7 of 11
bundt cakes, glazes and fillings
Posted: 26 April 2013 02:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 91 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  774
Joined  2007-11-15

Thank you, eag.  The chocolate hearts were bought from Asda, a Dr. Oetker product, and just the right size to fill the depressions in the top of the cake, luckily!  I made the cake for the daughter of a friend of mine , who had just come out of hospital, that’s why it is on a foil plate.  It was just about to be boxed to send around to her.

Posted: 27 April 2013 12:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 92 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1568
Joined  2011-02-17
eag - 26 April 2013 02:53 PM

Well Flour Girl,

I have used my bigger angel-food tin to make a chocolate angelfood cake.  My cake club’s theme was ‘pink’ so I made the angelfood cake, split it in two layers, drizzled with chocolate liqueur and kirsch, and filled and topped with cr?me fraiche mixed with icing sugar and the juice from drained frozen blackberries, and the blackberries themselves.  People said it was delicious though it certainly isn’t fancy. I’ve attached a photo.
But I haven’t used the little one yet but will do so now using your recipe!

Oh, that sounds FANTASTIC and looks so moist and delicious! What a great idea to torte that cake.

In the meantime I had a cake wreck.  With the yolks left from the angelfood cake I made up a Joy of Cooking recipe for an 8-yolk cake involving brown sugar, and milk swapped for sherry, and pecans.  It tasted delicious but crumbled when it came out of the bundt pan.  I used this one http://www.wilton.com/shapedpan/Dimensions-Belle-Pan
which I’ve used before with perfect results.  Didn’t stick, but once out it crumbled at the bottom, one of the ‘rungs’ just dropped off.  Very weird.  Unfortunately I didn’t take a picture.  My guess is that once again it’s all about tensile strength, no egg whites to pull things together!  I think I should have just made layer cakes as per the recipe, or maybe loaves.  Also Rose has a yolk yellow cake recipe, I probably just should have tinkered with that but I had 8 yolks, so an 8 yolk recipe seemed perfect!

I’m sorry about your cake wreck. I know how disheartening that could be.

I really like that pan. It reminds me of the Nordic Ware Blossom pan you have. I like both those pans because I imagine you get a nice, solid slice from cakes baked in them.

Posted: 27 April 2013 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 93 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
jeannette - 26 April 2013 05:13 PM

This is Rose’s Chocolate Velvet Fudge cake which I made last weekend.  I resized the recipe to fit this very small bundt tin, which only holds 3 cups!  I bought it from Lakeland a couple of years ago not realizing that there weren’t many recipes suitable for such a small tin!

I love that pan Jeannette. Do you know how many cups it holds?

Posted: 27 April 2013 12:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 94 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Thank you Flourgirl.  If you look at my comment you’ll see I say the tin holds Three cups only, and as the recipe I used was for a 10 cup tin I divided the recipe by 3 , which was easy enough.  The only problem, a little one, was the baking time.  I baked it for about 30 minutes but kept an eye on it, testing it to make sure it was baked through. As I said, I gave it away, but I did have a phone call later to thank me for it and I haven’t heard that it wasn’t enjoyed!!!  Mind you, if you are given a cake, would you complain?  smile

Posted: 27 April 2013 12:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 95 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

This pan has got to be my favorite Nordic Ware pan. It is so solid and easily releases simple, beautiful cakes.

http://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-Platinum-Collection-Pound/dp/B0000CFU6X/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1367077338&sr=1-1&keywords=nordic+ware+tube+pan

The other day I baked ‘Aunt Lillian’s Apple Cake’  from “Inside The Jewish Bakery”.  I believe the cake is a sponge cake.  This is an amazing cake. 

This is the online version of the recipe.  In the book, volume, ounces, grams and baker’s percentage are listed. 

http://www.koshereye.com/desserts/2001-aunt-lillians-apple-cake.html#.UXvxdeAc9SU

Apples are 510g/18oz
Flour 370g/13oz

If you want the other weights, just let me know.

