Buttercream frosting
Posted: 05 February 2013 08:08 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

Does anyone have anytips on finding a buttercream frosting (a uncooked one)that is stiff enough to use for piping?  I love love love mousse line, but I’m making cupcakes for my daughters bday and frankly, they don’t need that spectacular of icing (kids love sugar). I want to make just a plain vanilla buttercream with confec sugar, but every recipe I see looks the same and for some reason I can’t get it to be pipeable. Am I doing something wrong? They keep coming out more like glazes….then I add more sugar, gets stiffer but then melts….

Posted: 05 February 2013 01:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1174
Joined  2009-11-24

You said uncooked…so I this does ot qualify.  It does qualify as not sugar syrup and does pipe. 
I used this on the 75th birthday cake (shown in recent post here). 

http://www.landolakes.com/recipe/581/old-fashioned-cooked-frosting

It worked fine multiplied. You could also use milk (as many do)

I used the Land of Lakes recipe but followed the process I found here: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEefX3sOWFk

trust me.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 05 February 2013 02:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

Perfect! Can’t wait to try it

Posted: 05 February 2013 03:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  339
Joined  2009-01-22

I like the recipe CRenee posted and I think I’ll try it in the future.

If you don’t mind a frosting that’s loaded with sugar and great for piping then you will like this vanilla frosting:

1 cup softened butter
1 Tsp vanilla extract
2-3 Tblsp milk
4 cups powdered sugar

Directions:
Using the paddle attachment, cream the butter. Add the vanilla extract and cream a little more.

Begin adding the powdered sugar one cup at a time with mixer at low speed, then increase to medium speed until all the sugar is mixed in. Repeat this process until all the sugar has been added and incorporated.

Add the milk when the frosting begins to thicken (I add it after about half of the sugar has been added). You can adjust the amount of milk you add, depending on how thick you want the frosting to be.

This pipes very nicely and takes about 10 -15 minutes to make.

Good luck and have fun with your cupcakes, frosting, and party, SweetNess14445

Posted: 05 February 2013 07:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

Thanks so much! I actually love sugary frosting lol

Posted: 06 February 2013 02:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  339
Joined  2009-01-22

No problem smile I forgot to mention this in my first post, but this is a crusting buttercream, so if it sits out for more than 10-15 minutes before being eaten the frosting will begin to crust a bit. Also, to give you an idea of how it works for piping, this is the frosting I used to do the piping work on the cupcakes in my last show and tell post. I ran out of mousseline buttercream and didn’t want to have to go through making another batch of that, so I went with this one and thought it was great for cupcakes. I don’t think I would frost a cake with this frosting, but for cupcakes I think it’s pretty good.

Posted: 17 February 2013 08:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04
CRenee - 05 February 2013 05:15 PM

You said uncooked…so I this does ot qualify.  It does qualify as not sugar syrup and does pipe. 
I used this on the 75th birthday cake (shown in recent post here). 

http://www.landolakes.com/recipe/581/old-fashioned-cooked-frosting

It worked fine multiplied. You could also use milk (as many do)

I used the Land of Lakes recipe but followed the process I found here: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEefX3sOWFk

trust me.

I made this land o lakes recipe last night…..tasted good but a little too soft for my liking.  Seemed to pipe ok but doesn’t seem like it would hold up to flowers….unless I did it wrong! Was nice and soft and fluffy

Posted: 17 February 2013 01:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  670
Joined  2012-01-12

When I make buttercream I combine butter and a little crisco. Like 90% butter. Milk is slightly warm, not hot. Probably it is over mixed and it breaks down. That is the only reason I can think of. I myself do not like butter cream that taste like it has “sand” in it.

‹‹ 75th Birthday      Did I miss this? ››