More practice
Posted: 13 February 2013 05:40 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1179
Joined  2009-11-24

This is evidence how much I love baking.  It also shows how much I like total waste.

First,  I made two layers of heart cakes…and failed to do anything with one of them.  Then I also failed to freeze some leftover cooked frosting.  The result is this first cake.  The cooked frosting pipes and colors fine. 

The second cake was is yellow cake with lemon zest.  It is two layers of 8 inch with 2.5 tbls of zest.  Not enough I think. I found cake a little crumbly.  I am sure I did have it in the oven too long.  I have to say I really like CI’s yellow cake and have to see how it scales…or bake it again and see if I like it.  The frosting is IMBC with lemon juice and oil.  I definitely think I’d prefer to make lemon mousseline with curd.  The partakers enjoyed the cake and thought it was good.  No matter what, scratch baking especially Rose’s are much better than what people are accustomed to.

Image Attachments
heart1.jpgribbon1.jpg
 Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 13 February 2013 06:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  339
Joined  2009-01-22

Your cakes look beautiful, CRenee! I love the piping work you did. I’m interested to know how things turn out the next time if you use more zest. Nicely done!

- MP smile

Posted: 13 February 2013 08:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

Oh so pretty! I love everything you do CRenee

Posted: 13 February 2013 11:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24

thank you, MP . Flour Girl.  You both are so kind.  You folks here on the forum set the bar really high.  I keep working at it.

Signature 

Posted: 13 February 2013 11:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  910
Joined  2009-05-25

Lovely cakes CRenee!  I wish I could try a piece of each one…

Not sure what kind of lemon cake you are after but Rose’s lemon chiffon is absolutely incredible (the recipe is in TCB but I’ve adapted it to the technique for a layer cake as for the Orange Glow Chiffon in RHC)!  I normally love chocolate, but this one even beats out some of the best chocolate…Top it off with the white chocolate lemon butter cream (from the wedding cake section in RHC—can’t remember the name) and it’s absolute bliss…

Posted: 14 February 2013 08:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

They look wonderful!  The “cooked” frosting is quite white and takes color well.

I second Sherrie’s love of the lemon chiffon layer from RHC- I love it with lemon curd cream and blueberries/raspberries, but I haven’t tried it yet with the white chocolate vanilla bean frosting from the Golden Lemon wedding cake.  That buttercream is one of my all-time favorites, bet it would be great with the lemon chiffon.  I wonder if Rose is putting the lemon chiffon in the Baking Bible, and if so, what she’ll pair with it.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 14 February 2013 08:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Sherrie - 14 February 2013 03:27 AM

Lovely cakes CRenee!  I wish I could try a piece of each one…

Not sure what kind of lemon cake you are after but Rose’s lemon chiffon is absolutely incredible (the recipe is in TCB but I’ve adapted it to the technique for a layer cake as for the Orange Glow Chiffon in RHC)! ...

Thank yuou Sherrie.  I did glance at those Chiffon cakes.  I will study them more.

Signature 

Posted: 14 February 2013 08:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Julie - 14 February 2013 12:41 PM

They look wonderful!  The “cooked” frosting is quite white and takes color well.

I second Sherrie’s love of the lemon chiffon layer from RHC- I love it with lemon curd cream and blueberries/raspberries, but I haven’t tried it yet with the white chocolate vanilla bean frosting from the Golden Lemon wedding cake.  That buttercream is one of my all-time favorites, bet it would be great with the lemon chiffon.  I wonder if Rose is putting the lemon chiffon in the Baking Bible, and if so, what she’ll pair with it.

Thank you Julie. the cooked frosting is one I will use again.  I wonder what is going in the Baking Bible period. Meanwhile, I will try to catch up on other cakes I have not tried.

Signature 

Posted: 14 February 2013 09:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

Looks great! I love the heart cakr

Posted: 15 February 2013 03:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3168
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Renee!

Love your cakes.  I particularly love the pink piping and how it looks like a continuous spiral. 

Also love the positioning of the two cute harts!!!!!

—ak