Flourless chocolate [quarter] sheet cake!
Posted: 29 January 2013 01:04 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2011-06-02

Hello everyone!
Did you guys see “The Taste” last week? There was this flourless chocolate cake which was baked in a sheet pan which looked really good. Actually it kinda looked like a brownie. Anyway, I was searching for the recipe online and found one on The Taste’s site, but:
1. The cake is baked in a “circular” pan. No diameter was given.
2. It’s a circular pan! I wanted a sheet pan.

So, based on the quantities [6 eggs + 1 cup of sugar whisked just until foamy [not seperated!], 5oz chocolate and 1/2 stick of butter] i’m guessing it’s a 9 inch solid cake pan, but would love to hear some thoughts about it. We also don’t usually bake in sheet pans in here [usually a 9x13 inch cake pan for parties or other gatherings], and anyway a sheet pan doesn’t fit in my oven, so I would like to know how do you guys think it would bake in 2 quarter sheet pans? The batter doesn’t seem that weird and maybe fairly close to ones you have done already in the past, that’s why I’m asking you here.

Thanks, in advance, for any piece of advice!

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 29 January 2013 07:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1153
Joined  2009-11-24

I know nuffin (nada, not anything, nothing) about sheet pans… actually came on to search on that subject myself.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 30 January 2013 05:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2011-06-02

Update: Well, the volume of a 1/4 sheet pan is very close to an 8 inch square pan. Because the batter is very similar to a brownie batter, which does not rise very much during baking, I figured i could just bake it as-is, no alterations necessary. And I did! i’m not sure how to check for doneness as the batter was very liquidy and the cocoa is just 1 TBS [without flour], so i took it out after about 15 minutes. It’s cooling in the fridge for now but i snuck a little taste and it tasted good- no dryness or signs of over-baking.

Signature 

McBrownie.