question abt silk meringue creme anglais and a picture =D
Posted: 04 February 2013 11:00 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  128
Joined  2011-05-15

So i ve made the silk meringue many a time and each time i make it i always go thru this period of wondering if
a) My creme anglais is thick enough ( I use a thermapen and yet i do cook it a little bit more till i get it to the thickness i think it should be , think a sauce a very loose sauce ) At 180 F it s still VERY loose for me

b) HOW MUCH of the creme anglais should we be having after this cooking process? One of the rare moments where rose has missed out to mention the amount .VERY RARE. lol i always wonder since im cooking it a little bit more am i losing the volume? Prolly am. Anyhoo i have included a pic of my completed creme anglais. it s night here and pic is mac quality but hopefully u guys will get some sort of shady idea =D

Image Attachments
Photo on 2013-02-04 at 18.45.jpg

Posted: 04 February 2013 12:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3147
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Choco!

Creme anglais should be about the thickness of completely melted (i.e., not simply softed) ice cream. 

Mostly becaue I THINK it is, more or less, ice cream base!

—ak

Posted: 04 February 2013 02:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  128
Joined  2011-05-15

Hey anne in NC , Yes i keep reading that it looking like melted ice cream but somehow that description isnt really helping me out much! maybe i should take a video that might show the texture better… Also the amount of creme anglais we must have at the end would help. Next time im hoping to measure it out to check how much i end up with….

Posted: 05 February 2013 10:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3147
Joined  2010-04-25

Well, let’s just say it’s thinner than you probably expect it to be!

I’m trying to think of another one.  Hollandaise sauce?  Trouble with everything but melted ice cream is that it depends on who’s making it, so gravy, tomato soup, etc., are all kind of like YOUR gravy or MY gravy, if you know what I mean!

First, let me say, that by looking at your spatula and the traces in your bowl, yours looks about right to me.

Unfortunately, I don’t remember the quantity it produces…..