I did not cut my apples into 1/2 inch cubes. I prefer to cut my apples smaller.

The cake was amazing.

I made a boiled cider glaze using 180g confectioner’s sugar, 15g boiled cider and 15g water whisked together.  I think I had to add a little more water to get it to the consistency I like.

If you don’t have boiled cider you can use frozen apple juice concentrate undiluted or just plain apple juice.

Image Attachments
phpvUgR5SAM.jpgphpGapOyzAM.jpg

Posted: 27 April 2013 02:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 96 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
jeannette - 27 April 2013 03:47 PM

Thank you Flourgirl.  If you look at my comment you’ll see I say the tin holds Three cups only, and as the recipe I used was for a 10 cup tin I divided the recipe by 3 , which was easy enough.  The only problem, a little one, was the baking time.  I baked it for about 30 minutes but kept an eye on it, testing it to make sure it was baked through.

I read your post when you initially posted it and must have forgot the size of the tin. I’d love to find a tin like yours. The closest I have come to finding something similar is this. It holds 10 cups.

http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-Dimensions-Cast-Aluminum-Nonstick—Hearts/dp/B0000DIX89/ref=sr_1_47?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1367083213&sr=1-47&keywords=heart+baking+pan

As I said, I gave it away, but I did have a phone call later to thank me for it and I haven’t heard that it wasn’t enjoyed!!!  Mind you, if you are given a cake, would you complain?  smile

That has happened to me too. I have had to ask the recipient how the cake turned out.  I, myself, would never do something like that. I’m sure I would go on and on about how much I enjoyed the cake to the point of becoming annoying. I’m very appreciative when someone does something nice for me. I’m more often on the giving end than receiving.

Posted: 27 April 2013 04:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 97 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Flourgirl,  I love the look of the Apple cake you made, I’m sure it was tasty, it sure looks it!  i think I might have a go at it myself.  I also like the Wilton tin you gave a link to, it is very similar to the one I have but much bigger.  I do find it hard to find recipes for mine as it is so small, but I can always decrease recipes the way I did with this last one.  Like you, I would certainly give my thoughts and appreciation to someone who went to the trouble of making a cake for me, but I am not too hurt in this instance as the recipient has been in for an operation which was quite worrying, she will get back to me soon, i’m sure.  Nice to get your thoughts and ideas on cake making, it makes me happy to bake and create! grin

Posted: 27 April 2013 04:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 98 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Thank you Jeanette. If you need the other weights of ingredients, just let me know.

Your tin is the perfect size for gift giving. I like that it is more of a shallow ring. I have so many 10 cup tins, something like your tin would be a welcome addition. I’ve never decreased a recipe. If I use a smaller tin, I halve a recipe but have never altered the quantity of ingredients, at least not yet.

I’m sorry to hear your friend was facing a worrisome time in her life. I hope all is well now.

I love baking and creating too.  The glaze on the apple cake is something I created. I based it on Thomas Keller’s proportions for his Rum glaze in his book Bouchon Bakery but substituted boiled cider for the rum. It is really excellent. I don’t make frostings too often. The cakes we have on a daily basis are more casual. I prefer glazes to dusting with confectioner’s sugar because the sugar tends to melt.  smile

Posted: 27 April 2013 05:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 99 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

I have the Thomas Keller book, it was a Christmas gift from a dear friend.  So far I have only made two of the recipes but they have both been very good.  The first one I made was the banana muffins, and I have since made them twice more, they were that good!  The other recipe I like is for the Raisin Cookies, the first one in the book I think, they are also very, very good.  Have you made anything from it, I would be interested to know what you think of the recipes and what you have made.

Posted: 27 April 2013 10:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 100 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

I made 2 recipes also.

I made the blueberry muffin recipe twice. My family liked it. I like the idea of preparing the batter and baking the next day. I also learned a lot from his techniques. I especially found weighing the muffin batter per well on a scale to be a great idea. My muffins really came out perfect using his method. 

I made the Rum Cake twice.  My family loved it. I made one to bring to Thanksgiving dinner and it was a hit. i didn’t have any because the number of eggs and amount of butter is way more than I will allow myself to eat.

