Failure, Gold Ingots, Financiers Classique
Posted: 30 January 2013 08:55 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2012-03-07

Something is very wrong with my financiers.  I hope you can help.  There is no golden yellow color and they rose but then caved back in the center so they look like a funnel. 
I used round muffin pans, 2.5 inches in diameter.  There is a golden color on the sides and bottom where the metal muffin pan touches the cake, but not on top,  I took them out as soon as they sprang back. 
And I admit I toasted the almonds, ground them and weighed them after they were toasted and ground.  Perhaps I should weigh the almonds before I toast and grind them. 
Maybe I don?t understand the butter. 
Here?s my measurements

Almonds      
Butter
    Beurre noisette
    Melted butter  
Superfine sugar    
Pastry flour          
Baking Powder    
Egg whites  
Vanilla              

Help! Help!

Posted: 01 February 2013 08:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16

Your formula looks perfect to me, the butter is correct.  Now that we’ve checked it, I’m going to edit out the amounts, as Rose requests that we refrain from posting any of her recipes that her publisher hasn’t released for general publicity.

Here are a few things to check:  how much protein in your pastry flour, oven hot enough, and how hot was the butter when you added it to the batter? 

re: flour, King Arthur recently reformulated their pastry flour to contain only 8% protein, and I’ve found that it is too weak for some recipes (Rose has used a 9.2% protein flour for pastry flour, which is still the content of their professional pastry flour and used to be the content of their flour for home use as well).

re: oven temp, check with an oven thermometer to make sure it isn’t too cool.

re: butter temp, I’m just checking to see that your 275F temp note didn’t refer to the buerre noisette at the time you added it to the batter.  It only needs to be kept warm enough to be liquid.  If it’s too hot it will cook the proteins in the eggs and keep them from rising/setting properly in the oven.  When making the buerrre noisette, gauge its doneness by the color of the milk solids rather than by looking at its temp.

editing to add: just re-read your post and saw the size of the muffin tins- that may be the issue.  These are designed for a pan that is only 1” wide, and yours is 2.5” wide.  Use mini-muffin tins or consider springing for the finanicier tins.  smile

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 01 February 2013 09:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2012-03-07

Oops! - Yes, of course, we cannot publish Rose’s recipes.  They have to buy her books like we did! 
Thank you for confirming that I got the butter correct.  I was worried about that. 

I am sure I used the correct temperature according to her recipe. 
I may have used too much almond because I weighed them after I roasted them. 

I will try it again because it seems worthwhile because the picture in her “Heavenly Cakes” book is just wonderful. 

As for the pastry flour, I made my own.  In a recent previous Topic here, (”Making Pastry Flour to Exact Protein Percentages”),
I went to a lot of trouble to come up with a proper protein percentage for pastry flour, which is 80% cake flour to 20% Hard Flour. 

Edit:  And yes, the buerrre noisette was only warm when I added it to the batter. 

Finally, I am going to get some silicone molds in a few weeks. 

Thanks.

Posted: 01 February 2013 09:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16
StephenRay - 01 February 2013 01:21 PM

I may have used too much almond because I weighed them after I roasted them.

This will have given you less water and more fiber/protein/fat, as well as a slightly heavier weight.  I would have thought that the difference would have been within the margin of safety, but perhaps it’s possible that this, combined with the larger diameter pan, sabotaged the structure just enough to create a problem. 

As for the pastry flour, I made my own.

Sounds like you did the right thing here, as well.  smile

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls