Sweet Potato Pie with ???
Posted: 07 February 2013 11:49 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2013-01-11

I would like a few suggestions for a tasty addition to the puree for a sweet potato pie that I’ll be making this weekend. I am considering an apple or some type of fruit preserves or perhaps ginger sauce. Any other ideas for me? If I went the apple route, which type of apple would you suggest? I am thinking perhaps Golden Delicious. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Jeff

Posted: 07 February 2013 05:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1174
Joined  2009-11-24

Regrets Jeff, I cannot help in the slightest.  Sweet Potato Pie is a stable on our holiday tables and other times.  There better not be anything in it but sweet potato and the spices….perhaps some brandy for a different flavor.  I can imagine apples in sweet potato cobbler.  Let us know what you decide and how it turns out.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 07 February 2013 09:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

My favorite sweet potato dessert is a southern sweet potato pie, and it has plenty of butter, pecans and a touch of bourbon.  Plus the traditional spices (ginger, cinnamon and cloves).  It is topped with a streusel-type topping of brown sugar, butter, pecans and flour.  Yummy.  smile  It is from Bill Neal’s Southern Cooking (except I use Rose’s pie crust, which is the best anywhere).

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 07 February 2013 11:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1174
Joined  2009-11-24

Julie!!  That streusel type topping sounds like it is the beginning of an idea for a filling for my sweet potato cake!!

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.