1 of 2
What are you baking for Valentine’s Day?
Posted: 06 February 2013 02:47 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

I’m trying to figure out what sort of chocolate cake will be in my heart-shaped pan this year. smile

I’ve always wanted to make a cake based on truffles from a talented local chocolatier- one is a dark chocolate-port truffle, and the other is a caramel, grand marnier and dark chocolate “mountain”.  However, making a cake like that will likely involve a few test runs, so I may opt for something more tried and true. 

What are you planning? 

What is your favorite chocolate cake?

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 06 February 2013 04:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  676
Joined  2012-01-12

I am planning sugar cookies w/ stencil decorations. That is the plan grin

My favorite chocolate cake is the Hershey dark chocolate cake recipe. I modified it a little bit by adding a hint of cinnamon and it was great.

Posted: 06 February 2013 05:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  339
Joined  2009-01-22
Julie - 06 February 2013 06:47 PM

I’m trying to figure out what sort of chocolate cake will be in my heart-shaped pan this year. smile

I’ve always wanted to make a cake based on truffles from a talented local chocolatier- one is a dark chocolate-port truffle, and the other is a caramel, grand marnier and dark chocolate “mountain”.  However, making a cake like that will likely involve a few test runs, so I may opt for something more tried and true. 

What are you planning? 

What is your favorite chocolate cake?

I’m still trying to figure out what I will make this year. I know it’s a bit cliche, but I usually make a red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting. This year I was thinking about making red velvet cupcakes, but I think I may try something other than red velvet this year. I still haven’t decided, but I better decide soon since it’s a week away.

I think my favorite chocolate cake is Rose’s All-American Chocolate butter cake, but a close second is the Death by Chocolate cake I made for a dinner party recently.

The chocolate cake I really want to try, but I’d like to get some more tools and materials before I try it, is a cake from TCB (I can’t remember the name of it now) that is a chocolate genoise with the top and bottom crusts removed and then wrapped in a chocolate band that folds in over the top of the cake before the band sets. The issue with this, however, is that I have only made a genoise in a jelly roll pan, so I’m a little concerned about baking it in a round pan (I think in a springform pan). I’ve heard so many nightmare stories about trying to bake a genoise. And from my own personal experiences, it’s been a real hit or miss kind of thing. The ones that worked for me turned out very well, but those that haven’t were absolute train wrecks, so I’ve suffered the utter humiliation of defeat at the hands of the genoise. I haven’t had any middle-of-the-road stories with the genoise. It’s one extreme or the other.

Posted: 06 February 2013 10:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  904
Joined  2009-05-25

Are you thinking of the Triple Chocolate Cake, MP?  I love it (so much so it’s my avatar photo!)!  What is the Death by chocolate you speak of?  Sounds like the way to go if you ask me!!

Life is pretty chaotic at the moment….so if I bake something, it may be the brownies from Rose’s cookie book in heart shaped individual portions.  If I even get that baked, it will be an accomplishment…sometimes baking is not a priority!

And Julie, I’m always so intrigued by your daring ideas!!  I’d love to know how they turn out if you venture into “unknown” territory!

Posted: 06 February 2013 10:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22
Sherrie - 07 February 2013 02:06 AM

Are you thinking of the Triple Chocolate Cake, MP?  I love it (so much so it’s my avatar photo!)!  What is the Death by chocolate you speak of?  Sounds like the way to go if you ask me!!

Yep, that’s the one. I was pretty sure triple was in the name, but I couldn’t be certain since I don’t have my copy of TCB with me. It seems like a wonderful cake, but I find the genoise so intimidating. So, between the intimidation factor and wanting a few more pieces of equipment, I haven’t tried to bake this one yet.

The Death by Chocolate cake I was referring to is technically a cake, but it has a very dense texture to it (kind of like a fudge brownie) and it is very rich. I loved it, but it’s so rich and flavorful that unlike other types of cake, a very small slice of it left me satiated.

