Airbrush Kit
Posted: 06 August 2008 03:14 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  41
Joined  2008-01-09

Hi, just want to know if anyone can recommend an airbrush brand to buy.  My local cake decorating supplier mentioned she bought hers at a local tool store and at much lees money than those “specially” made for cake decorating.  But my main concern is if this is ok for food use?  Or are they all typically made with the same materials and cake decorating companies simply charge more for them because they are specifically for cake???

Any suggestion greatly appreciated!!!

Rose Villanueva

Posted: 09 August 2008 12:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  592
Joined  2007-11-27

I think the real difference is in the power of the compressor.  The red model (I got it from Beryl’s but it is a KopyKake model) has worked really well for me for years - at least until I took it apart one time and then lost one of the tiny little pieces in the front.  Now it splays rather than sprays but that’s beside the point! It was expensive but worth it, I like to airbrush flowers rather than paint them.  Some bakers use the airbrush to color their fondant cakes (rather than coloring the fondant). 

A lot of my pastry chef friends use a Badger air brush and are happy with it; if you buy from an art store, just make sure it is new, and maybe run some airbrush cleaner fluid through it first, then plain water a few times and you’ll be good to go.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)