Cake size for 35 people and upside down frosting technique
Posted: 03 February 2013 08:41 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  128
Joined  2011-05-15

Hey there , so i ve gotten an order for 35 people. im more than a little worried abt tiering cake so i figured making a pan size big enough would be the bettter way to do it. Would a 12 inch round cake be enough for this purpose?I usually bake 2 cakes and torte each cake. so that makes 3 layers of filling. so its a pretty tall cake.
Also i was planning on trying the upside down method of frosting to get an even cake , has anyone done this with a monster 12 inch??

Posted: 03 February 2013 04:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1174
Joined  2009-11-24

I think 12” is plenty at wedding size slice, at slight larger - just making it - family size - maybe not enough. 
But if you have three layers of filling, probably enough. 

I am probably not really helping,,, as I do not even know what upside down method of frosting is. 

I did a 12” this weekend, found it not difficult - although I also prefer to tier two cakes than bake a 12”

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 03 February 2013 04:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-05-15

thanks CRenee , like you, i would prefer to bake 2 seperate cakes rather than a 12 inch but the thought of dowelling freaks the heck out of me!!! The upside down method of frosting is when u use 2 cakeboards to frost the cake. You basically slop enough buttercream larger than the size of ur cake say for a 6 inch u slop on about 8 inch circle of buttercream on to a piece of parchment that ‘s on cakeboard which is attached to the turntable.and then u put ur cold crumb coated cake smack on the buttercream u then smooth the sides and when u re done,in it goes to the fridge. when its nice and cold u take it out. invert it peel off the parchment et voila the bottom becomes a smoothly iced top with perfect sides. i dont know how much of this u followed. lol But there are some tutorials on this on the net =)

Posted: 03 February 2013 06:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Chocoholic,  look on CakeCentral.com for a couple tutorials on the upside down method.  I have used it a few times and it does work quite well.  I used it for the wedding cake in my avatar picture.  I had to get my husband to help me flip the bottom tier becauce it was a 16 inch cake about 4 1/2 to 5 inches high.  Very heavy for one person to flip without problems.
But I think you should be able to flip a 12 inch easier.  If not, just get someone to help you flip it.

Posted: 04 February 2013 05:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24

What??!!!  Get outta here!!!  If I had heard that before I missed. I just watched a video and can hardly wait to frost a cake that way!!

Signature 

Posted: 04 February 2013 11:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-05-15

Thanks liza , i have watched the videos and picture tutorials a million times yet cant seem to muster the courage, i saw some of the horror stories of cake ripping apart on the board u see =O . Did you freeze your 16 inch wll and good before u flipped it ? Also i have another question i have a layer of dacquoise and then a lyer of a ferero filling and a lyer of praline silk meringue on the inside when im flipping it around do u think theres a possibility of the dacquoise gets squished and shattering ?

CRenee - So cool right!!!! I Spent so much time trying to get those smooth sides and sharp edges ! Cant wait to see your cake done this way. Hope it turns out right!

Posted: 05 February 2013 12:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
chocoholic - 05 February 2013 03:47 AM

Thanks liza , i have watched the videos and picture tutorials a million times yet cant seem to muster the courage, i saw some of the horror stories of cake ripping apart on the board u see =O . CRenee - So cool right!!!! I Spent so much time trying to get those smooth sides and sharp edges ! Cant wait to see your cake done this way. Hope it turns out right!

Oh you bet it will be a practice cake….problem is I have to plan to have available freezer space… I am not into freezing cakes as yet…so that will be another experience.

Signature 

Posted: 05 February 2013 10:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3147
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, all!

When I have to flip something over, I put something supportive, like a cookie sheet or coling rack on it.

So, your cake is face down on solid frosting (because it’s cold, right) on waxed paper.

Then, put a cookie sheet or cooling rack on the base of the cake.  This supports the cake as you flip it. 

This is what I do even when I have to turn a layer over after removing it from the pan.

—ak

p.s.  Never flipped anything bigger than 9” though.

Posted: 05 February 2013 08:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Hi chocoholic,

I put my cake in the fridge for a few hours before I flipped it, so it was nice and firm.  I probably would have put it in the freezer,  but I didn’t have the room for 16” X 5” cake.  Too full of baking supplies and such.

Your dacquoise should be fine because if it is done properly, the cake layers aren’t squished at all.

Posted: 05 February 2013 11:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Liza - 06 February 2013 12:30 AM

I put my cake in the fridge for a few hours before I flipped it, so it was nice and firm.  I probably would have put it in the freezer,  but I didn’t have the room for 16” X 5” cake.

This is good to know as I am anxious to try this. 

Liza - 06 February 2013 12:30 AM

Too full of baking supplies and such.

Yes, I need to buy a full size freezer for baking purposes and I live alone.

Signature 

Posted: 06 February 2013 04:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

My dream freezer is a double door SubZero freezer, or even better…A WALK IN FREEZER!!!!.  ( Only in my dreams, unless of course I win the lottery )