Help with envelopes :(
Posted: 01 February 2013 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2013-01-30

I want to suprise my Mom by ordering some printed envelopes made of images of her cooking for my brother and I. As I attempt to order them, their program tells me that some images are unfit because of low resolution. Can anyone possibly explain how that can be done? I would very much appreciate any broadening of my understanding for this until Tuesday.

Posted: 01 February 2013 01:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1214
Joined  2009-11-24

To my knowledge you cannot make a low resolution photo higher.  If you have the original photos perhaps they were taken at a higher resolution.  The low resolution to them means they cannot produce a decent image for what you / they are trying to do.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 01 February 2013 09:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1376
Joined  2008-09-27

The only thing that matters with an image is the number of pixels it contains; “resolution” only becomes a meaningful concept when the image is output to some display medium, such as screen or paper, where it tells the output device how many pixels there are to some display device measurement. You can change the resolution of an image without removing or adding pixels using graphics software such as Photoshop (very pricey). Or you can download some freeware like Gimp, which can do it for free.  A bit complex to use, though, if you aren’t familiar with graphics software. You could probably Google on how to do it. Or maybe there is a website that can do it for you…let me check.

Ok, this site:

http://image.online-convert.com/convert-to-jpg

It allows you to specify a “DPI”, which means Dots per Inch, which is the same as resolution.  I increased the resolution of a .jpg file I had to 300 DPI, which should be good enough to print.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 04 February 2013 07:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2013-01-30

Ok, this site:

http://image.online-convert.com/convert-to-jpg

It allows you to specify a “DPI”, which means Dots per Inch, which is the same as resolution.  I increased the resolution of a .jpg file I had to 300 DPI, which should be good enough to print.

Thank you for taking the time to find this Charles, it worked, I was able to set it at 300 DPI, yay!

Have a good week, and thanks again!