Posted: 06 February 2013 11:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1179
Joined  2009-11-24

Well you all sound so adventurous.  I am so indecisive.  I am baking some six inch on layer heart cakes by request.  As far as anythin new or for my family, I have not decided….because I am so indecisive.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 07 February 2013 01:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22
CRenee - 07 February 2013 03:18 AM

Well you all sound so adventurous.  I am so indecisive.  I am baking some six inch on layer heart cakes by request.  As far as anythin new or for my family, I have not decided….because I am so indecisive.

I think that’s a problem many of us have. With so many choices, yet the ability to only make one at a time, it’s no wonder we have a hard time deciding which one to do next. I’ve had my TCB for a few years now and haven’t even come close to making a fourth of what’s in there, let alone all of them. And I still need to get RHC and conquer those, too.

Your signature says it all, CRenee.

Posted: 07 February 2013 10:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Monsieur P?tisserie - 07 February 2013 05:15 AM
CRenee - 07 February 2013 03:18 AM

I think that’s a problem many of us have. With so many choices, yet the ability to only make one at a time, it’s no wonder we have a hard time deciding which one to do next. I’ve had my TCB for a few years now and haven’t even come close to making a fourth of what’s in there, let alone all of them. And I still need to get RHC and conquer those, too.

Your signature says it all, CRenee.

Yes, I too have had TCB for a looong time. Meanwhile, I love RHC and have baked more from it.  But I could not be without TCB!!

Signature 

Posted: 07 February 2013 12:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17
Monsieur P?tisserie - 07 February 2013 02:20 AM

Yep, that’s the one. I was pretty sure triple was in the name, but I couldn’t be certain since I don’t have my copy of TCB with me. It seems like a wonderful cake, but I find the genoise so intimidating. So, between the intimidation factor and wanting a few more pieces of equipment, I haven’t tried to bake this one yet.

The Death by Chocolate cake I was referring to is technically a cake, but it has a very dense texture to it (kind of like a fudge brownie) and it is very rich. I loved it, but it’s so rich and flavorful that unlike other types of cake, a very small slice of it left me satiated.

I have that book Monsieur. I love it but have never made the title recipe. I find Rose’s cakes much less intimidating than Marcel’s.

I often make Marcel’s “Mom’s Chocolate Chip Date Cake” to bring to family gatherings.

Posted: 07 February 2013 12:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

Hmmm, I haven’t thought about it yet but maybe the Red Velvet Cake and Dreamy Creamy White Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting in a heart pan or the Apple Upside-Down Cake, the first recipe in RHC. The Apple Upside-Down Cake is my husband’s all-time fav.

Posted: 07 February 2013 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25
Monsieur P?tisserie - 06 February 2013 09:34 PM

I think my favorite chocolate cake is Rose’s All-American Chocolate butter cake, but a close second is the Death by Chocolate cake I made for a dinner party recently.

I just checked out the recipe for that cake…if you can handle that the Triple Chocolate Cake will be likely easier/similar in depth.  The genoise can be finnicky, but in all fairness, even my suboptimal ones have been just fine with that cake!

Posted: 07 February 2013 03:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Are you thinking of the Triple Chocolate Cake, MP?  (so much so it’s my avatar photo!)!

I like the triple chocolate a lot, too- but I’ve already done it for Valentine’s, a couple of years ago:  http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/3011/#28464

I’d love to know how they turn out if you venture into “unknown” territory!

I did venture into unknown territory a bit this week, but nothing special to report- after rum cake showed up on your bucket list, I was reminded that it was a favorite cake of my husband’s when he was a teenager and tried a couple of versions.  One used the Golden Butter Cream cake and the other the Karmel cake.  I keep putting too much rum in and other flavors get lost.  I think the reason the cake mix version works so well is that those mixes are intensely (albeit artificially) flavored to cover up the taste of the additives that give them tolerance. But with all that artificial flavor they can stand up to the rum.  One useful thing I can report is that I cut the sugar in the glaze in half (left all the other ingredients as is) and it was just about right for me.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 07 February 2013 05:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Julie - 07 February 2013 07:23 PM

Are you thinking of the Triple Chocolate Cake, MP?  (so much so it’s my avatar photo!)!

