Sweet Potato Bundt Test Cake
Posted: 09 February 2013 03:32 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1215
Joined  2009-11-24

I said in a previous thread that I wanted to convert my sweet potato layer cake (which is really moist) to a bundt cake.  I think I made it with one try.  I cannot wrap my head around percentages and math.  I just chose an amount by which to increase the flour.  It is an oil cake and for this I tried 50/50 oil and butter.  (I may try increasing the flour sometime with the layer cake so it is easier to torte.  The cake is very popular so I will have to get approval of the frequent buyers. 

I am not certain why the bottom (top now) is darker.  I do not it was in the over a couple of minutes too long but it did not seem to suffer.  (That is reflected in the dark crust that was the edges of the cake).  This was baked in my 6 cup bundt pan. 

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 09 February 2013 10:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4839
Joined  2008-04-16

Looks great, congrats on more successful recipe development! 

Did you increase the flour as a proportion of the overall formula, or were you talking about scaling the recipe?  In general, a layer cake requires more structure than a bundt, so nearly any layer cake will work well in a bundt without needing adjustment of the formula (other than maybe scaling).  I find that many recipes designed for a single 9x2 layer will work in a 6 cup bundt without needing to be scaled.  The pan volumes are different, but you can fill a tube pan 3/4 full instead of the 1/2 to 2/3 that goes in a layer pan.  TMI?  wouldn’t be the first time…

Not sure about the darker bit- my first thought was oven heat- did the oven need to finish pre-heating or was the door opened more times than usual?  But that wouldn’t have had such a clear line of demarcation- the line makes it look more like it was related to the level of the batter when you filled the pan.  I keep thinking of pH and temperature- what could have made the pH more acidic as the cake bakes (I’ve no idea what could make that happen), or could the batter have been warmer than the pan?  I’m stumped.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 09 February 2013 12:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24

Thank you, Julie.  I am delighted with the result thus far.  I tried a sweet potato pound cake recipe I found on the internet (there are many) several months ago.  Converting my layer cake was the best idea. 

The layer cake is really moist and soft.  I think it holds up to the slicing because of the cream cheese frosting.  I used the amounts for two layers of 7 x 2.  And, just increaded the flour only by 25%.  I converted this from a recipe provided in volume measurement.  But I recall that the original was always pretty soft also.  Actually, that is not TMI - it is useful to know and remember. 

I am stumped on the line also.  I will be doing another test as I did not use the coconut and walnut I usually add (just did not want to waste it). 

Also, at some point I will try baking or microwaving the sweet potato.  Now, I boil them and puree the sweet potato with a potato ricer.  I am sure that contributes to the moistness.  If I do this, I will likely need to decrease the frosting.  And, this is only necessary to save labor.

I would not have the knowledge, instinct, or courage to test successfully like this were it not for this forum.  I love you people and this place!!

Signature 

Posted: 09 February 2013 12:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1652
Joined  2011-02-17

It looks great!  I never tried sweet potato cake. It really looks yummy.

Posted: 09 February 2013 12:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

Looks great to me! And what a nice picture

Posted: 09 February 2013 02:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1376
Joined  2008-09-27
CRenee - 09 February 2013 07:32 AM

I am not certain why the bottom (top now) is darker.

I hypothesize that the exterior of the batter warmed too quickly before the batter started expanding. Could the oven temperature be too hot? Did you use the same temperature as you used for the layer cake?

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 09 February 2013 04:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
CharlesT - 09 February 2013 06:59 PM
CRenee - 09 February 2013 07:32 AM

I am not certain why the bottom (top now) is darker.

I hypothesize that the exterior of the batter warmed too quickly before the batter started expanding. Could the oven temperature be too hot? Did you use the same temperature as you used for the layer cake?

No Charles.  That certainly is something to consider.  I set at 325 for the first 20 minutes and then 350 for the remaining 30.  I do the layered cake at 350.  This is similar to what I do for a pound cake in that same pan.  I will set at 350 the next time.

Signature 

Posted: 09 February 2013 04:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1376
Joined  2008-09-27
CRenee - 09 February 2013 08:30 PM

I set at 325 for the first 20 minutes and then 350 for the remaining 30.  I do the layered cake at 350.  This is similar to what I do for a pound cake in that same pan.  I will set at 350 the next time.

I was actually going to suggest the lower temperature if you hadn’t been using it, although I suspected you already were. If you’re cranking the temp up to 350 after 20 minutes, though, I think this would produce the same scenario as Julie envisioned when she asked if you’d finished preheating or opened the door more often than usual. The bottom heating element would be active for an unusually long time as it struggled to raise the temperature, and the radiant heat would make the bottom of the pan pretty hot. I’d bet that leaving the temp at 325 would remove the color banding.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 09 February 2013 06:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
CharlesT - 09 February 2013 08:59 PM
CRenee - 09 February 2013 08:30 PM

I set at 325 for the first 20 minutes and then 350 for the remaining 30.  I do the layered cake at 350.  This is similar to what I do for a pound cake in that same pan.  I will set at 350 the next time.

I was actually going to suggest the lower temperature if you hadn’t been using it, although I suspected you already were. If you’re cranking the temp up to 350 after 20 minutes, though, I think this would produce the same scenario as Julie envisioned when she asked if you’d finished preheating or opened the door more often than usual. The bottom heating element would be active for an unusually long time as it struggled to raise the temperature, and the radiant heat would make the bottom of the pan pretty hot. I’d bet that leaving the temp at 325 would remove the color banding.

THank you, Charles.  I will give that a try then.

Signature 

Posted: 09 February 2013 06:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24

Thank you Flour Girl… Thank you SweetNess.  Photography is still challenging to me.

Signature 

Posted: 09 February 2013 06:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  339
Joined  2009-01-22

That’s a beautiful bundt cake, CRenee. Looking at this just reminds me I need to add yet another piece of equipment to my kitchen - a bundt cake pan.

Posted: 09 February 2013 09:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1652
Joined  2011-02-17
CRenee - 09 February 2013 10:30 PM

Thank you Flour Girl… Thank you SweetNess.  Photography is still challenging to me.

You did great! The picture looks like I am looking through a window. I can almost taste your crumb.

Posted: 09 February 2013 11:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24

Thank you MP..  Yes, at least one bundt pan.  I like Nordicware.

Signature 

Posted: 09 February 2013 11:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Flour Girl - 10 February 2013 01:57 AM
CRenee - 09 February 2013 10:30 PM

You did great! The picture looks like I am looking through a window. I can almost taste your crumb.

Thank you Flour Girl.  I just take severa shots and pick one.

Signature 

Posted: 09 February 2013 11:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Flour Girl - 09 February 2013 04:28 PM

It looks great!  I never tried sweet potato cake. It really looks yummy.

To make one, Just take Rose’s pumpkin cake and replace the pumpkiin with cooked pureed sweet potato

Signature 

Posted: 11 February 2013 03:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Beautiful bundt!  The picture is really pretty, too.

‹‹ Zebra stripe cake      Classic Carrot Cake ››