Raspberry Conserve—Oops or not
Posted: 31 January 2013 06:22 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1196
Joined  2009-11-24

Okay may Raspberry conserve today.  I wonder if I cooked it too long.  It was less than 4 hours ago.  WHen I turn the jar upside down the jam does not move.  It spread like jam is supposed to…. but??!! Is this an indication that it will be too hard later like when I use it as a filling (client request) for a cake tomorrow night? 

I think this is my first time with raspberry conserve, I have made the puree..but not the conserve.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 01 February 2013 08:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4823
Joined  2008-04-16

I’m like you- made the puree, but not the conserve.  It’s my understanding that this is supposed to be like jam from the natural pectin in the berries.  So I think you may be fine.  But hopefully someone with direct experience will chime in.  Thicker texture makes sense when I think about it’s used- for instance, with the silk meringue buttercream, which already has a lot of liquid from the milk, and jam cream, which is like cloud cream except that the curd/conserve added is thick enough to stabilize the cream so that no gelatin is necessary (cloud cream with puree needs gelatin).

What are you making?  smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or less) Sour - Part II

Posted: 01 February 2013 10:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1196
Joined  2009-11-24

thank you Julie, I think it will be fine also.  I may thin it just slightly with raspberry chambord (is that redundant)? 

Funny, what am I making?  The Raspberry Conserve is filling for an 8” Chocolate Cake.  (I am making F&W chocolate, I have mentioned before). 
The 12” layer of this cake will be yellow cake.  The frosting for both will be Vanilla Cooked Frosting.  It is my first time making that also.  I did a test batch last night Of course, it is not like IMBC or any meringue frosting, but it is not overly sweet.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.