1 of 2
75th Birthday
Posted: 04 February 2013 07:15 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1180
Joined  2009-11-24

I am still frustrated nd extremely challenged with wirting on cakes.  And it appears my top level was not even. I do have to be careful about last minute requests.  This cake is 12” tier Yellow with cooked vanilla frosting / filling and chocolate cake with raspberry conserve filling and same vanilla frosting.  THe pink roses are modeling chocolate ( I actually used Merckens candy melt). 

[IMG /IMG].

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 04 February 2013 07:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1360
Joined  2008-09-27

Happy Birthday.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 04 February 2013 07:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24

Thank you Charles….this was for a co-worker’s MOM.

Signature 

Posted: 04 February 2013 08:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  339
Joined  2009-01-22

CRenee,

I, too, share your frustration and challenge with writing on cakes. One of the biggest problems I have with piping in general is that even though I do my best to eliminate any air pockets in the pastry bag, sometimes I miss one or two and then right in the middle of piping I get a “blowout” and the piping work is wrecked. Between that happening and my hands not being so steady my writing on cakes suffers. I’m getting better, but I still have a lot of room for improvement.

I love your cake here. I couldn’t tell that the top layer was not even, but I’ll take your word for it. Overall I still think it looks great. And I love the work you did with the modeling chocolate. It’s a beautiful cake.

- MP smile

Posted: 04 February 2013 10:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1360
Joined  2008-09-27
CRenee - 04 February 2013 11:51 PM

<snicker>  Sorry, couldn’t resist. grin

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 05 February 2013 12:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
CharlesT - 05 February 2013 02:17 AM

It is funny considering I can hardly believe how close I am to the reverse of that ....

Signature 

Posted: 05 February 2013 01:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17
CharlesT - 05 February 2013 02:17 AM

she’d still be 15 years younger than me   LOL

Posted: 05 February 2013 01:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

CRenee, your cake is FABULOUS!! I love everything about it.

Posted: 05 February 2013 01:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Flour Girl - 05 February 2013 05:46 AM

CRenee, your cake is FABULOUS!! I love everything about it.

You are so kind, thank you..  I made a point to take a photo that did not show the writing.

Signature 

Posted: 05 February 2013 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3170
Joined  2010-04-25

Agreed!  It’s beautiful!  I love the vertical side swirls you did.  And your piping is very pretty!

Posted: 05 February 2013 02:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4795
Joined  2008-04-16

Cake looks absolutely great- don’t sell yourself short!  Bet it was super delicious, too smile

If it makes you feel any better- I avoid writing on cakes at all costs, and when really pushed to do so, I write on the serving platter around the base of the cake instead of directly on the cake itself.  That way I can wipe off any letters that aren’t spaced properly or shaped well and re-do them without ruining the cake frosting.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 05 February 2013 03:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3170
Joined  2010-04-25

Same here.  I never write on cakes, either!

Posted: 05 February 2013 05:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Julie - 05 February 2013 06:40 PM

Cake looks absolutely great- don’t sell yourself short!  Bet it was super delicious, too smile

If it makes you feel any better- I avoid writing on cakes at all costs, and when really pushed to do so, I write on the serving platter around the base of the cake instead of directly on the cake itself.  That way I can wipe off any letters that aren’t spaced properly or shaped well and re-do them without ruining the cake frosting.

Thank you Julie, I certainly should have considered doing that in this case.  Sometimes I create a fondant or pastillage plaque and write on it.  I certainly need to practice.  Delicious ,,, I guess so…. it was a yellow cake

Signature 

Posted: 05 February 2013 05:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Anne in NC - 05 February 2013 06:31 PM

Agreed!  It’s beautiful!  I love the vertical side swirls you did.  And your piping is very pretty!

Thank you Anne… at least the cooked frosting piped.

Signature 

Posted: 05 February 2013 08:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Your cake looks wonderful!!!  Such pretty chocolate roses.  I couldn’t tell the top layer wasn’t level. 

I refuse to write on cakes.  I ended up buying clixstix alphabet cutters and cut out fondant or gumpaste to put on cakes.  I really need alot more practice to be confident enough to write on cakes.

Just curious,  what recipe do you use for your chocolate roses?  I have only made chocolate clay with real chocolate, but I would rather use the merkens ( since most times, the rose are not eaten ), so I can save the real stuff for baking.

Posted: 05 February 2013 11:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Liza - 06 February 2013 12:37 AM

I refuse to write on cakes.  I ended up buying clixstix alphabet cutters and cut out fondant or gumpaste to put on cakes.  I really need alot more practice to be confident enough to write on cakes.

Sometimes I do something like that.  Whare are clixstix and where can I find them.  I will definitely be purchasing various sizes of cutout letters so I can do this always henceforth. 

Liza - 06 February 2013 12:37 AM

Your cake looks wonderful!!!  Such pretty chocolate roses.  I couldn’t tell the top layer wasn’t level. 

Just curious,  what recipe do you use for your chocolate roses?  I have only made chocolate clay with real chocolate, but I would rather use the merkens ( since most times, the rose are not eaten ), so I can save the real stuff for baking.

In another recent post, I talked about practicing roses.  Sherrie reported she uses Dede Wilson from The Wedding Cake Book.  Even though my first attempt seemed too oily but worked out.  My second attempt came together the whole process through.  So Dede Wilson for those pink roses.  I put the petal between parchment and thin it out with a spoon.

Signature 

1 of 2