I like the triple chocolate a lot, too- but I’ve already done it for Valentine’s, a couple of years ago:  http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/3011/#28464

I’d love to know how they turn out if you venture into “unknown” territory!

I did venture into unknown territory a bit this week, but nothing special to report- after rum cake showed up on your bucket list, I was reminded that it was a favorite cake of my husband’s when he was a teenager and tried a couple of versions.  One used the Golden Butter Cream cake and the other the Karmel cake.  I keep putting too much rum in and other flavors get lost.  I think the reason the cake mix version works so well is that those mixes are intensely (albeit artificially) flavored to cover up the taste of the additives that give them tolerance. But with all that artificial flavor they can stand up to the rum.  One useful thing I can report is that I cut the sugar in the glaze in half (left all the other ingredients as is) and it was just about right for me.

If Rum cake was not on my bucket list…it should have been.  I have seen a couple of recipes to try.

Signature 

Posted: 07 February 2013 05:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24

Actually, I would love a suggestion for my quilted heart cake pan.  Ideas?  I am wondering if the Black Party Fudge Cake in RHC will work.

Signature 

Posted: 07 February 2013 06:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25
Monsieur P?tisserie - 07 February 2013 02:20 AM

It seems like a wonderful cake, but I find the genoise so intimidating. So, between the intimidation factor and wanting a few more pieces of equipment, I haven’t tried to bake this one yet.

If you do decide to bake this cake look up Rose’s post about “pellets be gone”—I can’t recall if it’s for this cake base or not, but it may help you out!!

Posted: 08 February 2013 03:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22
Flour Girl - 07 February 2013 04:01 PM

I have that book Monsieur. I love it but have never made the title recipe. I find Rose’s cakes much less intimidating than Marcel’s.

I often make Marcel’s “Mom’s Chocolate Chip Date Cake” to bring to family gatherings.

I just googled that book and found a few books with the title “Death By Chocolate.” Like many other cakes, the Death By Chocolate cake has various recipes. I got mine from a book called “The Golden Book of Chocolate.” I’m going to have to get my hands on some of these books and other recipes to try them out and see which one I like the best. After all, you can never have too many books about chocolate or things to bake that have chocolate in them.

Julie, I’m very curious about this now. Are these cakes no-flour cakes, or do they just have similar ingredients, taste, and texture to truffles? I love chocolate truffles, so if there’s a cake out there that’s like a truffle I’d really like to learn how to make it.

CRenee - 07 February 2013 09:46 PM

Actually, I would love a suggestion for my quilted heart cake pan.  Ideas?  I am wondering if the Black Party Fudge Cake in RHC will work.

I don’t know if either of you have decided on which cake to bake in your heart-shaped pans, but as I was perusing through my TCB last night I saw the “Taste of Heaven” cake and wondered if one of the chocolate genoises could be made instead of the one in the original recipe (I think it’s the classic or the golden genoise). Then I turned to the genoise section and saw that the “Au Chocolate Genoise” can be baked in a 9x2-inch heart-shaped pan. You might consider this cake. And if you’re feeling daring, you might even try some sort of hybrid of the Au Chocolate and Taste of Heaven cakes.  Anyway, it’s just a thought. I’m sure whatever you choose it will be wonderful.

As for me, I still haven’t decided which cake to make, or if I even will make a cake. The problem I have is if I do make one I have no one to give it to, and I have no need to make one just for myself. That’s far too much cake for me to be consuming. Perhaps this is a good time for me to start my red velvet experiment. I’m still trying to decide if I want to to do this or not.

1 of 2