans and my sisters-in-law often send them for Christmas.

I love that pan. It is adorable.  I used it in place of an 8x4 loaf pan and it worked very well.

Posted: 19 April 2013 04:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 85 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
eag - 19 April 2013 05:22 PM
Flour Girl - 19 April 2013 03:42 PM

I have to make that Chocolate Streusel cake again. Did you like the taste?  I was very pleased with the results when I last made it and I enjoyed using the 6-cup bundt pan. I don’t get to use it too often.

Yes, it was very good, a very nice texture.

Good grin

Posted: 19 April 2013 05:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 86 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
eag - 19 April 2013 05:26 PM
Flour Girl - 19 April 2013 03:45 PM

I don’t think the bake time was appreciably different from the thick pans.  I suspect the thick pans give a nicer even golden-brown finish but this was a chocolate cake so couldn’t tell.  It was absolutely fine.  I’m sure you’d like it if you bought it, I think it’s very attractive.

The glaze for the first cake was caster sugar melted in orange juice and orange liqueur - as in the photo!  Just heated until the sugar melts, then poured and brushed on.

It sounds really good. I never melted caster sugar for a glaze before. I’ll have to try it, for sure.

Posted: 26 April 2013 11:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 87 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-24

Well Flour Girl,

I have used my bigger angel-food tin to make a chocolate angelfood cake.  My cake club’s theme was ‘pink’ so I made the angelfood cake, split it in two layers, drizzled with chocolate liqueur and kirsch, and filled and topped with cr?me fraiche mixed with icing sugar and the juice from drained frozen blackberries, and the blackberries themselves.  People said it was delicious though it certainly isn’t fancy. I’ve attached a photo.
But I haven’t used the little one yet but will do so now using your recipe! 
In the meantime I had a cake wreck.  With the yolks left from the angelfood cake I made up a Joy of Cooking recipe for an 8-yolk cake involving brown sugar, and milk swapped for sherry, and pecans.  It tasted delicious but crumbled when it came out of the bundt pan.  I used this one http://www.wilton.com/shapedpan/Dimensions-Belle-Pan
which I’ve used before with perfect results.  Didn’t stick, but once out it crumbled at the bottom, one of the ‘rungs’ just dropped off.  Very weird.  Unfortunately I didn’t take a picture.  My guess is that once again it’s all about tensile strength, no egg whites to pull things together!  I think I should have just made layer cakes as per the recipe, or maybe loaves.  Also Rose has a yolk yellow cake recipe, I probably just should have tinkered with that but I had 8 yolks, so an 8 yolk recipe seemed perfect!

Jeanette, I found another source for heat-treated flour in the UK, in 2 k quantities instead of the excessive amount I bought.  This is it:
http://www.cinnamonsquare.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=192
I haven’t tried this so may not work, but have a go!  I’m still working through my huge bag.  I tend to use it for all cakes, but I’m beginning to realise that when a recipe says ‘a-p’ I really should use plain flour.  Maybe half cake and half plain would be a good compromise.

Image Attachments
043a.jpg

Posted: 26 April 2013 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 88 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  769
Joined  2007-11-15

Thank you for the info. about the heat treated flour, eag.  I must admit I get good results using a mixture of our plain flour with a percentage of potato flour/starch added to it, and the cost is a lot less than the flour on the website.  I have also used Kate’s method of heat-treating the flour in the microwave, but to be honest, although that method works it is a bit of a faff, taking quite a bit of time to do, almost putting me off baking when I’m in the mood! 
Your cake you have just posted looks very tasty, I’m sure it must have been appreciated by the tasters.  Lucky them! tongue wink

Posted: 26 April 2013 02:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 89 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  769
Joined  2007-11-15

This is Rose’s Chocolate Velvet Fudge cake which I made last weekend.  I resized the recipe to fit this very small bundt tin, which only holds 3 cups!  I bought it from Lakeland a couple of years ago not realizing that there weren’t many recipes suitable for such a small tin!

Image Attachments
phphx44GgAM.jpg

Posted: 26 April 2013 02:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 90 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-24

What a gorgeous and unusual tin Jeannette, and a beautiful treatment.  I love the way you’ve filled in the recessed hearts - did you make those hearts out of different types of chocolate?  How impressive!

Also good to know about that recipe.  I have loads of 3 cup tins, too many probably, but I’m reluctant to get rid of any!  I tend to do 2 3cup ones with a 6 cup recipe, do you think that would work?

6 of 11