I now use his Rum glaze proportions for all my glazes. My other glazes were not as thick until I started using Mr. Kellers. My glazes were very amaturish by comparison.

I always have over-ripe bananas laying around. I’m going to try the banana muffins next. 

Did you make the topping too? It sounds great!

Posted: 28 April 2013 03:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 101 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  67
Joined  2013-01-24

I hope you both don’t mind me joining in.  Just to say, I think you have sold me on this new book, which I’d never heard of!  So it’s off to amazon now wink

Posted: 28 April 2013 06:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 102 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Don’t mind you joining in at all , eag!  If you haven’t already ‘been’ to Amazon you will be interested to know that this book of Thomas Keller’s is a BIG book, you need some strength to hold it, I can tell you!  But it is well worth having just to read, he gives lots of tips and advice and his recipes, at least the ones I’ve made, are really good. It is quite expensive too, even on Amazon, costs about ?18 I think.  Do you have many baking books?  I seem to buy more since I discovered Amazon, I really have far too many! red face

Posted: 28 April 2013 06:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 103 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Flourgirl, sorry I meant to tell you I did make the topping for the Banana muffins, it really makes them that much nicer in my opinion.  The recipe makes more than needed for one batch of muffins, so I store what’s left over in the freezer for the next time. 
I shall have to look up the Rum glaze in the book, it sounds good.

Posted: 28 April 2013 01:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 104 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  67
Joined  2013-01-24

Ah yes, the discovery of Amazon…it’s just so eeeeesy isn’t it?!  I’m really looking forward to getting this book though.

I have 3(!) bundt books, but other than that, just RHC and Richard Sax’ book for purely baking books.  Though of course most cookery books have a baking section.  I need to work my way through the bundts in the actual Nordic Ware book.  Irritatingly many of them are for mixes, or for things like mac&cheese; (would be good in a bundt though!) but many also are from scratch, and I suspect those mostly work very well.  I should rewrite them with weight measurements. 

I spend far too much time gleaning recipes on the Internet.  A few months ago I yearned to make a coconut layer cake and spent ages looking at recipes on the web only to discover that my 1970s Fanny Farmer, given to me by my ma when we first moved to the UK, has the perfect recipe for the cake itself.*  The same is true of the Joy recipe for brownies, and many other things.  I think in those cookery books things have really been well-tested, and I also think that many if not most of the bundt recipes on the internet originated with recipes from Joy, FF, Good Hsekeeping Cookbook, Betty Crocker Cookbook, etc etc.  Not to mention Rose….

Flourgirl, I’m really interested that you go for recipes without butter - and cream also?  Because my husband is thinking he needs to cut down even more on things that might be harmful. I find myself liking cakes made with olive oil more and more.  It just seems to work so well.  I’m definitely wanting to try both your recipes.

*Though the internet did gift me a wondrous gooey marshmallow buttercream recipe involving marshmallow fluff - I don’t usually go in for that sort of thing but for coconut layer cake it does seem appropriate.

Posted: 29 April 2013 01:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 105 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
jeannette - 28 April 2013 09:38 AM

Flourgirl, sorry I meant to tell you I did make the topping for the Banana muffins, it really makes them that much nicer in my opinion.  The recipe makes more than needed for one batch of muffins, so I store what’s left over in the freezer for the next time. 
I shall have to look up the Rum glaze in the book, it sounds good.

Did you use the jumbo size muffin pan? My jumbo muffin tins holds 7oz.  I don’t remember having extra batter last batch of muffins I made from this book.

This is the tin I used which I got at a really good price using a special offer coupon:

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/williams-sonoma-nonstick-large-muffin-pan-6-well/?pkey=ccupcake-muffin-pans&

I like that he tells how many grams of batter and how many grams of topping for each muffin.

That topping sounds great! I wish I could have some; but, my family can and I plan to bake it for them this week. I have bananas I pureed in the freezer so I am good to go!

7 of 11