tier cake combo
Posted: 30 January 2013 06:20 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1178
Joined  2009-11-24

What tier combination do you suggest for 50 people?  The largest tier will be the (dreaded) yellow cake and the 2nd tier will be chocolate?  (I was all prepped to do the sheet cake and they decided on tier cake… ha ha).  I could end up regretting that.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 30 January 2013 06:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  339
Joined  2009-01-22

If they have no preference you could do a red velvet or a carrot cake for the third tier. If not one of these, then perhaps another butter cake like the white velvet or the golden luxury butter cake (I love this one!). Good luck and have fun with it!

- MP

Posted: 30 January 2013 07:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24

Thank you MP.  That butter cake is a good idea…..I was wondering what size to make the tiers.

Signature 

Posted: 30 January 2013 07:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  339
Joined  2009-01-22
CRenee - 30 January 2013 11:18 PM

Thank you MP.  That butter cake is a good idea…..I was wondering what size to make the tiers.

Well, given that you are trying to make a cake to serve about 50 people it seems like a three-tiered cake will be a lot of cake, even with small cakes for each tier. According to the table near the back of TCB, a two-layer 9” cake should serve 45 people, so two more tiers each being smaller will still be a lot of cake. However, I thought someone once told me that serving portions in that table were a typo and meant for a different number of layers. I could be wrong and I hope someone will chime in if I’m wrong about that. I suppose each tier could be a single layer, but if you are doing two layers per tier and the serving table in the back is correct, I would not go any larger than a 10” for the bottom, an 8” for the middle, and a 6” for the top. According to my math, and assuming the serving portions the back are correct, this will give you a little more than double what you need for 50 people. I guess each guest could take some with them to help with all the extra cake. Sorry I couldn’t be more helpful. Hopefully others will add to this discussion and give you better advice. Good luck!

- MP

Posted: 30 January 2013 11:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24

Thanks MP, general consensus on this forum has been that what is in the back is too small a slice.  Using Earlene’s chart, I only need two tiers.  a 10 and 8 for 45 people.  or a 12 and 8 or a 11 and 8 or maybe one could be 7”.  What often happens when there are two flavors is some folks want a piece of each.  In this case, the frosting will be the same that may not happen.  The Birthday girl said a good slice of cake.  SHe does not want to skimp on them. 

Unfortunately, I like to muse every detail when baking.

Signature 

Posted: 31 January 2013 01:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  904
Joined  2009-05-25

Hi CRenee,

Why not cut the slices as per Rose’s table (but make enough cake as per Earline’s table)?  That way if, people want seconds or mixed slices then you don’t need double the cake, just smaller slices so people can have the equivalent of one portion by taking seconds or mixing cake types?

Posted: 31 January 2013 11:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24

Thank you Sherrie.  I will see what the potential customer decides.  Of course, he better decide momentarily if he wants this cake on Saturday.

Signature 

Posted: 31 January 2013 11:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  904
Joined  2009-05-25

Of course!  The client always dictates, and nothing like leaving it to the last minute!

Posted: 31 January 2013 06:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24

Well they have responded ... a 12 and 8 with Cooked Frosting.  This cooked frosting was on my bucket list…so I guess I will find out.  I am not sure what is more scarey, the 12” tier or the Cooked Frosting!!

Signature 

Posted: 01 February 2013 08:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

For what it’s worth, I’ve made three-tiered cake several years running for a crowd of about 75.  It’s a 6-8-10, the slice sizes are normal, not tiny wedding cake size, and there are usually about 6-8 slices left over, just enough to make me feel comfortable with the amount.  First time I made it, I was worried about how the tiers would look with the difference in size being smaller than a traditional cake (which is 6-9-12), but it looks great.  I plan the decor mostly for the sides of the cake.

Good luck!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 01 February 2013 10:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24

thank you, Julie.  I would have suggested something like that if the two tiers were not different flavors.  That makes me feel even more certain that this 12” and 8” will be plenty.  Problem is when you have two flavors a few want some of both.  However, this is cooked frosting not IMBC :(

Signature