how to add cognac to sour cream butter cake-batter.
Posted: 10 February 2013 12:28 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2012-10-14

Yesterday I had a try-out for a new recipe I wanted to make. Vanilla cognac cake. I found the recipe on the internet. It was a bit of a desaster….
So I checked the recipe for amounts Rose would have chosen and found out the base of the cake was exactly the same as Rose’s Sour Cream Butter Cake in the CB. The internetrecipe said to heat it to 300 F.. wich I did.. so no wonder it was not fully done. I’ll correct that for Rose’s instructions for 350.
But the other thing was that the recipe added 1/4 cup of cognac to the recipe, leaving everything else the same. As if it wouln’t change the structure by adding such amount of liquid. That might be another reason the cake was very dense.

Does anybody have any advice how to add cognac to the batter and still have a light crumb if I wanted to use the sour cream butter cake recipe? If I leave out some of the sour cream the acidity and fat content woudn’t be the same….Or should I take the all-accasion downy yellow butter cake and sub milk for cognac?

I really would like to make this combination, because, whow.. the batter tasted sooo good.

Posted: 10 February 2013 04:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-10-14

Thank you both so much! reading Rose’s books I am getting into the sience of baking, but I am not as good as you guys. So I love your replies.
I looked up the buttermilk cake. And read the ‘Understanding’ part
It is probably a stupid question, but I don’t understand why the buttermilk does not affect the pH when sour cream does.
Maybe it is a problem that buttermilk here in Holland is most often acidified milk? I know one organic brand that besides acidified milk also has cultures from real buttermilk in it. Would that make the difference?

Posted: 12 February 2013 04:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-10-14

This thread is getting quit interesting!!

I’ve read two books of Rose (TB en HC) from A to Z but that is probably not enough to know exactly what her opinion is on sour cream and buttermilk.
In my own kitchen I use creme fraiche, which is a lovely taste to taste in baking goods. I haven’t used buttermilk just until last year. ( I drink it al the time for lunch, like you guys drink a glass of cold milk).
In cooking sour cream isn’t used here, it is considered to split when you boil it, the fat content is only 10%, while the creme fraiche is 30%. So when I use sour cream in a American recipe I mix it with creme fraiche.