Classic buttercream question
Posted: 05 February 2013 10:45 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3132
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, all!

So, I’ve got this leftover syrup from making orangettes.  The syrup is 50/50 water/sugar, plus lots of orange flavor from simmering those orange rinds!  It is relatively thick, but not quite as thick as corn syrup.  Somewhere between honey and corn syrup, I’d say.

I thought it would make a great classic buttercream base.  Actually, it will be orange/rosewater/cardamon buttercream filling for my first attempt at macarons!  I am very excited.  My fabulous boss brought me a bottle of rosewater yesterday*, so I thought macarons!  (Even though I’ve never had one).

Anyway, I was thinking that since classic is sugar + water boiled to, I think, 230 or 238, I could use this.  Any reason why it shouldn’t work?  It’s got acid, so it shouldn’t crystallize.  Once it gets to temp, that should evidence the correct proportion of water to sugar.

Any thoughts????

Thanks in advance!!!!

—ak

* In addition to a cactus leaf and 3 guava, which don’t really come into play here, but I wanted to be accurate with the facts.

Posted: 05 February 2013 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16

Makes perfect sense to me.  You might add a bit of water before heating to temp, just to make sure it isn’t starting out with a higher proportion of sugar than necessary.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 05 February 2013 03:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3132
Joined  2010-04-25

Sounds good! And thanks!