Cannels Molds Metal ( copper ) vs. Silicone
Posted: 10 February 2013 12:12 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2012-11-20

I am researching the perfect recipe and the perfect mold to make French Cannels. I cannot find a recipe in any of the Rose Levy Beranbaum’s cookbooks.  Does Rose have a recipe that I am missing?  If so, please advise the cookbook name, recipe name and page number. 

Also, I need to determine the best material for the mold, ” Metal / Copper vs. Silicone.”  As the inside should remain a delicate pudding-like texture and the outside should be a semi-hard caramelized texture, is there any solid evidence that the metal / copper molds achieve a superior external caramelized texture than what may be realized using silicone?  I also find that the metal / copper molds are sold separately at around an average cost of $20.00 to $25.00 depending on the vendor.  Is there any discount for quantity on any brick and mortar store or online resource?  I find the silicone molds have a much lower price point and are much more affordable.  ( under $15.00 for one mold making 30 mini cannels ). I have found that the average recipe will make around 18 Cannels. 

There are also three different sizes that I have found for the metal /copper molds 1.25”, 1.75” and a 2 inch mold.  Besides average cooking times and batter quantity, will the size of the mold effect the texture and quality of the end product? 

I thank everyone in advance for sharing any information you may have collectively or individually. 

Happy Baking Everyone!

Posted: 10 February 2013 08:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1363
Joined  2008-09-27

I have no idea what “Cannels” are and Google shows me nothing.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 11 February 2013 11:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4804
Joined  2008-04-16

They’re spelled “canelle,” “cannele” or “canele”, and Paula Wolfort’s is supposed to be a great one:  http://www.paula-wolfert.com/recipes/canele.html

I can’t speak from experience, though.  I’m thoroughly interested, but stopped short of shelling out big buck for the little copper molds.  I would hesitate to try silicone, as I think it transfers heat very differently from copper and wouldn’t produce the crust properly.

I don’t recall ever seeing a recipe by Rose.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 11 February 2013 02:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-01-24

Interesting read at Paula Wolfort Julie. I have only read about these unfortunately but for what it is worth my first thought follows Julie’s silicone reservations. Please keep us updated on your progress.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 11 February 2013 03:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1363
Joined  2008-09-27

That site says you can use mini-bundt molds.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 12 February 2013 06:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  603
Joined  2007-11-27

A pastry chef friend in California made hundreds of these in her last job (I’ve never attempted them); she had the best results with copper molds and using beeswax.  I remember her saying she used silicone molds once or twice, but the outside of the cannele never formed that crisp/hard crust.  She also went through a bunch of different methods for coating the molds and found that beeswax was the best.  After listening to her efforts, I can honestly say I never wanted to make them! smile but the place where she worked sold dozens every day.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 12 February 2013 10:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  223
Joined  2009-11-20

Chef Tony B and All,
I didn’t post this at the time that I made them because it wasn’t Rose’s recipe. There are a lot of pictures on the post, if you are interested.
The copper molds are 2 inches. I also used a Nordic Ware Bundt pan . This was a delicious recipe and hope that you can try it.
A note on the molds, Sur La Table does sell metal molds (cheaper than the copper) but, I haven’t try them.
Darlene
http://cakesbydar.blogspot.com/2011/08/canneles-de-bordeaux-specialty-of.html

Posted: 12 February 2013 11:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4804
Joined  2008-04-16

@Jeanne, thanks for reporting those tips- so valuable!

@Darlene- very nice caneles!  Did the large one in the bundt turn out as good as the little ones?

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 12 February 2013 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  223
Joined  2009-11-20

Hi Julie,
Actually it did. Because of the pattern from the pan I was able to cut them up into larger pieces, delicious! smile